It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Designer Proteins Could Change Your Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Seems the health ’challenges’ created by human-caused changes to our planet mean we need to make new proteins to fight disease. The natural ones that evolved over the past billion years or so are now obsolete.

Touted as a breakthrough treatment for celiac disease sufferers, a new enzyme called KumaMax is a synthetic protein. It’s a “bioengineering standard bearer,” leading the charge for using synthetic proteins in medical care.

HOW DESIGNER PROTEINS COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE

…the enzyme (a protein) has enormous significance as a bioengineering standard bearer. It is the one of the latest in what could emerge as an entirely new class of drugs: protein-based medicines that are built from scratch, not found in nature.

…Proteins allow cells to communicate, protect the body from disease, and carry out other crucial functions that have evolved over more than a billion years. But “humans have changed the planet a lot, and there a lot of new challenges,” Baker says. “To address those challenges, we need to make new proteins.”… we need to make new proteins.” Traditionally, that required modifying the DNA encoding the amino acid building blocks of proteins, which govern how they fold into 3-D shapes, which in turn, determines their function. Baker’s team initially used this approach – “Neanderthal protein design” – to reshape existing enzymes. But this sometimes caused them to fold in unpredictable ways. So, they decided to circumvent evolution and build from scratch.

…improvements in computing power have allowed Rosetta and other protein design software to run faster, while molecular biology advances have made synthesizing the genes and peptides needed to generate these designed proteins in the lab easier and cheaper than ever. “The potential for new proteins is really only limited by the imagination,” says Ingrid Swanson Pultz, Chief Scientific Officer of PvP Biologics.

…Most protein design research nowadays focuses on developing the building blocks of proteins, says Dek Woolfson of the University of Bristol. His lab has designed self-assembling protein cages that could one day shuttle and release drugs, or act as broad-spectrum vaccines. Andrew Jamieson’s lab at the University of Glasgow has even engineered new amino acids to bridge, or “staples,” the loops of a spiral structure common in proteins, known as an alpha helix.

“I’m not scared of the fact that it’s engineered, …I’d definitely be willing to try,” (says a celiac disease patient). “

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

I can't help but wonder if there is going to be bad with all this good. Star and Flag.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: soficrow

I can't help but wonder if there is going to be bad with all this good. Star and Flag.

Always.

Whatever can be appropriated and used nefariously, will be.

Never mind those pesky unforeseen consequences.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Just wait until these designer proteins find a host where they're even more useful.
Like the common cold, perhaps.
Oh yes. This should be good.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
They want us to believe we need this crap. If we just eat decent food we do not. We can't stray too far from the diet of our ancestors without having complications, we are changing our diet too fast and also messing with the chemistry of the foods that we are eating by modifying the genes of the plants to make new varieties, which does not necessary mean it is GMO, or by introducing foods that our ancestors never ate at alarming levels. Gene editing is not GMO unless the cross the kingdom barrior, a lot of foods have been modified that we now eat regularly. Our genetics is confused. It doesn't know how to properly react. Enzymes are getting messed up. Too much change too fast. Now how is more change as discussed in the OP going to help anything if this is the case..

These scientific organizations are just trying to promote business. It is all propaganda half the time, a sales pitch.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wait till the moron that works at university of Wisconsin Madison gets ahold of this. He likes to play with exotic diseases and make bio weapons out of em. He'll have have a field day with this.
Super.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

...f we just eat decent food

Please explain in detail how that's possible in a world where all the air, water and soil is totally contaminated.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

...f we just eat decent food

Please explain in detail how that's possible in a world where all the air, water and soil is totally contaminated.

It can be done, but not with commercial foods. Also, listening to people trying to tell you an avacado is a super food can cause lots of harm. I studied the avacado a lot, I do not think most people should eat it more than just a little bit occasionally. The latex in it can cause problems. So can the banana, another food they labeled as a super food just because of it's potassium content. Look at all the ways we have been steered by science telling us to eat this or that.

I am on the trail of three amino acids now, I will spend about forty hours researching these and where they are found in food before figuring who should eat more of these foods for what conditions and where the best sources of these are. Also I am testing a combination of these and also studying how the medicines work that they are prescribing dealing with the bodies metabolic problems which cause a deficiency in producing these.

So, for inflammation in the tendons, I have found through testing that eating a cinnamon roll and then some watermelon helps to stop tendonitis. Jello would work with the cinamon roll too. The cinnamon helps to convert the ammonia in the body to uric acid, but you need coffee to make you pee. The watermelon contains arganine which also helps to convert another reaction in the body which helps in the nitric oxide cycle. Jello jigglers actually have more of this in them ounce per ounce, plus both things contain proline and glycine. I get good relief from bone broth soups, I was trying to find an easier way of getting the same chemistry.

My test watermelon got away from me when I went down with the grocery bags in an ice spot on the driveway, it was really windy. The little watermelon rolled a couple of hundred feet bouncing down the driveway. Wow, it was pure ice in the drive. But that was the sweetest watermelon we have had for a long time. You see, if you tap on a watermelon it helps to convert the chemistry to sugar and very quickly I may add. If you smash a watermelon on a rock it instantly sweetens. Well bouncing down the driveway gave it a lot of energy. When you go to the store, tap on the watermelons, it sweetens all of them each time someone knocks on them.

