It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s budget would cut funding for Appalachia — and his allies in coal country are livid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Cuts. 340 million in cuts not a removal of funding. Sorry, I think heavy cuts should be made to all programs in the US except military funding. Too many places are bloated and money is wasted.

Why? we going to war?

I think the military should be slashed in half. It would still constitute the largest military on earth..and again..we aren't at war.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

...I'm more interested in what the German business representatives who visited the White House today recommended to the Administration about training and retraining a workforce in the 21st Century.

For business, it will be all about apprenticeships. Business will finally begin to train the workforce it needs.

Preparing for accelerating change!

Wotta concept. Too bad 'accelerating' has 5 syllables. It'll never fly.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
This is exactly what we need.
Less handouts and more jobs.
I don't see the problem.

Right, and we'll do that by...f$ing the poorest & least educated counties in the country over in terms of how to achieve attracting and expanding on those jobs? What exactly is there in those counties for these people to fall back on without the help? Hint: Nothing but a dead industry. Way to think beyond your nose.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
We tried to tell you people.

YES!

We did.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: Indigo5

The ARC needs to be disbanded. It was created by LBJ. Has it improved the poverty levels in any one of those counties?

I would argue that ARC prevented rural Appalachia from becoming like 3rd word rural communities..Via education opportunity, highways and access to technology resources..

But sure..Cut them off..

Trump has NOTHING in common with the marks he conned into voting for his Billionaire lifestyle..

The coming years in America are going to be painful, but needed..It will be a bloodbath in 2020..likely 2018 as well.

The average Appalachian might not have the same opportunities as most, but their circumstances demand they have above average common sense and smarts. Trump is screwing the people that elected him.

How is offering them jobs instead of hand-outs "screwing" them? When you have a job your income is based on how willing you are to work. When you are getting hand-outs your income is fixed.

American power plants may not be using coal but we can still export it. He promised to put the coal miners back to work---so they voted for him because they want to work. Giving them back their jobs also gives them back their dignity. Why are you opposed to that?

These programs, after over five decades and literally millions of dollars, have done nothing to eliminate poverty in the mountains. (That is, the real measures of poverty, not the twisted and controlled government propaganda. I know there are numerous studies that can be cited...) Granted, it gave nice jobs to outsiders who came to the area to "show the ignorant" the way to prosperity. But that prosperity remains, "just around the corner."

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
This is exactly what we need.
Less handouts and more jobs.
I don't see the problem.

Why don't we just build an "eliminator" machine and put everyone in we don't consider of value.

Quicker, less painful, very efficient.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The ARC needs to be disbanded. It was created by LBJ. Has it improved the poverty levels in any one of those counties?

I would argue that ARC prevented rural Appalachia from becoming like 3rd word rural communities..Via education opportunity, highways and access to technology resources..

But sure..Cut them off..

Trump has NOTHING in common with the marks he conned into voting for his Billionaire lifestyle..

The coming years in America are going to be painful, but needed..It will be a bloodbath in 2020..likely 2018 as well.

The average Appalachian might not have the same opportunities as most, but their circumstances demand they have above average common sense and smarts. Trump is screwing the people that elected him.

How is offering them jobs instead of hand-outs "screwing" them? When you have a job your income is based on how willing you are to work. When you are getting hand-outs your income is fixed.

What job would that be exactly?

So, easy to say "give them a job". There are no jobs, that's the problem.

And why are there no jobs? Because their culture is leaving them in the dust of antiquity.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Trump has already sicked Briebart on the GOP representatives from Appalachia for not shutting up and rolling over..

"Big Government Republicans Rebuke Trump Budget"

While we have a responsibility to reduce our federal deficit, I am disappointed that many of the reductions and eliminations proposed in the President’s skinny budget are draconian, careless and counterproductive,” said Rogers, one of the so-called “cardinals,” the nickname for the lawmakers controlling how federal money is spent.

Rogers said he was concerned about cuts to programs in Kentucky.

“In particular, the Appalachian Regional Commission has a long-standing history of bipartisan support in Congress because of its proven ability to help reduce poverty rates and extend basic necessities to communities across the Appalachian region,” he said. “Today, nearly everyone in the region has access to clean water and sewer, the workforce is diversifying, educational opportunities are improving, and rural technology is finally advancing to 21st Century standards.

www.breitbart.com...< br />

ALL so that Trump can make the most massive Military force on the planet 20% BIGGER...

What do you think comes after that?

Judgement day! It's about time too. The USA is so corrupt it's time for judgement. Maybe we will all get lucky and be smashed back into the stone age.

That'll learn people some manners!

edit on 17-3-2017 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Willtell
We tried to tell you people.

YES!

We did.

And the alternative was so great, right? Do you forget the Dems ran Hillary Clinton?

Regardless, I'm all for this. I want more and more cuts. The budget needs to shrink considerably more.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Damn...I am fighting for Trump Voters..

They are mine, they are Americans, and I get their frustration that led to a Trump Vote..

And now they are the "takers" in the Trump World cannibalistic frenzy...

All I can say to posters saying eff-em?...They came first for the ...

You don't hold a country together by eating your own.

How long do you continue to throw money into a program that shows no actual success? How many years do you do the same thing over and over with the same null results? Is 50 years not long enough? How many years do you want this to continue? Another fifty? Hundred? Having to twist the statistics outside of all reality to show even a small percentage of change...just to get more funding?

Nobody is blowing them off. You don't seem to see the difference between work and welfare. Apparently you don't want these folks to have jobs, you want them to continue to be beholden to Uncle Sam.

