It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neanderthals self medicated with flora

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
From the journal Nature: Neanderthal behaviour, diet, and disease inferred from ancient DNA in dental calculus

From CNN: Neanderthals may have self-medicated long before pills, study shows

From the Univ of Adelaide: Dental plaque DNA shows Neandertals used 'aspirin'

So, this is interesting! An international team led by scientists from the Univ of Adelaide (Australia) conducted a study of dental plaque on Neanderthal teeth. Among other things, they discovered evidence that one individual who had a bad tooth abscess and diarrhea (sounds miserable!) used poplar (natural form of aspirin/salicylic acid) for the tooth pain, and a mold (Penicillium) for the digestive upset.

It also showed differences in diet among Belgian and Spanish residents (one was vegetarian, the other omnivorous) depending on local availability. I guess they lived in forests with no animals (!) in Spain (is that a thing? Who knew?) so their microbe populations were different.

Plus, ancient humans and Neanderthals passed microbes back and forth.

"Apparently, Neanderthals possessed a good knowledge of medicinal plants and their various anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties ...," Cooper said in a statement.
"The use of antibiotics would be very surprising, as this is more than 40,000 years before we developed penicillin."
The findings paint a different image of Neanderthals, who have long been associated with a simple existence.

However, Cooper cautioned, this Neanderthal could also have eaten the plants without knowing of their medicinal qualities.

That last point seems to uphold the hunch that we crave what we need without knowing why. For example, sometimes I crave spinach, or fish...or red meat or rice. I've long suspected that our bodies 'tell us' what we need through cravings, even if we don't know 'why' scientifically.

Still - it's clear that at some point along the way, humanoids started realizing that certain foods or herbs had an effect on their bodies. I've always wondered about how that came to be. How do we know that some mushrooms are deadly? Well, obvi someone tried one once.

Do any of you know what medicinals you have growing in your own area? I studied herbal medicine for several years, and also the edibility of the flora around my region (I started a thread once about edible yards). What could you do to treat illnesses or injuries if there was no CVS or chemist's around? Do you know how to provide first aid without purchased items?

I think it's an important thing to think about. I have many books about natural remedies and herbal qualities. Good background knowledge for the day after the end of civilization as we know it.

Anyone else?
Thoughts?

Moderator note: please note the public service announcement posted HERE before responding. Thank you.

edit on 11/3/17 by JustMike because: Added moderator note. Text of the OP was not altered in any way.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

So, this is interesting! An international team led by scientists from the Univ of Adelaide (Australia) conducted a study of dental plaque on Neanderthal teeth. Among other things, they discovered evidence that one individual who had a bad tooth abscess and diarrhea (sounds miserable!) used poplar (natural form of aspirin/salicylic acid) for the tooth pain, and a mold (Penicillium) for the digestive upset.

That is interesting.

I wonder how many people died before they figured out which mushrooms were edible and (cough), medicinal?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
BZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZ

Here it is a few years later and I for One, a present day Neanderthal, gave up BigPHarma™ and went Flora.. Got of 5 Rx poisons and even use Kelp w/My Nascent Iodine.

With the upcoming "Worm Moon" aka 'Sap Moon' it might be a good excuse to go out and 'Eat Nature'.. Or lick a tree.

Stay Hydrated...

Edit: Some 'Look-See' for added fun www.canr.msu.edu...
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I have been using diet to control my BP (thanks to a thread on ATS about it), doing lemon water, celery, garlic, etc. Not every day, but regularly. Went for bloodwork last week, and the results came back all systems go --- EVERYTHING, normal!

Yay!
Not too shabby for pushing 59!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I know, right? And who did they get to test the stuff? Did they have 'outcasts' or 'misfits' who they used as food tasters?
Would be interesting to know.

But this dense forest with no animals ---- how is that a thing?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: intrptr

I know, right? And who did they get to test the stuff? Did they have 'outcasts' or 'misfits' who they used as food tasters?
Would be interesting to know.

But this dense forest with no animals ---- how is that a thing?

Long process of experimentation. If they found skeletons near patches of mushrooms then that was a pretty good indicator.

They even named some, the Deathcap for instance.

Wiki

Mycology is the study of mushrooms, there are specific traits and methods for determining species, which are good and those that are deadly. I can't go into more detail about the "good" ones (TnC and all), but even the US military used some of the bad ones in their bio weapons programs. Some antidotes as well.

I imagine only really hungry people would venture to try an unknown mushroom, people should be warned about that.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Due to T&C's and 'other' issues I can not discuss this topic here.

I do have a beautiful flower garden our Forefathers would have been proud of.

And NO doctor visits.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The Toothache Tree ( Prickly Ash) has a very effective antisthetic and was often used by native Americans and settlers. Chew the leaves but do not swallow or apply a piece of bark or thorn base to the gums.

Perhaps the Neanderthals used these as well

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I think we can Finaly put to death the idea that Neanderthals were cave men
Going by the evidence, it seems they were as smart and as cultured as Homo sapiens were back before big pharma started poisoning us

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Going by the evidence, it seems they were as smart and as cultured as Homo sapiens were back before big pharma started poisoning us

wow!

So. Then, the 'creationist' thing...you don't think it's true?

Really?! Do tell!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I thought they did that already

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
We bought some tooth/oral hygiene stuff for our pug at a doggie show thing.

Made in Sweden called Proden PlaqueOff. 100% natural from seaweed.

Works pretty good, I was skeptical tbh.

