It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Another demonstration of why Trump got elected and will win a second term if the elitist attitude continues. These people still haven't learned.

I dream this dream as well. I hope they don't wake up and I am starting to question if they even have the ability to wake up.

There are those who espouse harmony and love. They tell us that The Powers That Be are trying to separate us to sow strife and discontentment. But excluding politicians and the completely dishonest game they play, we will still have this complete opposition of view points. As witnessed in this thread and many others.

I don't think this will ever be resolved, but the first step should be to find out what corrupts people into the tyrannical globalist world view to begin with. Then we can address that disorder with more precise tools. They don't seem to learn from all of the failed societies of the past that have tried this path.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America. In deep-red white America, the white Christian God is king.

This was an interesting read...something of an eyeopener, but not entirely unknown in Canada either. The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to enthusiastically vote against their own interests. And why that ain't likely to change anytime soon.

LOL! Been a while that I have seen such a blatant partisan sinzolla on something.

Splane fist why this uptight cornfeeds went wild for a guy like Trump? Well yea they were not going to vote for Hillary but Don?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Just for fun, re-read the article and when you see terms like Rural Christian White Americans replace it with terms like Zionist Israeli Jews.

It wouldn't sound anti-Semitic at all.

Another problem with rural Christian white Americans is they are racists. I’m not talking about white hood-wearing, cross-burning, lynching racists (though some are). I’m talking about people who deep down in their heart of hearts truly believe they are superior because they are white. Their white god made them in his image and everyone else is a less-than-perfect version, flawed and cursed.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is so true. I worked for 5 years in a conservative, rural, Tea Party area and I hated the culture. Yes, they have a lot of crazy beliefs, such as spending huge amounts of money on stupid things like dirt bikes, snowmobiles, huge trailers and trucks and then whining that democrats are bad because they can't afford to pay their taxes after blowing all their money.

They also spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on horses and livestock that they could sell off and pay off their homes and live comfortably, but they won't even think of it because it's against their culture to not get up at four in the morning and feed the pigs.

Not to mention they all get money from the government but constantly talk about how bad the government is and how we shouldn't spend any money on anyone because it's "irresponsible". Sort of like how they always talk about liberty, but don't want anyone to have any except for the freedom to have a bunch of guns and pollute and kill animals.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Is this much different than people who blow all kinds of money living in the most expensive cities an states out there, blowing hundreds of dollars every year to every other year on the latest tech gadgets so they can become social media zombies, blowing a ton of money shopping at trendy places like Whole Paycheck or any other of the costly little trappings of their urban elite lifestyles?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
I'm just wondering if this Canuck has ever visited or lived in middle America? These are decent, hard-working people, despite what leftist propaganda has told you. They don't deserve to be demonized by some out of touch racist elitist.

You could try asking.
I've probably seen more of the US than most Americans, and my comments on y'all are on record. And lets face it...had Trump run on the exact same platform...note for note... but called himself a Democrat, he would have been rejected by Fundamentalist Rural America. They'd have put a collective whammy on him.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

I'm just wondering if this Canuck has ever visited or lived in middle America? These are decent, hard-working people, despite what leftist propaganda has told you. They don't deserve to be demonized by some out of touch racist elitist.

And lets face it...had Trump run on the exact same platform...note for note... but called himself a Democrat, he would have been rejected by Fundamentalist Rural America. They'd have put a collective whammy on him.

I doubt it, illegal immigration and a constitutionalist supreme court justice were the main reasons rural America voted for Trump, not because he had an R after his name. Throw in economic nationalism, his extreme vetting of Muslims, being anti-PC etc., they still would have been aboard the Trump Train. Actually, I think if Trump ran as a democrat he would have gotten a lot more support from the average person, who typically have very negative views of "republicans", even conservatives don't really trust "republicans" (thanks to GW and Cheney).
edit on 8-3-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Speaking of spending "stupid amounts of money" on things nobody needs.

One of Nancy Pelosi's places -

Another -

Al Gore -

Barbara Streisand a well known member of the crowd -

Travolta's rural home -

Obama for now -

When he's not here in the house he bought when he was poor -

Hillary

Another Hillary home. You know the ones they struggled to pay for.

Michael Moore's vacation retreat he was forced to sell over a divorce I think-

Glass houses and all. Progressive leaders talk one way, live another. What were you saying about people who like to till the earth, grow the food the city dwellers eat and raise the livestock they can't afford to eat themselves at times.

edit on 3/8/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: ketsuko

The elitist asshats in ivory towers are smarter than us because they said so.

To disagree with their positions, ideologies is just plain stupid.

Or perhaps they are? There's always going to be people smarter than you out there. Does that automatically make them right or mean that you have to believe what they say? It's a free country, people can and do stick their heads in the sand and live in ignorance, and they're perfectly happy doing so.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Funny how i took the time to go through every bullet pint in this article, and all of the people defending it have not one comment on it. Just ignore it, and keep acting like its a great piece.

Are any of you praising this article interested in a detailed conversation? Or do you just want to bash impoverished white people?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Decent hard working people? Sure. That work they're doing isn't valuable work that actually contributes though.

Check out this map:
www.businessinsider.com...

50% of gdp comes from those orange spots.

The entirety of flyover country could disappear and no one would care. It's made up of industries that don't pull their weight.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Funny how i took the time to go through every bullet pint in this article, and all of the people defending it have not one comment on it. Just ignore it, and keep acting like its a great piece.

Are any of you praising this article interested in a detailed conversation? Or do you just want to bash impoverished white people?

