It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great News for Texas Democrats!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Great news for Texas Democrats today as a Federal District Court has the Texas Legislature must redraw Congressional maps in three Districts because the current District lines unconstitutionally discriminate against Hispanics.

thehill.com...

The two judges who ruled for the plaintiffs found Republicans repeatedly tried to dilute the political power of Latino voters — either packing them into one specific district, or dividing communities between separate districts, a process called "cracking." "The Court finds that this evidence persuasively demonstrates that mapdrawers intentionally packed and cracked on the basis of race ... with the intent to dilute minority voting strength," Judges Xavier Rodriguez and Orlando Garcia wrote. Texas Democrats called the ruling a victory for voting rights.

The Districts affected? (Just in case some ATS members might live in one of the areas).

They ordered the legislature to redraw lines defining districts held by Texas Reps. Will Hurd (R), Blake Farenthold (R) and Lloyd Doggett (D).

Interesting point of fact is that Texas 23rd Congressional District is:

15.0% White 3.2% Black 1.5% Asian 69.7% Hispanic 0.67% Native American 9.9% other

See: en.wikipedia.org...
The current Representative is Will Hurd, a Black man, former CIA operative. I wonder.........was his mother Hispanic?

So, I am now left to wonder......however can they redraw the Congressional District maps to make the 23rd District even more Hispanic?

Is it the case that the Federal Court genuinely believes that only a Hispanic can represent majority Hispanic Districts? If that is the case, then..............who's to represent the remainder or are we left to believe that being in the minority, they simply don't deserve representation in Congress?

I live in the 23rd Congressional District and am left quite puzzled as to how they can redraw the maps to make them even more Hispanic than they already are. Curious thing about the 23rd is that is inordinately "military" and retired military and both are predominantly Hispanic military and retired military. Does that matter? The ones I've known and spoken with are predominantly "conservative" and vote Republican.

Maybe that is the solution.........en.wikipedia.org...

Hurd ran sufficiently strong in the Bexar County portion of the district and in nearby Medina and Uvalde counties to offset Gallego's large margins in El Paso and Maverick counties, the latter of which encompasses the border city of Eagle Pass.[18]

So maybe they can carve Uvalde, Maverick and the Bexar County portion of the District OUT of the District to remove the "Republican" voters from the 23rd District?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Too bad the Democrats are a dying party.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I can't wait until they deport all of the illegals! Talk about making elections real again.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The only way leftists can win anymore is to redraw districts so that their single-issue grievance groups are all in the same place at the same time.

This will make ZERO difference to the balance of power in Texas or nationally. The majority of Texans (and Americans, thankfully) know that the Left is a cleptocracy based upon stealing from the productive and redistributing that stolen capital to the unproductive, all while pandering to the aggrieved, thus separating us all into increasingly more disparate groups.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Court approved racism and quotas are alive and well...

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It would seem so. I would have to give the rational for the courts decsion some long, difficult thought.

Redistricting is really just plain weird. Look at Sheila Jackson Lee's district; its bulbs connected with strings, all in an effort to make it majority Black. When I mentioned carving those counties out of the 23rd, and you look at a map, you can see Uvalde is adjacent to the 22nd.......but Maverick county is isolated, i.e. surrounded by other counties and doesn't bound the 22nd.

The next redistricting would be after the 2020 census, so that would be done in 2021.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

Actually, if you do your home work, I believe you'll find that the leftists would need redistrict only a very few congressional districts in about 4 or 6 states to have defeated a Trump. And they'll get their chance after the next census in 2021. If they do that, the party of the "takers" and the aggrieved will be in power for nearly ever at the Federal Level.

What's odd though is they control only a few State Houses and only have 6 or so governorships. So.....because of their concentrations in the Major Metro areas, (pits of despair and hopelessness), they have a serious leg up at the Federal Level.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I can't believe there's a Farenthold in Texas....after what happened.....I saw that Blake Farenthold in the districts affected....

One was found in shallow ocean with chains just for running in the vote that year....bout 72
edit on 12-3-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: SBMcG

Actually, if you do your home work, I believe you'll find that the leftists would need redistrict only a very few congressional districts in about 4 or 6 states to have defeated a Trump. And they'll get their chance after the next census in 2021. If they do that, the party of the "takers" and the aggrieved will be in power for nearly ever at the Federal Level.

What's odd though is they control only a few State Houses and only have 6 or so governorships. So.....because of their concentrations in the Major Metro areas, (pits of despair and hopelessness), they have a serious leg up at the Federal Level.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Trump beat Bill Clinton's wife by 1.3 million votes once you factor out California. That is prohibitive math for leftist in national elections.