Putting coal miners back to work doesn't just include coal miners. It also includes the whole network connected to coal mining. Heck, even archaeologists will have more work. Heavy equipment manufacturers, equipment repairmen, equipment transporters, safety equipment manufacturers and repairmen, coal haulers.....the list is quite extensive. When all those folks have jobs, they'll be paying taxes and contributing to society instead of taking from society.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
trump's budget actually eliminates ARC, it doesn't just cut it's funds a little.
it's not that they lost the jobs and that sent them into proverty, it's more like in some areas, they never reached the same level as the rest of the country. there's still families that are heating their homes with the coal that they've illegally gathers off the hillsides along the roadsides.
can anyone else remember the ads that used to be on tv calling for donations to feed the hungry appalacian children that were running about the same time that ARC was started or am I just older than everyone else.

guess we should still be seeing those ads..

people will justify these cuts by pointing at our deficit, ect...
but please someone explain to me just how cutting the funding that is helping the poorest in the nation to help pay for expanded military growth and enriching the richest among us doesn't a danged thing to cut that deficit whatsoever? IT DOESN'T!!
the republican healthcare bill, as is written the last I heard, would defund planned parenthood, and remove maternity care from the items insurance companies are mandated to cover. then to top it off, trumps budget would cut wic, after school programs, and god only knows what else. while opiate abuse is running rampant across this country, funding to abuse treatment would be removed from the coverage also.
all so the arms dealers can enjoy a booming market and the rich can have nice windfalls...
typical republican bullcrap all over again!

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

But sure..Cut them off..

And why are there no jobs? Because their culture is leaving them in the dust of antiquity.

Because when the coal mines are operating again, a whole network of jobs opens up. See my post above.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

But sure..Cut them off..

Because when the coal mines are operating again, a whole network of jobs opens up. See my post above.

Six coal mines operate near me and will continue to do so with the budget cuts.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I will ask you the same question: How many more decades should we continue to fund a program that has had no apparent success? After over five decades, can't we at least agree to try something different?
edit on 17-3-2017 by diggindirt because: correction

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt
how long shall we keep building the world's biggest war machine in hopes of bringing peace to the world with no success???

when arc was started many in these areas were still using outhouses, I know, because some of my coworkers were from these areas! I kind of think that most have indoor plumbing now though. if that wasn't a success, what in heaven's name was it??

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

But sure..Cut them off..

I'll believe coal mines open up when they do.

In the mean time "book learned" professionals will create more scientific and robotic ways to eliminate the need for uneducated laborers.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I've been saying since February 2015 that Trump is a con man and would be taking his supporters for a ride. No surprises here.

It's like I said, (and no one in the area would listen), like or dislike Trump I don't really care. He's not going to be bringing coal jobs back though. Those jobs are gone forever.

It's a double Whammy...strip them of economic development aimed at bringing industry their way..

In my town, the new economic revitalization plan isn't to even try and lure business here anymore. It's to build businesses 30 miles away, and create some temporary jobs in rebuilding the highway to circumvent the town and go to these new businesses.

originally posted by: rickymouse
The counties could directly get money if they need it by applying for grants through other agencies.

Grant money is limited, when someone gets money it means someone else doesn't. Where I live is one of the red counties on that map in the OP. My town can't even afford to jail criminals because the tax base isn't strong enough to hire guards for the prison.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: diggindirt
how long shall we keep building the world's biggest war machine in hopes of bringing peace to the world with no success???

when arc was started many in these areas were still using outhouses, I know, because some of my coworkers were from these areas! I kind of think that most have indoor plumbing now though. if that wasn't a success, what in heaven's name was it??

You've not seen me promoting any war machines. I'm a peacenik. I want all our troops brought home. I want our veterans to get the best care available. If that means cutting programs that have bad records, then we need to cut them.

How, pray tell us, did any of these programs make one bit of difference in bathroom facilities. The Kentucky legislature passing a statute against straight-pipe sewage disposal was the reason the use of outhouses declined. And the widespread utilization of trailer homes in the area. If you know of a bathroom building program I'd be obliged if you could cite it.

The problems in the area aren't going to be solved by DC people coming down to tell the folk how it should be. Legalize cannabis and watch the economy of the area boom!

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

But sure..Cut them off..

In the mean time "book learned" professionals will create more scientific and robotic ways to eliminate the need for uneducated laborers.

I understand your point of view. I'm pretty skeptical that these cuts and eliminations will ever get out of the House. Trump may not be a politician but Congress is full of those deal-making devils. None of them want to go home and tell their district that we're paying down our great-grandchildren's debt. They don't want to have to admit that they've gotten us into that mess.

Yes, the buggy makers are a rare breed these days. In tomorrow's economy adaptation will be key. But someone has to design, build and maintain those robitics don't they?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

But sure..Cut them off..

I understand your point of view. I'm pretty skeptical that these cuts and eliminations will ever get out of the House. Trump may not be a politician but Congress is full of those deal-making devils. None of them want to go home and tell their district that we're paying down our great-grandchildren's debt. They don't want to have to admit that they've gotten us into that mess.

Yes, the buggy makers are a rare breed these days. In tomorrow's economy adaptation will be key. But someone has to design, build and maintain those robitics don't they?

Thanks for understanding.

I know I post in a clipped statement style. It's meant to be succinct, not confrontational.

As I am raising my 9 year old grandson - - progression must be considered for his choice of career. Even if a Robotic grease monkey.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join