It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southwest and Norwegian get Max launch customer title snatched away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I thought we could all use a lighter thread today, and saw this on Flight. For several months Southwest and Norwegian have been arguing over who was the actual 737 Max 8 launch customer. Southwest was the first scheduled to take delivery, but won't start service until October, while Norwegian will start service in June. Both claimed launch customer status, based on delivery, and first service dates.

Well now it turns out they're both wrong. While they were arguing, it was quietly announced that Malaysian carrier Malindo Air will become the first to operate a revenue route with a Max 8. They are scheduled to take delivery in the second quarter, and begin flying their first aircraft from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Petty squabbling loses again...

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

It was funny as hell watching them going back and forth a couple months ago. This just makes it funnier.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

The efficiency the aircraft offers the potential for lower airfares and is a great marketing tool.

I suppose this news puts a damper on SW and Norwegian's ability to capitalize on being the "first".

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I remember growing up, not one airline even considered going over water with less than three engines, with four being preferred. Now they're flying 737s on 7 and 8 hour routes. It's been amazing watching the evolution over the years.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I recently took a 737 from Miami to New Orleans. Great flight. Mostly over the Gulf of Mexico. Times, they are a'changin.
edit on 21-3-2017 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: introvert

I remember growing up, not one airline even considered going over water with less than three engines, with four being preferred. Now they're flying 737s on 7 and 8 hour routes. It's been amazing watching the evolution over the years.

I agree.

Technology has taken air flight to amazing levels and I am still in the early stages of learning about much of it.

While being the "first" with this new technology seems petty, I suppose it is that competitive nature that pushes the industry to new innovation.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I thought we could all use a lighter thread today, and saw this on Flight. For several months Southwest and Norwegian have been arguing over who was the actual 737 Max 8 launch customer. Southwest was the first scheduled to take delivery, but won't start service until October, while Norwegian will start service in June. Both claimed launch customer status, based on delivery, and first service dates.

Well now it turns out they're both wrong. While they were arguing, it was quietly announced that Malaysian carrier Malindo Air will become the first to operate a revenue route with a Max 8. They are scheduled to take delivery in the second quarter, and begin flying their first aircraft from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.

www.flightglobal.com...

The Russians rigged the selection of the launch customer......

new topics

top topics

join