It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shakers - Once the biggest sect in the US.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede

Regardless, there is a Biblical, New Testament, precedent for choosing not to marry and celibacy, found in 1 Corinthians 7.

I'm not a Shaker, and I wasn't there to ask, but I would imagine that if I was there to ask, the Shakers would quote 1 Corinthians 7 as their rationale for stance on celibacy. They might even offer that neither John the Baptist nor Jesus of Nazareth were married.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Even if the shakers ( the video was a representation of their ceremony not and actual one), did quote Corinthians it does not prove they are correct in their interpretation. Because their interpretation would be out of context to what Paul was teaching. Paul did not advocate celibacy but gave advice to those who wanted to do mission works, that not having a family they would be free from the constraints that are necessary in raising one.

1Co 7:33-35 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife. There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband. And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.
You see Paul is not advocating any type of absence from marriage but giving only advice to those who are single and want to serve the Lord uninterrupted
edit on 23-3-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join