Anyhoo,

Seems like just about everything needed can be found in nature.

Even animals self medicate, why the surprise Neanderthal did it?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I am not at all surprised.

Just wanted to share it here. Is that okay with you? Without being surprised, I posted an article about something that doesn't surprise me.
edit on 3/9/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

wow!

So. Then, the 'creationist' thing...you don't think it's true?

Really?! Do tell!

Whats up with you fundamentalists, why the meltdowns

All I said was it seems that Neanderthals were not just cave men, they were clever enough to utilise natural medicines

Its even assumed they interbred with homo sapiens
news.nationalgeographic.com...

That would likely make them a sub species of humans

Thats a theory, is that wrong, cant I have an opinion, want to squash me... squash anything that challenges your faith

Believe what you want, stop challenging everything that questions your fragile faith
en.wikipedia.org...

For my money, portraying Neanderthals as cave men, just above monkeys is a disservice to them

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

a reply to: burgerbuddy

I am not at all surprised.

Just wanted to share it here. Is that okay with you? Without being surprised, I posted an article about something that doesn't surprise me.

The article sounds like they were surprised.

I'm not surprised you were not surprised.

Not a lot surprises me here, anymore.

But it is interesting they have the proof they were seeking, not surprising tho and I gave you a flag.

Ya gotta wonder who thought up that stuff, like who would think of eating a plant or yucky molds if you are sick?
"here, eat this"
"ya, right"

Where did that come from? I suppose if there were no 24hr CVS's, one might be motivated but still..

We should salute those early pioneers.

I'm a fan of Chris Kilham and my wife is big on chinese traditional medicine, go figure.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

That last point seems to uphold the hunch that we crave what we need without knowing why. For example, sometimes I crave spinach, or fish...or red meat or rice. I've long suspected that our bodies 'tell us' what we need through cravings, even if we don't know 'why' scientifically.

There must be something in beer that my body needs in large amounts!!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Of course Neanderthals used natural medicines....lol...they are natural terrestrial humanoids who evolved along Earths timeline surviving natural catastrophes....they are us...they were the species the Annunaki geneticlly modified to build current homo-sapiens......they were the canvas upon which all other races were painted....and they obviously didnt eat these medicinal foods by accident...they had every bit the pharmacological knowledge we have today and likely more.

I have also been learning back-woods natural medicine using regional plants the last couple of years....I even collect seeds from some of them when I can so I have a supply of them in case we lose our current natural inventory....cant help it so I just went with it.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=21996271]burgerbuddy[/post
Where did that come from? I suppose if there were no 24hr CVS's, one might be motivated but still..

These four samples range from 42,000 to around 50,000 years old

Neanderthals evolved in Europe separately from modern humans in Africa for over 600,000 years,

So that's what, 550,000 years for trial and error,
I'm not surprised they knew that stuff
I am surprised they didn't have MRI machines and Brain surgery, I mean what were they doing all that time. not studying history, that's what

Mind you, some people still don't know the first thing about it

originally posted by: one4allthey were the species the Annunaki geneticlly modified to build current homo-sapiens......they were the canvas upon which all other races were painted

Sitchin is dead buddy, get over it, he lied to you and you didn't bother to check the facts
But here's a starter for you, this is ETCSL, the largest collection of Sumerian texts on earth

Please show us all how wrong we are by linking to any texts you can find that even mentions Annunaki. Or if you prefer any texts that mentions gold mining in Africa, or perhaps even any text which talks about the planet Nibiru, all conspicuous by their absence...
No, can't find anything Sitchin ever said in the actual texts, maybe its time you did a little research on what Sitchins qualifications were and what job he worked at, here's a clue, it was nothing to do with translating ancient texts and everything to do with making up stories which gullible people like you didn't bother to fact check...

edit on 9-3-2017 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

I dont follow Stitchin...I know of his work but he is just one man.......and anyone can see the "origins of modern man" or the people who survived the last set of Nibiru caused global displacemnt waves by reading the geneological trails we now see coming down from mountain tops globally....lol....and ...lol....the Liger is a modern day example of what happened when Neandrethals were cross-bred with slightly more evolved humanoids....lol....this is pretty basic stuff...the "Nephilim" or whatever you want to call those humanoids who exhibited what we now know was HYBRID-VIGOR......

Remember the Annunaki didnt mess with naturally evolving earth humanoids until fairly recently....and the mixture of races we see today are direct result of their intervention caught in a battle with mother nature who is constantly trying to correct the "software glitches".

We are clearly de-volving back towards the Neanderthal genetic predisposition....mother nature never loses.....out Anunaki enhancements are being bred OUT of us and we are regressing on the mean....this is why certain famous families constantly inject specific genes into their bloodlines.....lol...because they know the rest of us are devolving as nature reclaims her ground and takes us back to where we were pre-intervention.

edit on 9-3-2017 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Thanks for posting,
Havent yet read the linked material, but i thought it was pretty common knowledge that HSN has an excellent understanding of the pharmacopia in their immediate region, and beyond.
Its been at least 16-17 years since i read a paper on HSN floral practices. That paper found that nearly every plant known to modern practioners(medieval pharmacopias), and most of these plants have chemistries that preclude them from being used as basic food stuffs, leaving only a medicinal purpose.
I am intruiged by the differential diets between iberia and belgium.
I have read that at one belgian site, HSN consumed a fair amount of small rodents and the like, mice, voles and shrews, along with larger game, while consuming almost no plants. From the work it seems climate had more to do with it than anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join