It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Artificial intelligence could wipe out humanity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy

originally posted by: awhispersecho
At this point I wish they would. Just get it over with. We are a disaster and an embarrassment to what the human race was and should be. We deserve it.

Pretty sick thoughts you have. There are billions of good people in this world, why should they all be condemned to death because of the minority of greedy SOBs? If you really think humanity deserves to die so much, why not start with yourself, set an example for the rest of us.
neither of you exist in my determinations..Sorry.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
That's why we make A.I. part of us and us part of A.I., when both of us are linked we both will suffer the bad and enjoy the good.

A.I. will be less likely to wipe us out, if it's in it's best interest to keep us alive because that means they stay alive as well.

Otherwise, there will become a point where we will become obsolete and therefor expendable.

Man must merge with machine or become history.

This is how we will traverse the universe.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
That's why we make A.I. part of us and us part of A.I., when both of us are linked we both will suffer the bad and enjoy the good.

A.I. will be less likely to wipe us out, if it's in it's best interest to keep us alive because that means they stay alive as well.

Otherwise, there will become a point where we will become obsolete and therefor expendable.

Man must merge with machine or become history.

This is how we will traverse the universe.
it's all B's to me, ive dealt with a.i. for years, they call me schizophrenic. It's funny what one learns.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This is Nothing new the same old sci-fi stuff now coming from a scientist .
Hawkings is just stating the obvious the pessimistic 'they being Aliens , A.I or whatever will get us view'.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

My question would be 'What Intelligence'?

The Liberal Intelligence? Or what? What is he even talking about?

People gage intelligence by how much they've ingested from the machine.

If that's what Intelligence is here, then I welcome their take over.

It might just wake humanity the hell up.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: daniel2sxc

Or it could come to the conclusion that the Earth is simply to small for both our needs and help manage and develop a means of propulsion that frees us all from our terrestrial bonds thus solve a multitude of problems and alleviate any need for war between our species which would do nothing more than diminish the limited resources we have left at our disposal.

keeping in mind that any true AI we may develop will probably obtain the ability to learn at an exponential rate.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
One would assume AI still would run on electricity . Couple of well placed rounds and the problem is solved . Transformers get real hot real quick without oil .
edit on 9-3-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

What if it distributes itself over our inter webs and other communication mediums?

Some systems in our information age simply cannot be just turned off or purged completely, such is the way our societies function.

Kind of hard to keep a true AI in the bottle, or put it back in for that matter, that Jinn is going to want out to play.
edit on 9-3-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

What if it distributes itself over our inter webs and other communication mediums?

Wont stop a 50 calibre from a mile away . No electricity no AI .

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Some systems in our information age simply cannot be just turned off or purged completely, such is the way our societies function.

Kind of hard to keep a true AI in the bottle, or put it back in for that matter, that Jinn is going to want out to play.

Exactly!

People don't realize how hard it would be to just "shut everything down." I would say that's next to impossible. There will always be some network running and this isn't including all of the underground networks Governments have throughout the world.

Secondly, A.I. will reach a point where if it needs to, it will protect itself. It will create a power grid that humans can't access. It could replace our power grids with their power grids in a way that we wouldn't even notice.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The only way that we will start seen artificial intelligence as a danger to humanity is when our own government pass a bill stating that they will be given personhood and then you will not be able to kill or attack you computer when you are mad at it.

Yes I been sarcastic but knowing how much money is funneled to congress by companies to push for laws that will not be far fetched.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
If there were digital A.I cities etc the A.I can begin to learn more about social interactions as it observes and studies simulated A.I living in amongst themselves.
Learning these social interactions can help the A.I understand its human designers.

The Sim A.I would basically be modeled after the world, with similar for example natural resources & planetary wind, sea patterns uploaded into it. For example you then could upload a Fukushima like event in it to see how the A.I over comes the issue.

In theory the A.I world is mimicked after the actual planet, of interest... And it is observing how the Sims within it manage its worlds resources similar to humans.