My tendonitis improved substantually almost instantly after eating the watermelon, I was surprised how fast it worked and how effective it was. Remember though, it only works if you are deficient metabolically, I have serious OTC gene snps. So I need it more. I never realized my craving for jello and watermelon and foods high in argenine actually had a reason. Hopefully someone may find possible relief from what I say. Also arganine can help to lower blood pressure for some people and help with creating hormones, especially testosterone from what I read. Now, I do not know if too much would actually raise estrogen production or not. This could have negative consequences in some women. But here is a plus, www.livestrong.com... Eating some of these foods can help us to repair better.

I still like soup made with cartilaginous soup bones best, it is high in many of these amino acids and chemistries which have anticancer effects and antiviral effects. But it is nice to know Jello and watermelon are good sources of antiinflamatory chemistries too.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

All the foods you name are grown in contaminated soil that is depleted of essential nutrients, and 'fed' with contaminated air and water. Hate to be the one to to break it to you, but that's ng. You might want to look up the concept of "plant uptake."

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

All the foods you name are grown in contaminated soil that is depleted of essential nutrients, and 'fed' with contaminated air and water. Hate to be the one to to break it to you, but that's ng. You might want to look up the concept of "plant uptake."

Actually, I study the uptake of chemistry by plants a lot, and I actually find some of this is beneficial sometimes. I spent a lot of time researching these agra chemicals and also the toxic metalochemicals and what plants take up what. I still have more research on this, but I have a pretty good understanding of things.

I can say one thing, buying veggies produced in California may not be a good thing, it has the most pesticide riddled soils in our country. I prefer to buy local when I can, I also like to know the people growing the food. I belong to the coop and they have lots of members there researching the best and worst areas to get some things from.

I discuss food science with some of the people there when we go shopping, they like to hear about what I say because I look at things from all angles including, natural plant defense chemistry can often be worse for us than the commercial chemicals.

You can use ferns to take arsenic out of the soil, even rice. The chemical they spray on rutabaggas actually can increase it's anticancer properties if used in moderation. The rutabaga actually compensates for the bromide pesticide and levels remain about the same of bromide but other good chemistry increases. That is if you use a little of the pesticide, too much is no good.

I can go on for hours on this subject, from anything from celery to potatoes and tomatoes, to spices. Blueberries contain a chemical similar to aspirin, and people intolerant to aspirin might experience aspirin problems from consuming blueberries, even wild blueberries. The silicate is concentrated in the skin, so the smaller the more skin.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Any chance you could stick to the topic? Consider it's implications? Comment directly on the subject? In case you forgot, this is it:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Any chance you could stick to the topic? Consider it's implications? Comment directly on the subject? In case you forgot, this is it:

Ok. The thing is that enzymes are regulated by your genetics. In my research on my genetics I find that I have some reduced enzymes. But restoring these enzymes, the designer proteins they are talking about, you will find that the genetics has a reason the enzymes are lowered most times. From trying boosting enzyme production on myself or taking some enzymes to try to fix problems, I have found many negative side effects. Having genetic data available to cross check things with allows me to evaluate these things better. Restoring the enzyme causes a genetic disease to progress because of epigenetic factors somewhere else. Lupus is one of the most dangerous epigenetic factors for me personally to worry about, the Spondylitis is not too much of an issue.

Medicines treat symptoms, they rarely cure diseases and because they treat symptoms they open up a can of worms sometimes. By them being able to create specialized proteins, they give these to treat symptoms which can lead to many other diseases being expressed. This is a major problem.

I test on myself a lot to evaluate things. This way I can see what is going on. Sure, if you want to adjust something then you can do it on a very limited timeframe and it works. But if you try doing it for a longer period, even over a week, then you can get some problems. If you just have one genetic mutation and no gene corrections to deal with then this might work. Half the reds in my genetics are gene corrections, corrections worked out by my ancestors long ago that take care of problems in the environment or to modify the body to compensate for a lack of some dietary needs. Trying to remove one leggo from the body of something created by the building blocks means the whole thing can come tumbling down.

I think we should look for more natural solutions to these things and remember lots of genetic modifications have occured to correct some problems. I cannot eat many green veggies because my ancestors had limited access to them, now if I start to eat more than I can handle, I will need medications or extra enzymes. But I have longlivity in my family history, not eating many veggies. Why should I change that. Long life with not too many health concerns goes out the window by eating too much veggies. So, to feel normal and eat veggies I must take some pills?

You see, science is based on consensus of the time, they research things to help with consensus. It was hard for me to comprehend that because my ancestors evolved with a different diet throughout history that I cannot eat what some people say is good for you. I am not defective either, I got over that. Everyone is different. They are going to make a lot of money selling enzymes and medications to people who are altering their diet too fast. Will designer proteins help with this? Maybe for some, but I wouldn't count on it helping too many people more than it hurts them till they figure out how to interpret all of that epigenetic data and then examine the nutrigenomic factors thoroughly. This ties to metabolomics directly.

top topics

join