It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Mirror Season 3 EP1 - Nosedive. It's Like ATS, Stars and All! On Netflix.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Today, I stumbled across a thread from last year that is basically a circle jerk of ATSers talking about who their favorite ATS members are.

That thread by Reldra can be found by clicking HERE!

Due to some weird desire within, I began scrolling through to see if anyone fancied WookieP, that guy ol' uncle Ron once mentioned in a drunken stupor at Thanksgiving that one year. I gave up by page 13. To my complete lack of surprise, nobody had even given Chewbacca with a "P" so much as an honorable mention! I then pondered to myself that if there was a LEAST liked ATS member list, that I might perhaps make that one? Let's face it, no-one likes to be average! We will never know however, because I'm pretty sure that would violate ATS T&C's. It would be fun though to know! All in good fun of course. The truth is, I will most likely never meet 99% of anyone on ATS in real life. So it matters not, but it would STILL be fun and interesting to know....

It's a human psychological conundrum when faced with the reality of being "average". But all hope is NOT lost! ATS has a wonderful "starring" system to help ease the minds of non-popular ATSer's who feel dumped in the trash! It's a sick method, but each star is a recognition of self-worth. When someone stars you, your words MEANT something to someone..somewhere! It's like a scooby snack for being important for that couple of seconds it took that person to read your post. Yeah it's pretty sick really, lol.

Anyway....This brings me to a series available on Netflix called "Black Mirror". Specifically season 3 EP 1. "Nosedive".

I must admit. Black Mirror is mostly dark, it's kinda like a modern Twilight Zone with a technological twist. However, THIS episode had me rolling. Don't get me wrong, it IS dark, but still so refreshingly hilarious at the same time. Imagine if the new credit system was based on what other people thought of you through a "star" ranking social media system. The lower the score, the worse off you will be. A popularity contest.

The concept kinda holds true today. After all, your success rate does kind of depend on "who you know, and what they think of you", in many industries today like Hollywood etc. I do hope society never goes full retard as seen in this 1 hour show. At this point, it really wouldn't surprise me.

If you have Netflix, this is a MUST WATCH. Most ATS'ers would appreciate it, I think. Check it out!

Black Mirror Nosedive - IMDB
edit on 17-3-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Everyone feels dumped in the trash from time to time. This isn't a popularity contest.

imo

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Everyone feels dumped in the trash from time to time. This isn't a popularity contest.

imo

I totally agree intrptr. I hate popularity contests anyway.... But the world KIND of does .....in a sick way, operate on "popularity". It's why being "liberal" is so popular because that is what is being sold by almost everyone on T.V and even social media.. Look at late night T.V., Hollywood etc. People buy it up, even tho the new progressive liberal ideals make no sense whatsoever!

However, if you get a chance check out the Black Mirror EP. It will have you laughing if anything else. It's kinda twisted because its sick, but an exaggerated version of our current social media etc.
edit on 17-3-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

The programme sounds interesting, but in real life I don't give a # who agrees with me.
I never joined ATS to make friends, just to enjoy entertaining debate.
The shed thread is where people looking for friends go, and I avoid.
Consider it a safe space.

*edit*
If you want stars just post some lame poetry in The Shed thread then you'll get them a plenty, as well as pictures of dragon cookies or similar on your ATS joining date anniversary.
I personally don't give a # about that stuff myself.
edit on 17.3.2017 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Thanks for pointing at it. I'll have to review it some other time.

googled

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Hey I like ya dude! I never make those back-patting lists either. Frankly, I see it as a compliment now. Thank god I'm not one of the popular crowd!

Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity

I enjoy your posts so keep it up my fellow drummer.

edit on 18-3-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I watched parts of season 1 & 2.

I will def check out that episode.

thanx

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Imagine if the new credit system was based on what other people thought of you through a "star" ranking social media system. The lower the score, the worse off you will be. A popularity contest.

I've seen this ep of Black Mirror and it was very good. It's worth mentioning that something like this is already underway in China. Post something bad on the internet and you lose credit... even just having friends with a low score in your social network will lower your score. I've read that by 2020 the credit system will be mandatory for all people in China. The parallels to this episode are remarkable, I suspect it was their inspiration.

The Chinese government has announced a new universal reputation score, tied to every person in the country's nation ID number and based on such factors as political compliance, hobbies, shopping, and whether you play videogames.

It's a perfect storm of terrible: the program will be administered by Alibaba (China's answer to Amazon) and Tencent (the country's huge, government-compliant social network). Your score will be generated not only by your activities, but by the activities of the friends in your social graph -- the people you identify as friends on social media. Your score will be decremented for doing things like mentioning Tienanmen Square or speculating on official corruption, or for participating in activities that the state wishes to "nudge" you away from, like playing video-games.

All scores are public to everyone, and high-scoring individuals will get privileges denied to their less fortunate peers, such as permits to visit (or live) in Singapore (you can't make this # up).

Already, some Chinese people are embracing their scores as bragworthy.

China's new "Citizen Scores" will rate every person in the country

edit on 18/3/2017 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Wow.

Thank you for sharing that ChaoticOrder. That's pretty scary, if true....

