It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Crossing Your Legs Hurts Your Heart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
If you're over 40, you most likely already know what bad habits will do over decades.
Here is a very informative article from Prevention.com

Summary:

"Sitting with legs crossed at the knee can bump up blood pressure... puts stress on the hip joints.... can cause pooling of blood in the legs when the veins are compressed.....This could predispose you to inflammation of the veins of the lower legs and possibly a blood clot.”

"It may feel easier to stand with your knees locked, but it increases stress on the knee joint....When you stand with knees locked, you are no longer efficiently using the muscles that surround the joint. Consequently, forces to the joint are increased."

"Snoozing on your stomach puts your neck in a tilted-back position, which can lead to pain or numbness in your upper extremities...simply change sleeping positions such that the neck is no longer tilted backward during sleep,”

"A tight belt may cinch your waist, but it can backfire on you in the form of digestive issues: Your snug belt creates intra-abdominal pressure, which can result in acid reflux (GERD)"

I really think that tight belt or pants thing is a major one.
Feel free to add to this list!

edit on Sat Mar 11 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

Sitting down too long is bad for your heart, too.

.o2

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Thanks for the post. It stinks getting old. I'm just a couple of months from 50. I'm tall with bad posture and a history of back problems. A couple of years ago I started doing simple hamstring and calf stretches twice a day. Just a couple of minutes. This has helped considerably with the back issues. A couple of months ago I started doing yoga, following a video on YT. I do about 20-25 minutes three times a week. It is really great. Has helped with posture, energy, and overall feeling of well being.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
When you bend your arm, your blood pressure rises. When you sit on your butt, it causes blood pressure to rise. Our bodies have an automatic system to make sure that circulation happens.

In Reynaud's the little valve like anomalies near the joints close the arteries a bit, this causes the fingers to get white when it gets cold. Everyone has this but it is only a disease when it is hyperactive, meaning it closes the valve just when it is a little cold. This keeps the blood from gelling in the hands and feet.

There is a dual stage to blood pressure, when there is a restriction, the heart pounds harder and this raises BP. Too low a blood pressure is no good either. It is important to have the right size cuff and not pump the BP machine too high or it kicks in the second stage. When this second stage is locked on, blood pressure can soar. It is a neoadrenaline that kicks this in I think, something similar to octapine. To keep these stores down, either exercise or watch the consumption of tyramines or aged foods. MSG is a tyramine, it is a glutamate. There are four or five kinds of tyramines. Nitrous oxide expands the blood vessels, a deficiency in citraline or arganine in the diet can lessen nitrous oxide production. Eat some watermelon once in a while or even jello. Also to keep blood Ammonia levels down as a moderation consume something containing cinnamon or benzoic acid once in a while. This is found in some foods, things need to be balanced.

Hopefully I didn't confuse too many people, just trying to explain some things.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

As I've "matured" in age, I've wanted to keep my girth as nearly the same as when only moderately matured (several decades ago). My solution was forget what my belly wanted to do, but rein it in at the same ol' notch in the belt. I've found within the last few months to be nicer to my body and buy a new belt to set a new standard. I've noticed a lot less reflux.

As for the spinal disk being dehydrated at night and the tip to give them a chance of recover becoming too active my solution is to water them in a hot shower. That remedy is even better than that first cuppa java.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

that is a great list...I have done yoga over my lifetime...sometimes I slack off, but always come back to it...I try to carry my purse on the oppiste side sometimes to balance things out.

old age is not for sissies!!! and I swim...20 minutes in the pool is equal to 40 minutes exercise on dry land...and easier on the joints! muscle and balance so important for us older folk......elders who swim regularly have better balance!
edit on 11-3-2017 by research100 because: added a sentence

edit on 11-3-2017 by research100 because: dang spelling

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Crossing your legs can also make varicose veins worse. Also wearing Spanx - those lycra "girdles" that women wear. My spider veins are always more noticeable at the thigh when I take them off (err, peal them off). Sorry to give you all a horrible mental picture today!!

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

that is a great list...I have done yoga over my lifetime...sometimes I slack off, but always come back to it...I try to carry my purse on the oppiste side sometimes to balance things out.

old age is not for sissies!!! and I swim...20 minutes in the pool is equal to 40 minutes exercise on dry land...and easier on the joints! muscle and balance so important for us older folk......elders who swim regularly have better balance!

I tried Yoga a few times. I now run whenever someone says the word. Maybe I am afraid of something after all.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Hi, would you mind linking the Youtube Yoga video that you use?

My husband has terrible posture, but I don't think he will even consider yoga unless it is a fairly short, simple 'routine' that he could do for free...
Thank you!

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

I've used a few from a channel called BretLarkinYoga.

I like the following two very much. Just make sure he knows, it's harder than it looks, and you can not possibly get in the positions she does, but progress is quick and rewarding.

edit on 11-3-2017 by TobyFlenderson because: Forgot to put in the link

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Try using falung gong, i found it last year and its great for unblocking your energy. Im young but it's even better for more mature people. Unblocking your energy will do wonders for your ailments.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Thanks so much!!

There's so much of that kind of stuff on Youtube, it gets a bit over-whelming to try and find 'good ones', so it's really helpful to have specific recommendations..

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

ricky did you have a bad experience with yoga???? everyone has their level of flexibility and strength, you start where you are at and don't force don't over do it.....maybe it is not for you! running never interested me.....

I read somewhere if you have stiff joints you also have stiff arteries.......stretch regularly!
edit on 25-3-2017 by research100 because: dang spelling

top topics

join