Sure, I'll address it, though I'm not going to go point by point.

Simply put, people have the right to be wrong. I've lived in the culture this author writes about for the past 17 years now however. It's not a culture I particularly enjoy. What I dislike about rural America is multifaceted. I find the entire culture to be full of self absorbed, greedy, judgmental pricks. Cities have plenty of problems too, but city problems are a bit different.

Let me start with the self absorbed part. People who choose to live in more rural areas do so because they want to be more self reliant. Everything comes from them. They make things happen. They have a meaningful voice in the culture. It's full of people who are incapable of trusting society and their fellow human beings.

Next comes greedy. Hoarders disproportinately live in rural areas. This is because land and homes are cheaper. They can get a big place, and buy a bunch of stuff. It leads to a life of endless consumerism, where people are obsessed with products. Go watch the show American Pickers sometime. Every block of every town in rural America has a home like that. People get attached to their stuff, it clutters their minds, and keeps them from moving on. It's nothing but want, want, want, and an accumulation of goods that becomes all consuming in their minds. Cities tend to escape this (unless you live in the suburbs) because there just isn't room to own a whole lot.

Judgmental people are all over the place too due to their religion. Ironically I'm being quite judgmental here myself but I blame the culture having rubbed off on me. Religion is very much an in or out thing. If you want to run for public office, you do the rounds at the church. If you want a community event, you do it through the church. If you want to meet people, you do it through the church. If you're a different religion or even denomination you're simply not welcome. I was at a coffee shop today for example, Jesus music on the radio. The table to my left had a 4 way discussion about if God is good, gooder, or goodest. The table to my right contained 3 people doing independent Bible study. Religion is deeply entrenched in the area. There's nothing wrong with religion on it's own but it leads to a lot of religious based laws, which in turn becomes a theocracy.

Out of all of it, it's the hoarding culture that bothers me most. You still have people that are obsessed with owning goods in cities, but as I said... there's physically not room to be an actual hoarder in a city. Rural America fills their yards and homes with clutter, which in turn clutters their mind, and keeps them from thinking rationally. Cities have their own problems too... small cities are probably the ideal place to live (for me atleast). I've done the rural thing for a while now and it's pretty awful... at least money goes far.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

50% of gdp comes from those orange spots.

The entirety of flyover country could disappear and no one would care. It's made up of industries that don't pull their weight.

And it's made up of lots of open land.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

My post was more about how the article was incorrect in it assessment of why rural americans don't vote democrat.

Your post seems to be you justification for not liking rural americans.

Its like two ships passing. 'I really don't have anything to say to your anecdotal reasons you dislike rural america.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

That's because I have nothing to say on those points. I somewhat agree with them, but I don't think they're 100% accurate either... and frankly I just don't care to argue over what is essentially a partisan pile of BS (both their points, and your counterpoints). There are however, plenty of reasons to not like rural living. For example, I think it's completely asinine to have to wake up at 4 am to feed animals, and clean stalls, just to then go to work from 9 to 5, and then spend 2 hours after you get home picking up after your yard and cleaning your house. Some people really like that, but I see that as atleast 7 hours wasted that day where people are simply caught up in maintenance work rather than progressing their lives.

I see life as something to live, not something to do. Rural folks are too caught up in establishing rituals and doing them over and over. Whether that's raising chickens every morning, church every sunday, or sorting and resorting all the junk in their homes. It's not healthy.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

growing and raising food is not valuable to you? it does not contribute to society? i bet you would in fact care if it were to all disappear, and you didn't have enough to eat. do you think food just appears in the store for you to buy? sure they don't make much of the gdp per land area, but it is probably the most important, needed part of it. that being everyone needs to eat. while most manufactured goods and services on the other hand are nice to have, but not needed. you can easily live without huge corporations, computers, internet, phones, cars, bars, restaurants etc. but without enough food, you will die.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I just have to say that's one of the stupidest most ignorant comments I've seen on this site. ever.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik

growing and raising food is not valuable to you? it does not contribute to society? i bet you would in fact care if it were to all disappear, and you didn't have enough to eat. do you think food just appears in the store for you to buy? sure they don't make much of the gdp per land area, but it is probably the most important, needed part of it. that being everyone needs to eat. while most manufactured goods and services on the other hand are nice to have, but not needed. you can easily live without huge corporations, computers, internet, phones, cars, bars, restaurants etc. but without enough food, you will die.

Huge corporations, computers, internet, phones, cars, bars, and restaurants are all high value industries that could provide for their employees if we outsourced food production elsewhere in the world.

It's not that food production holds no value, it's that it holds little economic value. Furthermore, most people in rural areas aren't farmers anymore. They might raise an animal or two, or have a small piece of land, but they're not growing anything substantial. Rural communities have a few mom and pop shops people work at, possibly a walmart, and a bunch of dead end careers.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Thank God I'm a country boy!

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee
I just have to say that's one of the stupidest most ignorant comments I've seen on this site. ever.

Oh? How so. What have they done on a worldwide stage?

The town I mentioned living in previously, Marietta Ohio. I can point to pizza places there where every single employee has an engineering degree, but can't use it because there are no jobs and the people have no ambition.

Small towns, especially the type the author in that post wrote about are for people scared of change, who want to hang out in areas that don't change.

Low GDP areas quite frankly, don't matter. People living in them think they matter, but that's only because they're biased because they live there. Every blue area on that map could disappear overnight (and yes, I live in that blue area... I am very firmly one of those who don't matter), and not only would nothing be lost... but the country would be better off.

Urban areas are the future.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join