It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Treasury urges Congress to increase debt limit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The U.S. Treasury has started with the "extraordinary measures" since March 15th when the U.S. debt ceiling went back into effect.

That means the debt "borrowing" will be limited until Congress passes a new ceiling.

This happened right in the middle of all the current controversies and suspicions surrounding Trump and what not !!

US Treasury urges Congress to increase debt limit

"Since the ceiling does not explicitly restrict the government's ability to refinance existing debt, and the government's market access is not in question, the only question relates to interest payments, for which the government can use extraordinary measures." said Sarah Carlson, a senior vice president at Moody's.

Moody's said it expects the federal government to raise the debt ceiling before risking a default and that extraordinary measures would give lawmakers enough time - roughly until October or November - to reach a deal.

be aware the article has some links included from years ago stories. They make it look like current info however

Just hours before the U.S. missed some of its payments, Congress increased the debt limit, but not before ratings agency Standard & Poor's downgraded the U.S. credit rating for the first time in its history - saying U.S. Treasury debt no longer deserved status as the safest in the world.

edit on Mar-19-2017 by xuenchen because: alwaysatrick

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think the US should not have the debt limit raised. If we were at a bank I wonder if they would give the US a loan?

We are still spending like we have to bail out the banks. Is that not done? Are we to keep on this pace of debt?

Is Trump going to continue this craziness?
edit on 19-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The U.S. Government borrows money by issuing Treasury Securities.

That's where they get the money to over-spend every year.

Right now, they will be limiting those Securities issues, and the total national debt might freeze for a while.

Currently, the U.S. is handling around $47 trillion worth of Securities.

Wild.

(post by dukeofjive696969 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Nice that you took the time to comment.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Why worry, you guys got chump, oups i mean trump to save the day, im sure hes going to tweet about it, and all the debt will disappear.

The timing of this is directly traceable to Obama and John Boehner who agreed in 2015 to "kick the can" down the road until March 2017 and permit Obama's overspending by $80 billion dollars.

This situation just illustrates the complicity of our Legislators on both sides of Congress in avoiding any substantive changes to try and fix the budget. If Trump is able to stop the fiscal hemorrhaging it will be more that your Saint Obama ever attempted in his eight year reign.....sorry I forgot you're Canadian.
edit on 19-3-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

A "swish" moment locked in time warp.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Even better, this time you posted a meme, but hurry now go click that alert button, gotta tell those mods how the evil canadian commie is picking on you again.

Oh and the only punchline in this thread is you.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Even better, this time you posted a meme, but hurry now go click that alert button, gotta tell those mods how the evil canadian commie is picking on you again.

Who knew it was so easy to trigger a Canadian?

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: WilliamtheResolute

Aaa

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

Who knew it was so easy to trigger a Canadian?

Come on man, you can do better than parroting the only thing trump fans have, so no proof as usual, just banter,dont quit your day job.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I was talking about me.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I was talking about me.

We have a winner here people, must be the first time you where honest since you joined, have a drink on me.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Why worry, you guys got chump, oups i mean trump to save the day, im sure hes going to tweet about it, and all the debt will disappear.

as if he created it, why haven't you whined about it during the past 8 years? hypocrisy at its best

im not an american but let me tell you something, put up or SU, if you dont have a solution to this problem then stop whining about a problem that was created by both parties, and While We're At it why dont we start with Reagan

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
We need a wall on that border too

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
the debt limit HAS TO BE RAISED!....it's money that has already been spent....the time to cut the FUTURE or next years debt is at "markup" of the federal budget this year...this is why you need really, really experienced people at the CBO, they can tell you approx. how much everything will cost.....NOT EXACTLY for all you trump voters out there, but damn closer than anyone else.
edit on 19-3-2017 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Congress are the ones that raise debt limits.

Not Trump.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
if the government shows any signs of defaulting on the debt, go out and buy gold.... or silver (for everyday expenses), because your cash will be worth a lot less

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

a reply to: jimmyx

Congress are the ones that raise debt limits.

Not Trump.

yeah and?...the CBO stands for the congressional budget office, is that why you said "not trump"

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Psst...

The thread is about Congress raising the debt limit and not about each other.

Please keep your posts on-topic.

Posts will be removed from this point on.

Don't reply to this PSA

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join