It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College removes scales from gym after students complain it's 'triggering'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
So um there are people out there triggered by scales . in a gym ,in a place where they go to improve their health . I just got nothing .How do they monitor their progress , by the number of donuts they eat .

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I don't know what i'd do without my scale.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Oh forget that!

Let's just segregate the gyms.

The fit and healthy people ought to feel triggered by the presence of so many fatty uglies there and they ought to demand those people be removed because their presence is so distressing. Meanwhile, the fatty uglies ought to be distressed by the presence of so many fit and healthy/pretty people to make them feel like they're dirt.

Then we can have places like Average Joe's where normal people can go to exercise. The rest can go to Globo Gym

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I'm surprised they haven't had the ability to add extra plates to the weight bars removed in case it triggers these limp wristed wastes of space about their weakness too.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Some students (like cheerleaders) are forced to get on the scales. They have to be a certain weight...which is ridiculous. Its the most demeaning practice I have ever known. If you WANT to gauge your weight by a scale...then do it at home in your own free time.

I have a background in personal training and a scale is one of the worst ways to gauge your weight. Stress is a trigger (used that word in the wrong way) for gaining weight and a scale is one sure way to stress yourself out. Especially if you are on it in front of other people.

There are many other more healthy ways to gauge your weight such as how your clothes fit, body fat (which uses weight, but is much more accurate), watching intake.

There is no need for scales and I hope the practice of putting cheerleaders on the scale is an old and dying practice, i was about 17 when I first saw it with my own eyes and I shuddered. Horrible.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

If you are talking about cheerleading that is engaged in lifts and throws, that's very dangerous and you can't have the girls getting too heavy. It's cruel maybe, but if they get too heavy, it increases the danger to the both her and rest of the girls and the yell leaders.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

then you get someone else. You dont need a scale to know someone is over-weight.

I was a cheerleader in college, i know this.

Im sure you werent.

(i was not a cheerleader where they made us get on scales)

You have no idea about the danger,

eating and throwing it up is much more of a danger than a few lbs over-weight.
edit on 15-3-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Even if you could make a point that cheerleaders shouldn't be forced to stand on a scale - why the hell would that justify removing a scale from a gym, where people can choose too step on it or not?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Navieko

I was using the cheerleaders as the only reason (and it was a bad reason) to even have scales in gyms.

so, if there is no reason...get those things out of there.

They only trigger stress which causes most people to gain more weight. even looking at them...the mind is a weird sensitive thing.

The last 2 gyms I have been a member at do not allow scales for this reason alone.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Who said there is no reason? Scales are hugely useful tools for keeping track on progress. Boxers for example are required to know precisely what their weight is leading up to a fight. Anyone working on gaining/losing weight can keep check on how they're doing and if they need to step up their game.

If they cause you stress for some stupid reason, don't step on them.

Or better yet, go see a psychologist and try actually resolving your issues.
edit on 15/3/17 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

its not a psychological "issue". Its just psychological.

Like I said before, there are much better ways to keep tract of your fitness other than scales.

Many colleges, such as this one apparently and training gyms are learning this and coming around.

I dont expect everyone to understand, especially if you have a thick skull or a narrow mind.

This is not a "triggered" "butthurt" leftard thing.

This is a health thing.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The fact that many colleges and gyms are doing this is case in point that the liberal/progressive/PC agenda has taken it's toll on common sense in today's society... the majority of them are run by progressives. People waking up to this sort of nonsense is precisely the reason Trump got elected and crap like this will continue to be called out for what it is: idiocy.

By the way, to say that a scale is less accurate at measuring weight than how well your clothes fit you, or other such rubbish is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen written here on ATS.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Navieko
The fact that many colleges and gyms are doing this is case in point that the liberal/progressive/PC agenda has taken it's toll on common sense in today's society... the majority of them are run by progressives. People waking up to this sort of nonsense is precisely the reason Trump got elected and crap like this will continue to be called out for what it is: idiocy.

By the way, to say that a scale is less accurate at measuring weight than how well your clothes fit you, or other such rubbish is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen written here on ATS.

you clearly do not know anything about working out, training, and health.

good luck with that

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

oh, and if you dont like it, just dont go to college or the gym, lets keep the alt-right dumb, fat and sheeple-like.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Actually as someone who has successfully maintained a healthy body for most my life, by training and working out, and YES you guessed it! ...with the aide of useful tools such as scales to help keep tabs on actual progress... I think you're better off keeping that good luck as I'm doing just fine. But thanks!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

well then good luck to those around you who have to deal with you

(i use scales too, im not saying not to use them, just get them out of schools and colleges)

advice for others, not Nav bc he already knows it all...

and actually, stepping on them everyday is not good, use them maybe once or twice a month, gauging by your clothing and eating healthy is the best.

www.fitday.com...

Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are lifting weights, you may gain weight, so the only true factor is how well your clothes fit. Keep mindful of your clothes. If they are getting loose or less tight...good job. If they are getting tighter...add a day of cardio into your routine. Its amazing how much you can change by just adding 1 day of cardio (30 mins).

edit on 15-3-2017 by veracity because: to add link

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
How far are you willing to go just to not trigger sensitive feelings? Maybe we should get them big heavy weights out of the gyms as well, after all we can't be shaming/stressing anyone unable to lift them. In fact - probably best that anyone "too healthy" looking go somewhere else for the same reasons.

Might sound ridiculous even to you, but it's precisely your train of thought that's going to be leading us to that reality soon enough.

Where do you draw the line?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

How far are you willing to go just to not trigger sensitive feelings? Maybe we should get them big heavy weights out of the gyms as well, after all we can't be shaming/stressing anyone unable to lift them. In fact - probably best that anyone "too healthy" looking go somewhere else for the same reasons.

Might sound ridiculous even to you, but it's precisely your train of thought that's going to be leading us to that reality soon enough.

Where do you draw the line?

Im sorry you see it that way. Like i said before...its a health thing, not a "triggered snowflake" thing. Gyms and colleges want you to be healthier, its not a leftard agenda. The big heavy weights are needed for those who are lifting them...you are going off on a tangent that doesnt make sense.

Im sorry that you refuse to see this. Again...I dont expect thin skulled or narrow minds to understand.

I know you dont want my good luck, but sending good vibes your way to help you to understand

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are lifting weights, you may gain weight, so the only true factor is how well your clothes fit. Keep mindful of your clothes. If they are getting loose or less tight...good job. If they are getting tighter...add a day of cardio into your routine. Its amazing how much you can change by just adding 1 day of cardio (30 mins).

...Surely being such an expert you've heard of 'BMI' before, right? Along with a range of other useful mathematical formulas that require an accurate measurement of body weight in order for them to provide a real, tangible answer? Not to mention a scale is a useful tool not just for people looking to achieve a "healthy" weight, but for athletes trying to refine their bodies to a degree where accurate measurements are necessary...not simply how well their clothes fit, lol.
edit on 15/3/17 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
Again...I dont expect thin skulled or narrow minds to understand.

That's gold coming from you, considering you can't even see the usefulness of a scale for someone trying to achieve a healthy weight -- as well as to those who aren't necessarily trying to achieve a healthy weight (athletes, bodybuilders, etc). And further, you're unable to see how taking actions such as this just to appease sensitive feelings will do no good for them in the long-run. But whatever, I can see you're locked in your little bubble - so I'll just leave it at that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join