It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ABC and International Women’s Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

THE ABC is kicking its men off the airwaves tomorrow because it wants to promote equality of the sexes.

Do you want to read that sentence again?

Yes, in some misguided gesture to mark International Women’s Day our national taxpayer-funded broadcaster is replacing all its male television and radio hosts with women.

Who knew gender apartheid was in its charter.

Obviously wherever the ABC goes, others follow and so the The Hit Network has announced it will deliver a national breakfast show, hosted by Fox FM’s Fifi Box and 2 Day FM’s Em Rusciano, and featuring only women.

If I was a male host I’d be insulted and if I was a female host I’d feel patronised for a panoply of reasons.

Firstly, women don’t need men to be displaced so we can be elevated. We’re perfectly capable of driving our own agendas and garnering our own status through talent and hard work not via some muddle-headed stunt that draws headlines but not change.

Secondly, it’s discriminatory. If I was Richard Fidler — a remarkable interviewer on Conversations — or Richard Glover — who champions women’s issues through his choice of guests, program content and discussion — I’d be offended at being benched simply because women “need a turn”.

Link

There is not much to say as the article is rather self-explanatory. Good on the author for having the spine to call out what is clearly an ill-conceived, divisive and shallow gesture on behalf of a taxpayer-funded media entity that is supposed to represent and be reflective of all Australians.

I am not angered by this and do not feel feel threatened in any shape or form. I wish to highlight the clear double standard the ABC is demonstrating in their attempts to appease social justice warriors.

While the idea of an International Women's Day is controversial in itself, I personally understand and respect why it exists and do not wish to take anything away from celebrating femininity and showing that women are to be respected and appreciated.

Nonetheless, the actions of the ABC are very misguided and will not bring forth any tangible benefit.

edit on 6/3/2017 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Thanks for the heads up DG but..Wow, I'm out of the loop. If I decide to change my gender for a day would I be welcome on the airways. I have a great recipe I could share. (and a wig)

Guess not aye.

kind regards,

bally

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
My female boss is scheduled to do a workplace visit today. Does this mean I should, or shouldn't hit on her?

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Cool

but are women and men paid equally for doing the same job in ABC? or is this more empty gesture politics?

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

That was pretty much the response I read online last week. Women at some companies get today off with pay... So, everyone should identify as a woman today.

As a woman I kinda agree, it's only fair. We don't have an international men's day to make it even eventually. I wouldn't care either way.

But, I do worry this will smear Take Your Daughter to Work Day. Isn't the point of that to get young ladies interested in STEM careers they may not have previously considered? That's a good goal with all my support.

Maybe I just don't understand international woman's day.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
As a women this is a darn joke played on men for political reasons obviously, my daughter a nurse doesn't have time to take a day off and let people die because political motivated crap.

How about in the last 8 years of Obama how many times this women protested mistreatment in the working places

is Crap.

Men dress up and be transgender for one day and take the day off with pay too if you can.

Now make sure you are in California to do it,

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
My female boss is scheduled to do a workplace visit today. Does this mean I should, or shouldn't hit on her?

Is she a screechinig autistic woman, or hot.

If she is hot I wouldn't hit on her.

trouble....
edit on 7-3-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I agree with you more and more every time i see you post.

You, dear lady, have a good mind. I like that..

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiger5

I am yet to come across a single instance of a woman being paid less than a man due to her gender alone. Every single statistic released by groups (whose funding relies on finding a gender pay gap mind you) NEVER present a plausible comparison. A company with a higher value will generally be able to pay their upper management a higher salary. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with gender. The gender pay gap is a myth.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

Is she a screechinig autistic woman, or hot.

If she is hot I wouldn't hit on her.

trouble....

I always playfully flirt with her as she is a little older than I am. Its a bit of fun that we both enjoy and I know that she understands I would never use these harmless interactions as leverage, or against her.

She is a nice person that I have a lot of respect for and I count myself fortunate to have such a likeable lady as a boss.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I propose a grab her by the kitty cat day for men.

Nothing like fighting for equality by giving special treatments to a certain set of people.

Can we also create special days for fat ,skinny,short,tall,ugly,pretty people days as well?
What utter BS to keep the people distracted and fighting .

The same issues that effect women effect men when it comes to the workplace. Life is not fair for anyone and things like money,who you know, education, timing, luck are all more of an hindrance than your sex for the most part.
edit on 41331America/ChicagoWed, 08 Mar 2017 07:41:23 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join