It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College removes scales from gym after students complain it's 'triggering'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Naw, forget setting goals and measuring results. What does that have to do with weight loss and fitness?!

People want scales for different reasons. When I was a young lad we used to weigh ourselves at the gym because we were trying to get bigger, stronger and heavier. Bodybuilding was huge in the 80's. We would measure the size of our pumped muscles and weigh ourselves on the scales. This was normal.

All I can ask is WTF? has Bill Gates, the globalists and the western governments done to you kids? You have been screwed by current education system and probably screwed even more by your molly coddling loving parents, congratulating you on all your participation ribbons in school. Even when you came last in organized events like sports.

Absolute fricken bunch of wimpy zombies... Wake up and toughen up!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
a reply to: seasonal

It seems as though the Canadian schools have caught the idiocy. Maybe they can put the scales in a limited access secure facility with the universal "No Snowflake" on the vault doors so no one is triggered by inadvertently seeing the evil scales. You just can't unsee a scale.

Imposible, then it would be the thin-privilege room where only skinny people are allowed, causing even more triggering

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: veracity

Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat, and when you are being thrown up in the air by your teammates, this is something that has to be taken into account. It is a balancing act between maintaining the strength you need to perform the acrobatics and doing it such a so as not to pack too much overt muscle mass. Training for cheerleading is therefore about keeping your muscle mass lean and finding ways to strengthen that lean muscle mass without bulking. A scale in that scenario is very useful and not at all demeaning.

Someone on this very thread thought I was "overweight" because I put on 40 lbs to get into one weight class and then want to take it off ( which is going great btw) to get back in my original weight class. People are really ignorant about weight, scales, and the weight of muscle versus fat. Theyve never EVER had a "weigh in" where every ounce counts so you can compete. Theyve NEVER eaten 5 bunches of bananas to make that weigh in, either. LOL!

Oh come on now... I thought we already settled this on the other post

Anyway. People are ignorant, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Most people really just don't have a clue how to use all of the fitness tools available to them. Almost all of my clients come to me with the same request - "I want to lose weight". During the assessment when I'm asking key questions, I always ask "How many calories are you consuming in a 24 hour period?" The answer is usually "I don't know". I do all of the measurements discussed here and I also use a scale... I mean how do you know where you want to be if you don't know where you're starting? If you're ashamed to get on a scale, don't get on one. Scales aren't scary... people are scary!

BTW Advantage... what is your weight class and in what style?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: grainofsand

i personally think people like to see themselves working out in the mirror that is why there are so many in gyms.

Even if they are over-weight...just to see them "working it" makes them happy.

They work so hard and sweat so much, then jump on the scale every day, lose nothing and get stressed.

scales are sad

Looking in the mirror is super important when it comes to form and technique and if you're a dance instructor, or any kind of fitness instructor like me it's important to keep an eye on your students during class. But yeah... there are a handful that just like seeing themselves lol!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: journeyonfire
Lmao. Trigger is the word of 2017..

Everyone is triggered!!

The wonderful thing about triggers
Is triggers are wonderful things
Their tails are maid out of blubbers
Their bottoms are made out of queens
There lousy lousy lousy lousy
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
But the very best thing about triggers is........?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Who needs scales-if you can't fit in your old pants, you've put on weight.

This gym guy is overrated anyway. Gym charges you 25 bucks a month despite the fact you can buy a cheap mountain bike and dumbells, and you can power walk or ride to work which will save you fuel but burn body fat.

Gym is that kinda guy that will borrow money from you and promises to make it up to you but never does.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80
You have to love when the Right calls the left out correctly, like over removing these scales; but it's such a small victory.

Then the inevitable derail into a fat-shaming thread really shows how immature the party is though, and why everyone hates you, and why you can't get things done either. You think fat shaming will bring your scales back? This thread is such a disgusting trainwreck of something that could have been "All win", but this is ATS after all, so nope, you just make yourself look even more deplorable and ignorant in a situation that should have been easy to handle. Now I have sympathy for these sissies lack of thick skin that I previously didn't, because I'm reminded truly disgusting people exist like they claim; it's you people.

the right called the left out correctly?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Who needs scales-if you can't fit in your old pants, you've put on weight.

This gym guy is overrated anyway. Gym charges you 25 bucks a month despite the fact you can buy a cheap mountain bike and dumbells, and you can power walk or ride to work which will save you fuel but burn body fat.

Gym is that kinda guy that will borrow money from you and promises to make it up to you but never does.

That depends on what your goals are....

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

That depends on what your goals are....

My goal is to design a video game.

'But what if I told you for an extra 20 dollars a month you can create a perfect video game and look and feel 20 years younger!'

'I don't want to look 20 years younger-I wanna make video games.'

'Sure you do kiddo, but I can see your pecs are a bit...'

That's the point where I say 'no thanks; i'm good' then walk away wondering if he has what I would call littlefinger syndrome (use your imagination.)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

The world is changing into a scary place my friend. See you on the other side of this insanity!

