It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

graphene, burgers from stem cells, quantum computers and time crystals.. welcome to the future!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The Universal basic income is coming, trust me. probably followed by the emergence of a one world monetary system.
www.news.com.au... a00 www.theguardian.com... basicincome.org...

UBI isn't being trialed its being initiated.
the implications of the technology that is being relayed to us at this time in our history is mind boggling, and we know very little of what technology they really have and exactly how far along they are in their findings.
Graphene;www.graphene.manchester.ac.uk...
meat from a single stem cell...www.dailymail.co.uk... y.html
Quantum computers...computer.howstuffworks.com...
Time crystals...www.independent.co.uk... 18041.html

so we have many possibilities with the implications of such findings, a line from the graphene link says of the uses of graphene, that we are only limited by our imagination.

i want to put to the ATS public for discussion on how these new discoveries can be used...

by the sounds of it, clean drinking water will be available for everyone and world hunger issues be no more.
with graphene we could make the movie inner space a reality.
the time crystals discovery is talking about being used in quantum computers as an impenetrable shield for the processors, making them able to build them much more powerful...... im no scientist but we could be in the cusp of a technological revolution of epic magnitude!!
edit on 10-3-2017 by Davg80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Davg80

What choice is there other than a universal income. Were about to have self driving cars and trucks wipe out millions of jobs..... We are not going to retrain 8 million truckers, 4 million bus drivers and a gazillion taxi drivers to be software engineers.... no matter what job anyone takes, its days are numbered.

Nope were all going on welfare.....but it beats the alternative

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zimnydran

What choice is there other than a universal income. Were about to have self driving cars and trucks wipe out millions of jobs..... We are not going to retrain 8 million truckers, 4 million bus drivers and a gazillion taxi drivers to be software engineers.... no matter what job anyone takes, its days are numbered.

Nope were all going on welfare.....but it beats the alternative

Hello Federation. goodbye actual work.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
An interesting time to be alive!
Universal basic income, space colonies potentially within the next 20 years, advanced robotics, quantum computing, stem cell burgers, hitting the peak of human life expectancy and little devices that can translate other languages for you while speaking...

We are on the edge of the true golden age of humanity.
And I have faith we WILL be the great civilisation that so many Science fiction books portray..

A civilisation eschewed from the old model.. One where we reach the stars, the abolishment of lower/middle class systems due to UBI and replication technologies ... where our minds arent squandered on menial 9 to 5 jobs or lost due to poverty, sickness etc, instead we can focus on the arts and sciences or whatever personal interests we find worthy..further propelling humanities legacy.

I can envision the white gleaming utopian robes of this future humanity and I'm thoroughly excited.

Or you know.. The robots enslave us all or some supervirus from the melting permafrost wipe us out before then

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Jognir

if we dont do the things you have said and there is a reset button pushed, then it will be safe to say that we live on a prison planet, and extinction events are the work of a hidden hand to keep us from taking the next step.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Gaphene is just one of many materials that are being researched. Other 2D materials are also being created either on their own or layered with graphene (like boron nitride, aka "white graphene"). Those combinations are just being explored. There is a whole class of materials being made called: metamaterials. One made the news as being the worlds lightest metal. Others have been tuned for specific applications like refracting UV, microwave, or visible light around it. Those are what we know out here in the non-black budget world!

Due to differences in electrical charges, these 2D materials can be stacked either on top of itself or each other. A property called "Van der Waals" forces keep them stuck together and they are often referred to (in the stacked form) as "Van der Waal heterostructures". That field is going to go bananas should mass production ever be figured out.

Same thing is happening with ceramics. They have a coating of ceramic based paint that will keep corrosion from happening. That will be used everywhere metal touches water like on docks or platforms... everywhere, really!

Graphene aerogels and carbon nanotubes are also going to be used. Being able to dump sea water into a graphene aerogel filter and get out 9 - 10% heavy water will become a necessity if nuclear fusion becomes a reality! You will need an efficient method of isolating deuterium (heavy water) as a fuel source for fusion.

Speaking of fusion that is the only way I see a UBI becoming a reality. Electricity too cheap to meter screams UBI. And that seems very Star Trek like, no more wars over oil or gas, travel to the stars on a fusion economy.

Wikipedia: 2D Materials (for fun reading)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

nice thanks for the post, the time crystals made me think of the shields in star trek!!
but the possibilities are phenomenal and i think we are in special times....

