It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rabbit hole leads to 'Knights Templar' cave

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

An apparently ordinary rabbit's hole in a farmer's field leads to an underground sanctuary said to have been used by a medieval religious order - but is everything what it seems?
According to local legend, the Caynton Caves, near Shifnal, in Shropshire, were used by followers of the Knights Templar in the 17th Century.
Located less than a metre underground, they appear to be untouched structurally.

More yada yada at the link along with lots of pictures

But hang on a minute, haven't we heard this "Knights, Cave, Rabbit story somewhere before,

Oh yes, hmmmm

Make like Brave Sir Robin

Run away

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

I am invincible.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Looks like you and me are on the same page.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Look out it's got big pointy teeth

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Gives new meaning to "following the rabbit hole"

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
They found 3 caves. No, not 3. 5. 5 caves.

Consult the Book of Armaments.

Seriously though, this is a stupendous find.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The size of the herd of rabbits that were in there and had to be evicted must have been the stuff of legends. I'll bet they fought like Spartans at the hot gates as the dude tried to sneak in.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

I am invincible.

You're a loony...

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Great great grand pappy bunny told me of a tale one time known as Night of the Lepus. A tale about Sir. Lepus Cornutus the mighty horned warrior who was forced from his homeland long ago. He is rumored to still be alive today!

On topic: Awesome find. I wonder what they used this space for?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Evilbunnie
On topic: Awesome find. I wonder what they used this space for?

I don't know but I bet that the conspiracy theorists of the time accused the owner of using it for all kinds of nefarious rituals and sexual practices...

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is cause for a celebration. I'll prepare the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats...

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No baby seals? Pfffft!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

They're not in the Book of Armaments.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The link includes the comment that the caves were reportedly "sealed up" in 2012. In other words, not exactly a long lost secret.
Expert opinion seems to think they were built in the late 18th or the 19th century. By that time, secrecy would not be necessary. An underground structure might be built as a "folly", I suppose, though aristocratic follies were normally more ostentatious.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Is it a comment though, or just more opinion, I'm leaving that for you to decide
I'll admit I am much more a Python fan than I am a "Templar secrets" one
if it hadn't mentioned the rabbit hole it wouldn't even be on my radar,
I'm not really into this modern stuff and by modern I mean anything post Roman

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

They had fangs a mile long.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
..it´s only a flesh wound..

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

what, behind the rabbit?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

(sound of historian doing the "headdesk" thing)

No, not Templars. 17th century (1600's) at least, possibly dating from the time of Catholic prosecution.

Templars were monks and were an approved religious order, and were only under prosecution for a period of less than 5 years (when the order was dissolved.) They already had monasteries and castles built for them (sometimes they took over a place and used that instead.) Here's a list of known Templar sites.

It also shows none of the symbolism used by the Templars - the image of two knights riding on one horse and the use of round spaces and round buildings that reflect the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem.

Saying that it's Templar brings out visitors which brings money to the area.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The link includes the comment that the caves were reportedly "sealed up" in 2012. In other words, not exactly a long lost secret.
Expert opinion seems to think they were built in the late 18th or the 19th century. By that time, secrecy would not be necessary. An underground structure might be built as a "folly", I suppose, though aristocratic follies were normally more ostentatious.

Agreed... it's possibly a single man's "folly" or the work of a few, but it lacks the sophistication of what the Templars used. We've seen people carve some pretty interesting things out of soft stone like that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join