The Clepto Party is in free-fall. No president in US history lost more of his party's down-ballot governorships and legislatures than the massively-failed Obama.

America has always been a right-of-center country where "liberals" are a small minority.

GALLUP: Liberals Only 25%

I would bet good money that millions of former Democrats leave the party over the next few years and mostly go to the Libertarian Party and some to the Republicans.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
"Judges Xavier Rodriguez and Orlando Garcia"

I wonder if they have an agenda?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Maybe they are running in the future for political positions and are trying to win the votes of the Hispanics in time.

TonyS

Why people think that Hispanic are majority Democrats is beyond me, I am Hispanic and didn't vote Democrat this elections, I have plenty of friends that are residents and didn't vote democrats either, all Hispanic.

I guess only if you are a Hispanic that live around the border and California you will be democrat I guess.

Have to figure this one out.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Blake is Francis (Sissy) Farenthold's step-grandson. I went to school with her daughter Emilie. Creepy family actually.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Why people think that Hispanic are majority Democrats is beyond me, I am Hispanic and didn't vote Democrat this elections, I have plenty of friends that are residents and didn't vote democrats either, all Hispanic.

I guess only if you are a Hispanic that live around the border and California you will be democrat I guess.

Yea, it is strange really. Born and raised in Texas and what most don't seem to understand is that "Hispanic" is not a monolithic voting block. Yes, as they seem culturally inclined to vote Democrat, but, at least in Texas, 25%~34% vote Repubican in any given election.

Another misunderstanding about Texas at least is that all Hispanics in Texas are Mexicans. That's simply not true. One of the biggest misunderstandings is the idea that all the people who came to Texas are "Mexicans". A great many are actually "Spanish" who fled Mexico during the Mexican Revolutions of the 1920's. And they came to Texas with LOTS of money! They bought lots of land and own many of the ranches along the border. And no, they don't eat Mexican food and no, they are not "brown" skinned. Their "Spanish" is Castillian.

But......the Democrats can't seem to see beyond identity politics, you speak Spanish, you're supposed to be a Leftist Democrat. Nothing could be further from the truth and that attitude has angered a lot of Hispanics in Texas, from many of whom I heard, "What have the Democrats ever done for me"? And many of those people are veterans who have proudly served their nation, i.e., the US!

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Saw your title and thought you were referencing this....
www.texastribune.org...

I had read about the redistricting for Texas previously, and I wonder if the they are going to call for Texas to go back to this www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
As a former Texas Democrat, this is in fact great news! If Texas goes blue that's pretty much the death knell of the GOP.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Well, just my opinion, but I think we're witnessing the last hurrah for the GOP. This health care bill alone seals their fate!

If/When Texas turns blue, that would certainly be interesting; higher taxes on everyone, especially property owners; passing an income tax to pay for the ever failing public school system; punitive electric rates; severe regulations on the energy industry causing more unemployment; adoption of California vehicle emissions, pushing the rich to Tesla and the poor to bicycles, and of course, severe restrictions to 2nd Amendment rights such that only the Police and the criminals and gangsters have firearms. And lest we forget, rendering Texas a Sanctuary State.

When I say it will be "interesting" that's because with the attack on the 2nd Amendment, I'd expect there to be fire works; many Texans won't give up their firearms without a fight! And I'm talking blood in the streets!

But, don't get me wrong..........I won't be voting to stop the state from going blue; I despise both the parties.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Trust me I know, is funny that when I came to the south in GA people will look at me and will ask me, "you are Hispanic, but you don't look Mexican", like you said people think that if you are Hispanic you are Mexican, because they forget that the latino American population span many countries and many backgrounds, Im from the Caribbean.

But what get me and my zumba instructor friend the most is that my friend is Mexican but she is as white as it can come, blondish red hair and light hazel eyes, people never ask her if she is Mexican at all because she doesn't look like it.

Guera to the max.

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 01:19 AM
link   
December 9, 2023

MORE GOOD NEWS for Texas Democrats!

Former Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee was running for the MAYOR of HOUSTON.

She was endorsed by HILLARY CLINTON....NANCY PELOSI....and the leader of Democrats in the US House...HAKEEM JEFFRIES.

Today, Sheila Jackson Lee LOST by LANDSLIDE.

Article #1: redstate.com...

Twitter-X Comments: twitter.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

Good, I couldn’t stand that racist race baiting pos.
www.foxnews.com... mped-united-passenger-fires-back-at-rep-jackson-lees-racism-charge-airline
edit on 10-12-2023 by KrustyKrab because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join