It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keystone XL oil pipeline will not use American steel, despite Donald Trump’s pledge

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
So to recap, you're mad because the steel already ordered and being used before Trump isn't USA steel. Good to know.

No they are mad because they are not going to use American steel at all. I think Trump needs to dump money into teaching righties how to read.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Mr Trump had pledged that the Dakota Access pipeline and Keystone would not be built unless American steel was used.

The reality is his EO doesn't mean there will even be an ounce of American steel in it. The only thing the EOdoes is give a foreign company the right to seize private American lands to build their pipeline with the steel they choose all the way across the US so they can export their oil.

Make TransCanada Great Again

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: SlapMonkey

From what I understood, the steel for the XL was already bought and shipped. It's sitting in warehouses just awaiting transportation to construct the thing.

Trump made a bad promise here, but the people nitpicking it are even worse. What are they supposed to do, dump all this steel and rebuy it when they already have an inventory? I don't see where being wasteful does anyone any good.

I like our discourse lately...we are agreeing (or at least conceding the possibility that each other's view could be correct) more than usual. It's a nice change.

And I agree with you--I'm willing to bet that it didn't occur to Trump to see if the steel had already been purchased before making his (most likely) off-the-cuff comment about being made with America steel. It would be asinine stewardship of taxpayer dollars if he even considers purchasing additional steel just to keep that promise.

Of course, he could purchase American steel for the remainder of the pipeline and then use the purchases North-American steel for other projects, but again, I'm not a fan of that idea.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
More proof people read to reply not to understand.

The pipeline is bought and paid for the pipe is sitting in piles at the depots. Trump spoke not knowing this. hurry up and build it before another train derails. The Dakota pipeline will be pumping oil in 2 weeks hopefully the Keystone by the fall.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Even if the steel is made in the US, the iron ore and coke could be shipped in from China.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: thHai
Even if the steel is made in the US, the iron ore and coke could be shipped in from China.

The US will be ramping up production of all strategic supplies that Obummer has tried to shut down to make us weak. We have lots of coal and iron ore just was forced to not mine it. Them days are over we need out strategic supply chain up and running.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

How about we forget about ever building any infrastructure then?

This foreign run pipeline isn't being built to help our infrastructure.

How about those power lines, sewer lines, gas lines, telephone lines? Highways, roads, railroad lines, just forget about putting anymore of them in right?

Show me the ones that are owned and operated by foreign companies and I will gladly say get rid of them.

The funny thing about pipelines is that after a couple years, you don't even know they are there anymore, they crisscross this country and alls people will notice is a little sign in the ditch indicating 'buried pipeline'.

No they just see it when it leaks and contaminates the ground water.

The farmers aren't even inconvenienced by the pipelines, they plant crop right over top of them, unlike electrical transmission lines and windmills that take up surface area.

You have never seen a real pipeline have you?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Because most are underground? I don't think I've seen one pipeline in either Alberta or Saskatchewan.

Actually not sure if it's most or many, but I've had two properties with easements (can't build over) because there were pipelines way under there. Fine for farmers crops. As long as they're monitored properly.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Fine for farmers crops. As long as they're monitored properly.

They tend to frown upon heavy farm machinery passing over pipes.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
The only thing the EO does is give a foreign company the right to seize private American lands to build their pipeline with the steel they choose all the way across the US so they can export their oil.

Incorrect. Everything on the US side of the border goes through TransCanada USA.
2nd.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I have a 48" pipe across the corner of my property and farming is no issue the only way to tell is the sign by the creek and snow melts above it because the gas inside is warm.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

They're under roads, drivways, fields....
People don't even remember where they are, they're not marked.

Even the gas lines going from house to house are crossing roads and fields, about six to eight feet underground.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: snowspirit

Fine for farmers crops. As long as they're monitored properly.

They tend to frown upon heavy farm machinery passing over pipes.

You are incorrect. I've yet to see a pipeline buried under a farmers field that impacts farming operations. Where did you come up with this information from?
edit on 8-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

This foreign run pipeline isn't being built to help our infrastructure.

Whats it being built for then, you seem to know? If you think North American energy independence is not important I have to disagree.

No they just see it when it leaks and contaminates the ground water.
Pipelines are the safest way to transport oil. Nothing is without risk in this world, can you accept that?

Show me the ones that are owned and operated by foreign companies and I will gladly say get rid of them.
No one cares what you say.

Yea, cause working in oil and gas for 25 years, I just closed my eyes everytime I was around them.
You are the one with no knowledge of this subject. I don't understand how people can weigh in on subjects that they know so little about yet try to come across as if they are 100 correct? Why not try asking questions and learning about a subject? I don't go into the aircraft forum here and pretend I am some kind of expert, I ask questions and try to learn something I am not that familiar with. I just don't get people like you.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: damwel

originally posted by: jjkenobi
So to recap, you're mad because the steel already ordered and being used before Trump isn't USA steel. Good to know.

No they are mad because they are not going to use American steel at all. I think Trump needs to dump money into teaching righties how to read.

Thats BS. There are tarrifs on Chinese steel as it sits, most pipe is sourced in America when possible, its a matter of economics.

Media Advisory - 75 Per Cent of Keystone XL Pipe would be 'Made in North America'

Calgary, Alberta – February 17, 2012 – TransCanada Corporation (TSX, NYSE: TRP) (TransCanada) confirmed today the vast majority of the pipe for Keystone XL would be manufactured in North America. In addition, the company intends to purchase approximately 90 per cent of all other goods for the $7.6 billion project from companies on the continent.

“Seventy-five per cent of the pipe used to build Keystone XL in the U.S. would come from North American mills, including half made by U.S. workers in Arkansas,” said Alex Pourbaix, TransCanada’s president, Energy and Oil Pipelines. “In addition, we have already sourced goods for the pipeline valued at approximately $800 million from U.S. manufacturers.”
Welspun - Little Rock, Arkansas, USA 332,800 tons 50%
Evraz – Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada 156,266 tons 24%
ILVA – Italy 103,147 tons 16%
Welspun - India 69,457 tons 10%

www.transcanada.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join