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Speaking of shields and outer space, did you see this story?

Nextbigfuture.com - 2 Tesla Magnetic Shield placed at Mars Lagrange point would shield Martian atmosphere for affordable partial terraforming.

They would put a superconducting magnet orbiting with Mars around the sun. It would provide enough of a shield against the solar wind so Mars' atmosphere would naturally thicken over time instead of being blasted into space.

Now that is a great use of technology instead of "blowing up atomic bombs to warm Mars" like someone thought up. This is do able without even sending a person there. Then, when rocketry improves, they could be in a less hostile environment.

Yes, I agree, we are on the verge of travelling to the stars! The next ten years should be full of wild and crazy news stories as this transition is made.

edit on 14-3-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: gramar nazi

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

wow!! makes you think why the martians never done this in the first place.....lol

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Davg80

meat from a single stem cell...www.dailymail.co.uk... y.html

One burger costs only $ 500,000

edit on 2017-3-15 by galien8 because: emoticon

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Living in excitement times, indeed.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Jognir
Or we can end up like the Runa and Jana’ata on Rakhat.

I think that is a more likely bet.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

wow!! makes you think why the martians never done this in the first place.....lol
Yep.

Since we aren't sure of their mistake, we will most likely repeat it.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Ah, time crystals! This is a crystalline form of matter that are "inter connected" (kind of like quantum entanglement). The scientist that envisioned them realized that if you kick one molecule the others will react too. He got two different teams to make them. The cooled down ytterbium ions and essentially started kicking them to keep them out of equilibrium. The ions then started flipping states in a synchronized manner.

A time crystal breaks time symmetry. In this particular case, the magnetic field and laser periodically driving the ytterbium atoms produce a repetition in the system at twice the period of the drivers, something that would not occur in a normal system.

“Wouldn’t it be super weird if you jiggled the Jell-O and found that somehow it responded at a different period?” Yao said. “But that is the essence of the time crystal. You have some periodic driver that has a period ‘T’, but the system somehow synchronizes so that you observe the system oscillating with a period that is larger than ‘T’.”

UC Berkeley news (.edu) - Scientists unveil new form of matter: time crystals.

This was all theoretical last year when the announcement was made. Then, they made some and basically broke time symmetry. What that means?... not sure myself! But it is nice to there is something new under the sun!

I've seen a couple stories out there about using "time crystals" for use as a quantum bit in a quantum computer. I'm not certain it would work because in a quantum computer you need the thing to come to equilibrium because that is the result of your calculation. So I'm kind of scratching my head on that one.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I remember reading old Popular Mechanics articles from the 50s, and they wrote about some crazy products and gadgets and materials at that time, too.

Some things make it into the future, some don't.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Yaghi invented metal-organic frameworks [MOF] more than 20 years ago, combining metals like magnesium or aluminum with organic molecules in a tinker-toy arrangement to create rigid, porous structures ideal for storing gases and liquids. Since then, more than 20,000 different MOFs have been created by researchers worldwide. Some hold chemicals such as hydrogen or methane: the chemical company BASF is testing one of Yaghi’s MOFs in natural gas-fueled trucks, since MOF-filled tanks hold three times the methane that can be pumped under pressure into an empty tank.

Other MOFs are able to capture carbon dioxide from flue gases, catalyze the reaction of adsorbed chemicals or separate petrochemicals in processing plants.

US Berkeley news - Device pulls water from dry air, powered only by the sun.

I went to the UC Berkeley site to read this and found the time crystal story.

This is one of the "new materials" I mentioned in an earlier post. MOF and transition metal dichalcogenides are some crazy materials. Do a google on the later terms for some almost mind bending things that are being researched!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Dark enlightenment is what we need.
Science will be the end and beginning of us all.
We need the arts to flourish like the Florentine era.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Be happy to sell you some commas since you seem to be in short supply...

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
In theory, advances are supposed increase exponentially but it seems like the last 30-40 have slowed down.

Life was significantly different from 1917 and 1967 - cars, jets, television, rockets and the start of computerized systems. Day to day life was dramatically different.

I don't think 1967 to 2017 has seem as many dramatic changes. Sure, smart phones and the prevalence of computers was a change but it seems like most of these life changing discoveries never happened.

top topics

join