It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outsiders. I am really impressed with this show.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Does anyone else love this show? I absolutely have fallen, quite madly, for it. I have always liked David Morse, and became a diehard Ryan Hurst fan early in Sons of Anarchy. But besides the cast, most of the rest I really only know from bit roles or not at all, the show is phenomenal. The writing is solid, and leads to EXTREMELY human moments, and also adds just enough of the supernatural to make one question if it is actually just Nature.

The plot is a very interesting look, in part, at the concept of Free Inhabitants, as well as family, stereotypes, small-town life, coal mining, etc. This perspective centers on a family of Mountain Folk (for lack of a better term. It's really perfectly accurate) living on a mountain considered sacred by not only their clan, but some of the locals. The clan mostly shuns the residents of the adjacent town, which in and of itself is a reflection of the economic downturn that small, coal-centered communities have taken in the last decade.

The show is heavy on the political side of the issue, but only the local politics of the setting mostly. It handles both sides very well, in my opinion. But it never quite absolutely defines who the Outsiders really are. The family on Shay Mountain, or the Townies below?

It is currently at the mid-point of Season 2, and if you are new to it, I highly recommend finding Season 1 and the previous episodes of this season and watching them first. It airs Tuesday night on WGN (in the US). I'm not trying to shill for the station or anything. I really do think there are many members here who would appreciate the quality of storytelling and acting the network brought to the table with this show.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
yea I will check it out. Thank you, its new to me!

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I believe that you will be happy you did.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I already am just from the trailer. Is that Oppie and his dad in the show from SOA??? It sure looked like them.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Not the same actor that played Piney. But yes, Ryan Hurst was Opie.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

This looks highly pertinent too where we are in the US. I Flagged ya.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiger5

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I watched the first season and the first two of this season. It just never grabbed me. I think I saw potential there but it never panned out much for me.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

It's getting better, I think.

top topics

join