It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionaire Governor Taxed Rich - Raised Minimum Wage — State’s Economy Now One of Best in US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Gov. Dayton of Minnesota taxed the rich, increased minimum wage - and added 172,000 new jobs to his state’s economy, lowered the unemployment rate to 3.6% from 7% (making it the 5th lowest in the country), and raised Minnesota's median income to $8,000 more than the US average. He also wiped out a $6.2 billion budget deficit and created a surplus - "As of January 2015, Minnesota has a $1 billion budget surplus... And according to Gallup, Minnesota’s economic confidence is higher than any other state."

This Billionaire Governor Taxed the Rich and Increased the Minimum Wage — Now, His State’s Economy Is One of the Best in the Country

...When he took office in January of 2011, Minnesota governor Mark Dayton inherited a $6.2 billion budget deficit and a 7 percent unemployment rate from his predecessor, Tim Pawlenty, the soon-forgotten Republican candidate for the presidency who called himself Minnesota’s first true fiscally-conservative governor in modern history. Pawlenty prided himself on never raising state taxes — the most he ever did to generate new revenue was increase the tax on cigarettes by 75 cents a pack. Between 2003 and late 2010, when Pawlenty was at the head of Minnesota’s state government, he managed to add only 6,200 more jobs.

During his first four years in office, Gov. Dayton raised the state income tax from 7.85 to 9.85 percent on individuals earning over $150,000, and on couples earning over $250,000 when filing jointly — a tax increase of $2.1 billion. He’s also agreed to raise Minnesota’s minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2018, and passed a state law guaranteeing equal pay for women.

edit on 12-3-2017 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Mar 12 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

SHHHH we like to talk in left vs right. This way nothing gets done. The money has been going to the top for a long time.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

SHHHH we like to talk in left vs right. This way nothing gets done. The money has been going to the top for a long time.

Right! I forgot!

SO - You'd NEVER catch Trump doing this. Never. Unless he could figure out a way to make money helping people, of course. But prolly not anyway.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The monet is going to the top because of the right- how is that not a left/right issue?

Who deregulated everything and weakened unions? I don't think that was the democrats.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Right! I forgot!

SO - You'd NEVER catch Trump doing this. Never. Unless he could figure out a way to make money helping people, of course. But prolly not anyway.

Oops you don't pay attention. That sounds exactly like Trumps plan and this is a great example of how well it works. Imagine having a federal budget surplus.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

originally posted by: CB328
The monet is going to the top because of the right- how is that not a left/right issue?

Who deregulated everything and weakened unions? I don't think that was the democrats.

There ya go seasonal.

TWO PARTIES FOREVER!

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Get real, both the left and right take the lobby $$$$.

If you think your left hero cares and a right hero doesn't then you need to consider the 20,000,000,000,000 debt. A left hero racked up sell over half that. He does not care about you or your children.

Please don't believe politicians. Dems are millionaires and so are Repubs. Oh they have free health care for life and a fat pension check too (dems included).

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
RE: You'd NEVER catch Trump doing this. Never. Unless he could figure out a way to make money helping people, of course.

originally posted by: brutus61

Right! I forgot!

That sounds exactly like Trumps plan

Uh huh.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The number of Minnesotans turning 65 in this decade (about 285,000) will be greater than the past four decades combined. Around 2020, Minnesota's 65+ population is expected to eclipse the 5-17 K-12 population, for the first time in history. The total number of older adults (65+) is anticipated to double between 2010 and 2030, according to our projections. By then, more than 1 in 5 Minnesotans will be an older adult, including all the Baby Boomers.

Source Link Minnesota gov link

Just one example of changing times within the populace. The above link gives a lot of detailed information on the state of Minnesota. I don't believe this is a partisan issue but due more to an actual evolving populace. Minnesota is an average Midwestern sized State. 60% of its population are located in the Twin cities area.

It will definitely be interesting to review all of the data in a few more years to really accurately determine what is beneficial. Though, individual states may be able to find these changes beneficial, we must remember that these ideas should not become federal across the board. What works for some will not work for all...and even here in Minnesota, this would back fire if the fed decided to increase their taxes too! Double whammy. Let's keep giving more power to the states irregardless of partisan politics.
edit on 3 12 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This is a bunch of B.S.!

I have done business in MN recently (Never Again!) and the economy is ALWAYS below average. Job growth is in the burger-flipping sector, just like the overall lousy pathetically-average Obama economy (slowest recovery in history).

If Minnesotans think things have gotten somewhat better that's because they've been so lousy (Obama) for so long most of them have forgotten what real growth looks like.

This is a common leftist trick: find some bogus stat somewhere to "prove" their version of communism "works". It's always easy to debunk...

Minnestota Economy BELOW Average
edit on 12-3-2017 by SBMcG because: Obama has no legacy other than failure.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

Prepping for the 2018 gubernatorials, are we?

Just so ya know, Two-term Governor Mark Dayton is eligible to seek re-election, but has stated that he would not do so. ...But Jesse Ventura might go for it.

pokeprodpickle

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
We'll see how long it lasts. When the rich move to Texas from Minnesota ... ah, well ...

In the meantime, the Governor's office can make up any numbers they want to suit their agenda. Some fake news agency will make it all sound real.

LOL

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

a reply to: SBMcG

Prepping for the 2018 gubernatorials, are we?

Just so ya know, Two-term Governor Mark Dayton is eligible to seek re-election, but has stated that he would not do so. ...But Jesse Ventura might go for it.

pokeprodpickle

I'd vote for JV just for entertainment value.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
We'll see how long it lasts. When the rich move to Texas from Minnesota ... ah, well ...

In the meantime, the Governor's office can make up any numbers they want to suit their agenda. Some fake news agency will make it all sound real.

LOL

In 2015, an investment group I work with asked me to look into an energy field recovery services company in rural NW Minnesota. I spent several weeks looking things over, but the bottom line almost 80% of their revenue came from contracts in North Dakota.

We bought part of the company and promptly sold it to another company in Williston (ND). But I've seen enough. Minnesota is NOT a good place to do business.

edit on 12-3-2017 by SBMcG because: Obama was a miserable failure.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Globalization has made the wealthy richer while the poor poorer.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

originally posted by: Snarl

LOL

In 2015, an investment group I work with asked me to look into an energy field recovery services company in rural NW Minnesota. I spent several weeks looking things over, but the bottom line almost 80% of their revenue came from contracts in North Dakota.

We bought part of the company and promptly sold it to another company in Williston (ND). But I've seen enough. Minnesota is NOT a good place to do business.

This was an interesting read. It is from Twin Cities Business Magazine.
tcbmag.com...
edit on 12-3-2017 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Had to be done.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Minnesota is GREAT!

I was born there, still have family and friends there - and they all say business is booming!

Don't know where you guys get your info but it sucks.

~ My stories are better than yours.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

Not just the poor, many people have fallen out of the middle to the poor.

Globalization has made the wealthy richer while the poor poorer.

And this was brushed in by our politicians, both dem and repub.

Thank God they are looking out for us.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

This didn't work in NY. Folks have been fleeing from there for some time.

edit on 12-3-2017 by Logarock because: n

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Why is a story from 2015 posted-up? Has this Governor resolved the $20,000,000,000 local and state pension deficit as of July 2016?

Hope he has a brass pair big enough to tackle the problem. When Pennsylvania's Governor ran for re-election partly on a platform of tackling that state's huge pension deficit, he was voted out, for a friendly, big grinning, nice guy Governor.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join