It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual Private Network Discussion - How to better hide yourself while on the Internet.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Have paid for VPN the last 10 years but not for (hiding).

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Don't use any CISCO products until they fix the zero-day exploit from the CIA in TELNET

Breaking Article: CISCO: 300 Devices Network Switch Exploited by CIA - Vault 7

Disable Telnet On Vulnerable Models — Patch is not Available Yet! The vulnerability affects 264 Catalyst switches, 51 industrial Ethernet switches, and 3 other devices, which includes Catalyst switches, Embedded Service 2020 switches, Enhanced Layer 2/3 EtherSwitch Service Module, Enhanced Layer 2 EtherSwitch Service Module, ME 4924-10GE switch, IE Industrial Ethernet switches, RF Gateway 10, SM-X Layer 2/3 EtherSwitch Service Module, and Gigabit Ethernet Switch Module (CGESM) for HP. (check complete list here) Currently, this vulnerability is unpatched, and until patches are available, Cisco recommends its users to disable the Telnet connection to the switch devices in favor of SSH. The company's advisory doesn't talk about any working exploit using this flaw, but if there's one, tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of devices installed around the world look to have been at great risk for an unknown period — Thanks to the CIA for holding the flaw. Cisco will update its IOS Software Checker tool immediately as soon as the patches come out.

edit on 20-3-17 by zGrimReapah because: Adding Excerpt

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

VPN - Virtual Privacy Network

Actually it's Virtual Private Network. It imitates a private network while transmitting over the public networks of the internet.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Lots of valuable information here.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Also, if you want to be truly invisible you cannot use just one tool, you need to use multiple.

Sandboxing is a good idea if you don't want anything saved onto your operating system, so for instance you want to visit a page, however you have been warned the website may track your information or there may be suspicious ads that may contain malware load a VMWare window and load it that way

This will not keep your internet habits private, but it will prevent infecting your system because you loaded a virtual environment.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: zGrimReapah

P.S: The vault 7 leaks prove the CIA target you before encryption, all devices are compromised, so no VPN is safe.

Better to use a tails boot up run tor under a vpn.. Not much to hack on a virtual machine..

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
All TCP/IP aka internet traffic needs a return address so it knows where to send your cat pictures asking for cheeseburgers etc.

The VPN will have to do the extra routing and thus a chain link can be done depending on the VPS's logging effort and I would imagine that most keep as little as is legal in where they are in the world. But you can with effort work out what does go on enough to sort of draw attention as the the ISP logs will show activity at a certain time and that co-insides with the vpn based access. So long term if possible to profile someone if needed with very little effort

You don't have to be able to decrypt packets in real time but i'm sure our spooks are well up for the job.

And to anyone in GCHQ watching, can you send me that URL again for that 2 lesbian thing I watched last Thursday

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If nothing else this could be a nice history lesson.
I'm sure they were already planning our internet back in 1958 when they invented LISP and everyone was excited about the potential for Turing machines.

These days V still equals IR and there are commercial superconducting receivers similar to the government monitoring equipment they used back in the 1960's so who knows.
edit on 20-3-2017 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join