It's a scale. It's a friggin scale! The removal of which is not a sign of the collapse of society. Most people have a scale at home, and most people that are overweight A. Know that they are, in fact, overweight and B. Probably already know how much they weigh.

If someone has an eating disorder, such as anorexia nervosa, public weigh ins only exacerbate the situation.

Most people that are trying to get fit also, wonder of wonders, have their own bathroom scale and usually know how much they weigh.

Finally, yes there is much more to fitness than weight. This is all coming from a recovering anorexic and (still) a runner.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

So do you advocate that scales should be removed from gyms to protect the potential vulnerabilities of people dealing with anorexia?

I would provide scales if I owned a gym, and I'd let market forces decide if they deterred customers or not.

*edit*
Scales provide fluid loss data in situ while exercising...should that be denied to people who do not have anorexic issues?
Why?

edit on 16.3.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I see your point with measuring fluid loss, and frankly, anorexics should be keeping closer track of that more than most, but (equally frankly), most don't give a rip save in a "yay I lost 3 pounds in an hour and a half", sort of way. It's not a rational or healthy mindset, or really even a safe mind set. Anorexics weigh obsessively and get a dopamine rush from that measurable dehydration loss. It really, really just reinforces the issue. For me, even if logically I knew it was just water, being able to see a measurable and quick weight loss made me happy. Geeze, STIll makes me happy TBH. Like I said, not rational.

I encourage measures that get people to think of health and fitness as more than just weight. My issue is more with school or fitness programs that force public weigh ins and taking the scales out discourages that. I can see why people are irritated regarding a potential hydration issue, but there are other ways to measure that, and you should be hydrating anyway. It's just one tool in the tool box. If I'm on an hour long run, I'm sure not stopping to weigh myself to assess hydration, although I can see why others do.

edit on 16-3-2017 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2017 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Non mandatory use of scales is okay in places scales are offered then?
I would agree with that.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

its not just anorexics tho. Its also the stress...that can lead to anorexia or more unneccessary weight gain.

Stress packs on the pounds and NO, im not talking about just the sight of a scale causing stress.

When people work out they obsessively weigh themselves. Its stressful if you do not lose weight after a week of intense working out. What the scale does not tell you is that you gained muscle and lost fat...which means no weight lost or even weight gained. Its not a good gauge for weight loss in that sense, and it causes stress, which counteracts the goal of losing weight bc stress adds pounds...

true story not on topic...i used to weight myself before working out...and after. I would take a huge dump every time and I would lose up to 5 lbs each time. I was obsessed with that.

anyways...scales are old school now. Cool but outdated.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Honestly seems like a reasonable compromise.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Don't use scales then.
simple.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I imagine this an accurate depiction of the people proposing this lunacy.

I suspect it wouldn't take much for her to use that hammer on anything or ANYONE she perceives as a fat shaming threat.
Like her poor bathroom scale here.

If I am now paying for a portion of your healthcare with my taxes then I have a say in your lifestyle choices.
Mainly what you shove in your face...
This is what you all asked for!
What would you expect offering universal healthcare to a nation that isn't properly educated on staying healthy in the first place?
Where the national "average" for health standards and statistics has been skewed to the point where someone is considered healthy in America is considered unhealthy in many other countries.
Quick question.
Has anyone here ever seen an obscenely obese 70 year old or older?
They don't exist!
Not only that but the amount of healthcare debt they usually amass is staggering.
I don't think ANYONE(left or right) will be able to fix this without first addressing our unhealthy lifestyle as a nation.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Yeah. It's a scale. A simple scale.

Why were they removed again?

Oh yeah, because someone whined.

What's scary is the trend of whiners constantly getting their way over things that should be non-issues.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Tearing muscles is what adds bulk; it does not equate to actual strength or endurance... how to build muscle a ton of weight to tear them with few reps. how to build actual strength and endurance? Either small weight and tons of reps or isometrics.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Ottawa Carleton U is getting rid of scales at the gym. There is a sign that reads that the scales were removed to focus on other ways to measure health than just weight, so says Bruce Marshal manager of health and wellness.

Ottawa's Carleton University has decided to get rid of all the scales at their gym. Athletics have put up a sign where the scales used to be that explains that they were removed to encourage people to focus on other ways of measuring their health beyond just their weight.
Bruce Marshall, manager of health and wellness at Athletics, told the school's paper, The Charlatan, that: "We don't believe being fixated on weight has any positive effect on your health and well-being."
www.aol.com...

Believe it or not there are people that are not happy that the scales are gone. And find scales actually help by telling you how much you weight.

Some people are not happy with the decision and #bringbackthescale has appeared on twitter with some people saying obesity is also a disorder and scales can actually help obese people keep track of losing or gaining weight.

Seems like another stupid PC stunt. I'm curious if this was done as to not cause any 'hurt feelings' amongst the obese or if there is some sort of eating disorder epidemic on campus. If the latter is indeed the case it's a little understandable but still stupid. When one has lung cancer they don't just go to the surgeon but generally address the root cause by discontinuing the behavior(S) that may have been responsible. Flawed analogy, I know, but it's the first thing I thought of.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join