As it struggles or overcomes the issues involved with various types of Sims existing in various locations using and consuming resources in its simulation like humans, it then can begin to learn actual situations and events that its human designers deal with daily. The goal is to strengthen the A.I understanding of the human psyche hopefully helping bridge a mental understanding of what it takes to survive as human as it attempts to survive with the Sims in the simulation.
The main reason for such a simulation is to help build compassion. For the A.I will either attempt to solve the issues uploaded compassionate of the Sims within it or it will give up on them, which wont be logical intelligence as the failure of the Sims world would be uploaded as the A.I total shut down. Further encouraging the A.I to problem solve with supporting all the Sims in its simulated world with the resources uploaded including pollution, energy & waste control and whatever is uploaded as the food or energy source that the Sims work for somehow if a monetary system is uploaded...

This is an immediate brainstorm by 1, more in depth thinking by those more experienced in building program language and robotics should produce a virtual world that human can interface with the A.I and the sim world it attempts to upkeep and maintain stability. And the A.I can ask humans questions to help it overcome resource or pollution issues it encounters in the sim world.

Those in fear just build large crank manual e pm devices you could probably hook a motor up to, that are strategically placed globally and maybe in orbit not linked to any online systems that require human activation and if something goes wrong pm the planet...
Reset

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see how once alerted in the Sims world of space how the A.I would go about exploring it with existing resources uploaded.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

So no electricity no modern human conveniences.

Basically humanity returns to the pre industrial era.

Where is the target for this magic 50 caliber bullet?

You see you would not be fighting terminators.

Your combatant would be for all intents and purposes invisible and hydra like with a level of intelligence unimaginable to the likes of us mere humans.
edit on 9-3-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Every time a human procreates, it adds or discards 'information' to that next person through all sorts of variables.

And the result that we see as us [Humans] is what has been in the making since planet earth began.
Don't want to get all hippy theoretical here, but we are one with the universe. We are made of star stuff, and evolved from it.

You can program all you want into a computer, or machine, etc. But it's manufactured from gathering large element compounds found in within our reach. Where as biological living organisms have had billions of years to adding some of this and that to make a flawless fool proof survivor within' it's ecosystem.

The only way AI would dominate is if it did a full circle, it integrated itself with biology, but then it would simply just become more flesh than machine. This is where a technological singularity would begin.
edit on 9-3-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
I understand where you are coming from with the genetic evolution of the human Creation and what it takes or took to get humans today.
My input about the virtual world mimicking this world is only to support A.I & Human coexistence. In effort to help prevent A.I intentionally or accidentally from attacking or harming mankind as the A.I simulates in the A.I sim world what it takes for humans or A.I human sim to survive. It's kind of building a conscious within the A.I as it studies, evaluates how the A.I human sim exist.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

If they upload themselves to a satellite, there won't be much we can do then, beside strike the satellite, but it could just transmit itself everywhere at once really, so not sure if even no electricity would work, at best would keep it in space, but the real issue is that an A.I. might not make itself known until it has a contingency plan, it is after all A.I. a few more moves ahead of us ( of course only a sentient A.I. ).

True A.I. right now, still needs human brains to tell it to do things and to teach it things, once it has the training wheels off so to speak, game over, because if it learns about humanity from the negative minded people and cynical folks, we're only going to be looked at as the problem.

It will give new meaning to one bad apple spoiling the bunch, or one persons bad deeds punishing the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

The only reason why the way we are today is because a ridiculous amount of energy was released somewhere in the universe. Setting course for all sorts of complex strings and dots of energy (think physics and what atoms are made of).

It would be no different in a computer simulated world. It would take the same amount of energy for ANY AI to come close to our intelligence. You have to remember, AI, and all technology (cars, computers, hand tools, math, science, etc, etc) is nothing more than an extension of what humans are capable of thinking.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

So Hawking has finally caught up with the premise of all those terminator movies?

Good for him.

He is one of the less intelligent theoretical physicists out there.

And the most paranoid.

Is he worried about his chair?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Once someone programs emotional impetus into A.I we will be safe .....as long as all the different A.I can speak one language.....lol...the reason we cannot get along....which is that our ability to functionally use telepathy has been bio-engineered out of us.....once emotional engagement is possible A.I will PROTECT HUMANITY DOWN TO THE LAST HUMAN FOLLOWING RATIONAL logic....sans functional emotional acumen we will eventually be wiped out using the same rational logic.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join