Your example hits the nail on the head when it comes to the message this Black Mirror EP is trying to convey. Yes, the show does depict an exaggerated version of what could happen in society if left un-checked. We ARE seeing a small version of this taking place now. It is a creepy kinda orwellian concept. It's a world in which the people will not be governed by government, rather a manipulated populous. I think it's important to recognize that we should not "progress" in that type of manner. God help us if we do!

edit on 18-3-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Thanks bro!

Us drummers gotta look out for each other man! Haha.

This really isn't about my own lack of "recognition" via the ATS star system though as it is the connection between social media acceptance and a possible future involving "popularity" verses raw talent, as the Black Mirror EP illustrates.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I think it's important to recognize that we should not "progress" in that type of manner.

What I find very surprising is that a huge population could all be convinced it's a good thing and have little resistance against it. It just baffles me that the Chinese people could even believe for two seconds that this is a good direction for society to head. They all need to be strapped down into a seat and forced to watch Black Mirror S03E01.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

I think it's important to recognize that we should not "progress" in that type of manner.

What I find very surprising is that a huge population could all be convinced it's a good thing and have little resistance against it. .

I completely agree. I do see it happening now though, even in western society. I won't go much further into those details because I have no desire to derail my own thread with politics... But I DO see it happening right before our eyes.

It's kinda like when the republic is destroyed yet met with thunderous applause...because the PEOPLE made it happen, even though the govt influenced them right under their noses.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I wasn't quite sure what to say in here, only that you do have self worth and to give you hug if you don't mind. Stars and flags and lists don't define you. Hell, you are a musician, that's pretty awesome in my eyes. Not everyone can play the drums. I'm sure there are other things that take you away from being just average. So...here's my hug.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Night Star, you are clearly among the most caring members on ATS, such a heart you have! Thank you! (Hugs back!)

However, I think I should have worded the OP differently. LOL, I am a terrible writer and I think the main point is being lost. That's ok though, we aren't all writers!!

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Some people are going to hate me for this post and put me on their list, but I must respond to what you said in part:

"I've seen this ep of Black Mirror and it was very good. It's worth mentioning that something like this is already underway in China. Post something bad on the internet and you lose credit... even just having friends with a low score in your social network will lower your score. I've read that by 2020 the credit system will be mandatory for all people in China. The parallels to this episode are remarkable, I suspect it was their inspiration."

I see our world moving toward just that form of a system. That would be Political Correctness at its supreme. Some folks will applaud such a social "control" system arising for the masses. But I must point out that China, for example, will have its own norms for that shifty business and it will be built around the desires of the communist party.

In the West it would be built around liberal progressive ideals (because they care deeply). If FaceBook can be seen as a form of social engineering, including a "Like" (or cleverly worded similarly) button is not far behind as users already have a somewhat similar, less direct method of assessing the worth/value of other people. Granted that would be a personal shaming, highly disdained by the PC folks but it would be used as they now use the word "hate," ignored in their own practices but used on others outside the fold. The word "social" is going to take on a new meaning I reckon.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

You said it! That is exactly much of what I'm saying. I'm not even sure we agree politically, but yes, THIS.

In the West it would be built around liberal progressive ideals (because they care deeply). If FaceBook can be seen as a form of social engineering, including a "Like" (or cleverly worded similarly) button is not far behind as users already have a somewhat similar, less direct method of assessing the worth/value of other people. Granted that would be a personal shaming, highly disdained by the PC folks but it would be used as they now use the word "hate," ignored in their own practices but used on others outside the fold. The word "social" is going to take on a new meaning I reckon.

It seems like the longer I go on living, the less I am able to really explain things. I did a terrible job at it. Your explanation is great.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I completely agree. I do see it happening now though, even in western society. I won't go much further into those details because I have no desire to derail my own thread with politics... But I DO see it happening right before our eyes.

I think the main issue with entwining social media networks into our life is the issue of becoming separated from reality and only doing things because we think others will like it, not because we will like it. That actually seems to be the main underlying theme of this episode of Black Mirror. The part where she is practicing her laugh in front of the mirror, or the part where she takes a bite from the cookie and then spits it out just so she could take a picture of the half eaten cookie, that part had a lot of impact for me even though it was a seemingly mundane scene.

I think even now Facebook is doing that to people, it's causing them to become these fake personalities developed for the sole purpose of impressing others. The women in the truck was my favourite character from this ep of Black Mirror because she was one of the only real people in it, she wasn't afraid to say what she thought just because others might not like what she has to say. I absolutely do not want to live in a reality surrounded by fake people afraid to say what they really think, that is not living, it is blasphemy against the freedom of the human spirit.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Succinctly and accurately written. You speak the truth my friend!

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Just watched it - thought it was awesome. Are the other episodes as good?

After reading the other replies I must say the thing about China sounds pretty spooky.

Just remember to keep your nose brown and always smile.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: jafo1973
Just watched it - thought it was awesome. Are the other episodes as good?

I would say that S03E01 is one of the best in the series but they're all quite good. However if you're looking for another episode to watch I would suggest S02E01.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join