It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover New State of Matter Called "Time Crystals"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Only if you're a panda.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
But to get back on topic, I have trouble wrapping my meager intellect around the concept of change without energy.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
maybe we can make a Anisible like in enders game

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I am not sure there are any claims of a perpetual motion mechine. Things in perpetual motion are different than a machine?

Orbits of electrons?
Atoms vibrate if above absolute zero kelvin? Or is it rankine?
Planets orbiting around a star?
Electromagnetic waves if they travel through an empty vacuum?
The rotation of a galaxy?
The expanding universe?
edit on 9-3-2017 by neutronflux because: Fixed this and that

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I am still getting my mind around the fact earth doesn't fly off into space because space time is pushing it toward the sun. It's not gravity pulling, it's the push from the curve a mass puts in space time?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: darkbake

this was discussed back in January www.abovetopsecret.com...

give this poster a cookie for pointing out this has been done already, good god! I hate it when know it alls have to come on a thread with one stupid post just to point out its been done before, then the stupid post gets stars, wth? to everyone on ATS, don't be this guy, no one likes it. who cares if its been done before, if its interesting, it should be covered again. didn't even know about the first thread, or about time crystals until I saw this thread here. No way I would've been able to find the first thread with search, because I never knew it existed. so why would I look? Why do people have to act so pretentious as to be the one to point out its been done already. does it make them feel better about themselves? Thank you OP for putting this thread up, I enjoyed learning about this, and now have something new to look into that interests me. to the person i'm quoting in this post, get a life, and save your breath next time
edit on 9/3/17 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

to the person i'm quoting in this post, get a life, and save your breath next time

"Get a life"...thanks for the tip bud.

I contribute on ATS daily and try to contribute to the discussions as much as possible and in a polite manner.

When a thread has already been made for the same exact subject, in the same exact forum, it gets confusing to have a discussion in more than 1 place...

That's why it is suggested that you use the ATS search function for a topic before you create another thread on it.

And as a matter of fact this is now the 3rd thread on "Time Crystals" in the Science and Technology forum, so the redundancy continues.
edit on 9-3-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

If you cannot handle replying to more than one thread, then don't reply to more than one thread? The thread will get by without you!

Give the people that don't lurk about ATS 24/7 some slack?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

So, TimeCube?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Yeah, it is kind of complicated, I don't get it completely myself. Although making the time crystals in the lab proves the theory. I think that these could be used in quantum computing and could even be studied to understand time and quantum physics better.
edit on 09amThu, 09 Mar 2017 03:36:15 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Kind of. But ask your self this, why does mass warp, bend, curve (take your pick) space-time? You see the force that curves, warp, bends space-time via mass is gravity. What the hell is that? Why does mass do that? The effect is gravity. Now as far as this time crystal thing, I just learned about it via this OP. I'm currently digesting this one. I'm getting a sense of brilliant thought but I'm never wrong.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This is just random but what if the same force that makes mass warp space-time also changes the state of those time crystals? I've had a few beers and it's past my bed time so I'll read your explanation of how this thought is moronic in the morning.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Time doesn't exist.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   

They haven't been created yet, just the maths has been done; am I correct in my understanding?

Don't beat me up please...hard to wrap my head around a lot of high physics...

www.scientificamerican.com...

He and Shapere showed that a material could have zero total energy yet still be in motion. They did so by mathematically reformulating the ordinary definition of kinetic energy (one-half mass times velocity squared) to a different but equally valid value that depends on a velocity in an alternative way (for instance, adding an additional term such as velocity to the fourth power and changing the sign of the usual kinetic energy).

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Nice find.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

FamCore and Darkbake are long standing members, no harm done.

There is no need for the "get a life" attack

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

to the person i'm quoting in this post, get a life, and save your breath next time

"Get a life"...thanks for the tip bud.

I contribute on ATS daily and try to contribute to the discussions as much as possible and in a polite manner.

When a thread has already been made for the same exact subject, in the same exact forum, it gets confusing to have a discussion in more than 1 place...

That's why it is suggested that you use the ATS search function for a topic before you create another thread on it.

And as a matter of fact this is now the 3rd thread on "Time Crystals" in the Science and Technology forum, so the redundancy continues.

this post right here from you proves my point. pretentious and no life. you failed to contribute with that original post in a polite manner, second your not a mod, so just stop pretending to be one. if they have a problem with multiple threads they will deal with it. sorry, I and I'm sure a lot of others don't get on ATS everyday and contribute just like you, and for you to even point out that "as a matter of fact" there is a third thread on this now proves what I said above, no life. Thanks for trying though on that post I just quoted, you just helped me!! Besides, anyone who has been on here long enough, you excluded know how difficult the search engine on here can be sometimes............

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

FamCore and Darkbake are long standing members, no harm done.

There is no need for the "get a life" attack

FamCore is not a long standing member, 2014? not really, but whatever. and second, I'm tired of seeing people come on here just to make a post saying this was already discussed on this date (link) and that's it, like it was some sort of huge contribution they had to make here, and then get stars for the damn post... I don't get it? the get a life "COMMENT" was just a comment, and pointing out the obvious, obviously (which FamCore posted again and backed me up on my original post)........... not an attack. If someone misses a thread, whats the harm in creating another to keep the subject going, the mods certainly don't seem to be concerned, so why is this guy? makes no sense to me when people like this make senseless posts. If you wanna get in the middle of this debate, whatever, but really why would you want to? I think FamCore can fight his own battles..............

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Pardon my rather crude and rude mind workings, but comes the thought that this "time crystals" phenomena can directly relate to the proven phenomena of Remote Viewing where time is not relative to the physical aspect of nature within which we normally exist. In other words, the human brain can simply "be there" as an observer without the expense of any energy.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: BiffJordan

Biff....

You know what a diamond is, don't you?

It is a solid structure, made of carbon atoms, arranged in a very particular fashion. It is crystalised carbon. If you look up "composition of diamond" and put it into a google image search, you will see some diagrams. These diagrams will show various ways of looking at the composition of a diamond, but the ones which illustrate best, the key features pertaining to this issue, are going to be the ones which look like a bunch of sicks, with balls on them, all put together into a complicated looking framework. Go and look at some of those for a moment.

Now, the balls represent the actual carbon atoms, the sticks between them represent the forces which keep these atoms bonded together in that form, or so I understand it. You will note, that between these elements, there are spaces. Remember, at the atomic level, things which appear to be rock solid, literally, actually contain a great deal of space (as do atoms themselves, but that is a whole other issue).

In a three dimensional crystal, all the atoms are immobile, forced into connection with each other at such heat and pressure, that they literally cannot move, because although there could be said to be some space in which they COULD move, various principles governing how bonds between atoms work, prevent them from doing so.

But in these time crystals, it seems as if the particles within the crystal have the ability to move, but always return with regularity, to the configuration that makes the crystals existence possible. So... Imagine a Rubiks cube puzzle. Looks like a cube, right? Sometimes someone will turn a layer of the cube, but no matter what they do, the only formal geometric figure they can make with it, is a cube, so even though its pieces may occasionally move, it always goes back to being a six sided object.

This is similar, except the concept of a time crystal holds that the particles within are always moving, except that they return to the state which best supports the existence of the crystaline structure, often enough and quickly enough to maintain that structure, despite their movement.

The method by which this has been achieved is something I have not yet grasped. I literally have no idea how they made such a thing actually operate, but the fact that they have is fascinating!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join