It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just preordered Mass Effect Andromeda.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

It's crazy, right? One of the reviews I saw poked fun at another reviewer for complaining "the scale of the game is almost overwhelming." They were like "so...it's a negative that the game has a buttload of stuff to do? Really?"

For all the buggy facial stuff and the occasionally confusing nav points and all that, I love this game so far. I suspect a lot of the stuff will be either patched out or corrected in subsequent titles. I'm just impressed as all hell so far. Can't count the number of times I've driven up to the very top of some craggy outcrop and just slowly done a 360 to take in the view, or just looked out cabin windows on the Tempest. Mind boggling.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Thanks guys for replying to my questions!! Nobody shout at me but I never played the other mass effect games!! I liked the look of ME:A and was going to order it this weekend then I read all of the negative press for it and was undecided. now I might just take the plunge!

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

That's one of things that I heard mentioned in a review - you can close out a location and then pick up a quest somewhere else that will have you bouncing back to open up entirely new areas and threads.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

The biggest problem I've seen is that the original trilogy set a very high bar for most people in what to expect from a Mass Effect game, and that's from stories to characters to animation to world-building. Andromeda doesn't meet that bar, and that's setting people off about it.

Somebody like you, that doesn't have the original trilogy in your memory banks, would probably only really have the technical complaints but not much else and as a standalone game I suspect you'll be highly pleased with it.

I'd strongly encourage you to give the original trio a play through (or ten), though, at some point. Absolutely amazing games.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Hmmmm.....I don't know about "not meeting the bar".

In Andromeda you're setting up and entire area of a galaxy to colonize, setting up outposts, deciding who gets out of stasis first, having to craft things, and to do that you have to locate find find resources, all while fighting off bad guys. There is story to be found and if you talk to enough people, you get more background, both from those you came here with, and those who are from here.

You have a lot more say in what is going on, and what path you take. Much more than any of the first 3 ME games. By the time ME3 rolled around it was: Run from the reapers, and when you're done with that: run from the reapers some more.

On top of that, you also had to deal with paragon and renegade points: Don't have enough of either? OH, so sorry, that locks out options that you have in discussions.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first 3 ME games. But ME:A seems to shout "MORROWIND" to me. It's feels that open ended. Like they've thrown us in and pretty much said: Good luck! Hope you make the best choices.

Time will tell I guess. Fans and Players are what makes or breaks a game. Personally I tend to ignore critics and make my own decisions on things. So far ME:A get's 2 thumbs up from me. The only thing I don't like about it right now is not being able to save during priority missions....but then playing Bioshock: Infinity got me used to that.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

It's a poor choice of words for lack of knowing a better way to put it, on my part, is all. ME:A is a different direction than what the first three were. So going into ME:A and expecting the same thing you had a few years ago with the other games, you're going to find it lacking and I think that's what is the genesis of a lot of the complaints people have about it: it's not a continuation of the original trilogy but rather a different direction. And despite the fact that BioWare has told us that since they started work on ME:A, it seems to me some people didn't take it to heart and are judging the game from that perspective.

As far as biggest gripes: I'm finding (on xb1) the crafting/resources menus are not the most user friendly things ever. They seem overly complicated to me and it's causing me to ignore that stuff.
edit on 23-3-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Man, I don't know what some of these reviewers are even complaining about. The game has been outstanding in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I have beat all three of the Mass Effects four or five times a piece. It's my favorite franchise. To me, Andromeda feels like Mass Effect, just a new story. It has been very good.
edit on 23-3-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

That's the only thing I can think of too.

My answer to them is: Whaaaaaaa. Cry me some more.

edit on 3/23/2017 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think one of the biggest mistakes Bioware made was releasing the game early in the year. Historically, games released in first six months do not get reviewed very well and even the ones that do get forgotten by the end of the year. I guess that's what amazed me about Witcher 3's success. It was released in June of 2015 and never really lost steam. It's uncommon.
edit on 23-3-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I am having trouble with the crafting too. I'm not quite sure how the comparison is working for me. Am I measuring the new one against the old? Old against new? Which set of numbers is the first set matters, but I'm not sure which is which. I'm also unsure if I'm seeing augmented and modded numbers in that comparison.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Can't wait to play this game. I loved the first Mass Effect Trilogy. This is a must buy for me. Luckily, I am currently playing something else. So I can wait a little longer to buy the game.

Which helps out the ole pocket book. The price is already dropping fast, like Deus Ex Mankind Divided dropped fast. It is already 27 percent off on GMG and it has only been out for 3 days.

LINK
edit on 24-3-2017 by karmicecstasy because: Reapers

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Well, people seemed deadset to pooh-pooh the game before it even released. In general most people rated it between a 7 and 8. However, I have seen a couple of reviews that said it was a 6. That's a joke. The game isn't less than an 8 and honestly, if it were not for the animation "problem," which is only a "problem" for graphic fanatics, the game would easily be a 9.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I am going be that person. I feel like the ships and combat and environments look so good, and that they spent so much time even making all the guns "feel" different in combat, that I wish the animation didn't feel like such an afterthought. Even the angara are sort of bothering me. They look so awkward and wonky. No fluidity at all.

It's not killing the game for me, but when so much of my appreciation is tied in with how immersed I get in the story, every element that gets me into the story is important and how the NPCs look is part of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join