It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Government 'cyanide bomb' seriously injures 14-year-old boy and kills his dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
USDA plants cyanide bombs 300 meters away from a swing-set in a populated area. Time to ban these things now. Really, who here thinks that these are a "good idea"?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A 14-year-old boy was hospitalized and his dog killed when he picked up a government-planted, cyanide-filled 'bomb' near his Idaho home, causing it to spray them both with the toxic substance.

Canyon Mansfield, 14, was playing with his yellow Labrador retriever, Casey, near their home east of Pocatello Thursday afternoon when he bent to pick up what he thought was a sprinkler head on the ground, causing it to go off.

'Canyon said there was a bang like a bomb,' said mom Theresa Mansfield, 'then an explosion of an orange substance that covered him and Casey, who was writhing in pain on the ground before he died right in front of Canyon.'

The spring-mounted cyanide made Casey to die in agony while the boy watched

Casey must now be checked daily to monitor his toxicity levels

Some 903 dogs were killed by the bombs from 2003-2014

A similar incident happened in Wyoming last week, with two dogs killed

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
why is this a UK link? This should be front page of every one of our ridiculously over funded media sources over here

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Those are usually marked with a sign for coyotes.....

What a stupid dude set that

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

This thread has been done here, and Fox computer News, for one US source, has reported it.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

USDA plants cyanide bombs 300 meters away from a swing-set in a populated area. Time to ban these things now. Really, who here thinks that these are a "good idea"?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A 14-year-old boy was hospitalized and his dog killed when he picked up a government-planted, cyanide-filled 'bomb' near his Idaho home, causing it to spray them both with the toxic substance.

Canyon Mansfield, 14, was playing with his yellow Labrador retriever, Casey, near their home east of Pocatello Thursday afternoon when he bent to pick up what he thought was a sprinkler head on the ground, causing it to go off.

'Canyon said there was a bang like a bomb,' said mom Theresa Mansfield, 'then an explosion of an orange substance that covered him and Casey, who was writhing in pain on the ground before he died right in front of Canyon.'

Some 903 dogs were killed by the bombs from 2003-2014

A similar incident happened in Wyoming last week, with two dogs killed

An act of morons no doubt, I never heard of the like of this before, crazy...a pet dies and a youngster likely lucky to be alive.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Please excuse my ignorance but why is there cyanide bombs planted allover the place? Is this baiting for unwanted wildlife?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang
Please excuse my ignorance but why is there cyanide bombs planted allover the place? Is this baiting for unwanted wildlife?

It appears so, first I had heard of it as well.

Freeking Cyanide Bombs.... really?
edit on 18-3-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I was about to post this... you beat me to it! S&F

I'm surprised it wasn't the BLM -- as in Bureau of Land Management. But the Wildlife Services work hand-in-hand with them to do their dirty deeds, so I guess it's not much different. And it's not the first time. From your link:

According to USDA statistics hosted on the anti-trapping website Predator Defense, between 2003 and 2014, 930 dogs were killed by M-44s. In that same period they killed 150,881 coyotes. However, Predator Defense says the statistics are 'highly suspect' as 'employees within Wildlife Services have repeatedly told us many deaths are not reported.'

And another similar story:

Wyoming Families Out for Pleasant Walk Lose Two Dogs to M-44 "Cyanide Bomb"

The family is damned lucky it didn't get their 8-year-old daughter as well.

At least the Sheriff isn't sitting on his hands:

Sheriff Nielsen, who described the devices as 'cyanide bombs,' also said no notice was given to authorities about their placement.

'I've been a sheriff here for 20 years and worked for the office for 39 years, and I've never heard of leaving around a device that emits poisonous gas,' he said.

Nielsen said he intended to meet federal officials next week to 'get to the bottom of this.'

Absolutely shameful and unconscionable.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang

Yes, for coyotes.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Existing thread..freaking crazy who would think this is a good idea.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-3-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well, you know, as far as bureaucrats are concerned only vermin live in red states these. Deplorables and coyotes and stuff.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Erm why does the USA have random cyanide bombs planted over the place?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Ummmm,, I think that this might be our government out of control?? Cyanide bombs!!! Probably enacted because some left wing looney thought that it was bad to shoot the coyotes, guns are much more dangerous and scary then random bombs!!

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

cause 'murica!

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What the heck? There should be warnings put out for these.
Looks like local Idaho news covered it;
. KXLY
. ID Statemans
.KTVB
edit on 18-3-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

A cheap form of pest control is my guess.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

i will address the " meat " of the issue later - but for now - this tail is a poster child for the utter debasement of daily fail " journalism "

Canyon Mansfield, 14, was playing with his dog, Casey, on Thursday in Idaho
They came across an M-44 'cyanide bomb' planted to kill coyotes in the area
Canyon, not seeing any warning signs, picked it up, causing it to detonate

has it sunk in yet ???

this is SUPPOSED to be a national newspaper in an english speaking country

that looks more like a robot translation from another language

and i dont even want to think about why a dead dog is :

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I have found two of those devices while metal detecting and they did not have warning signs with them but luckily they had already discharged years before.

Why were they left in the field and why are government employees leaving what are out right dangerous booby traps in areas where the public can be injured by them.

I know now to call the bomb disposal team to remove them.

I am always very careful with anything strange i find while metal detecting because i metal detect in areas that were used during WW2 as bombing ranges and gunnery ranges and have found live ordnance and had to call the EOD teams before.
edit on 20-3-2017 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

join