It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just JDGF, do you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Lately I've had this recurring feeling that I simply Just Don't Give A **** (JDGF). It's not a feeling of sadness or relief. It's more indifference. What will be, will be. What happens is what happens. Reality is reality. The roller coaster will go up and the roller coaster will go down. I am just a passive participant in this experience. Nothing I do can or will make a real difference in the grand functioning of the universe.

I can come on here to try to learn, I can come on here to try share my experiences with others, I can come on here to try empathise with other people's experiences. I can do all these things but in the end it doesn't really matter. What people think, believe and the way they act will not change until they have had a personal experience that warrants change.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Ah welcome to the dark side, its called apathy. Come have a drink with me and we can not GAF together in silence over some cold ass beers.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

What people think, believe and the way they act will not change until they have had a personal experience that warrants change.

Hi Dark Ghost!
I couldn't agree more, especially with what you wrote above.

It feels like "giving up" though. Part of me still wants to believe that one person can make a difference.
I help individuals when I can, but the rest of the time is spent in "hermit mode" now.

It's a rather discouraging journey before you finally arrive at JDGF. (I think a lot of people are feeling this way lately)
jacy

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I think the accurate term for this would be apathy.

Washing your hands of the entire affair would be something I can entirely understand. Personally, I have spent the last fifteen years of my life absolutely sure that the best thing I can do for my future and my mental health, is to go off into the hills and woodland, build myself an entirely illegal, off grid cabin with no permission from the state, probably in the deepest part of a forest in a National Park, and just live off the bounty of nature in that, until either sickness or age claim my life.

But I have a son. I have to provide something for his future. I am not a man of means, although I work beyond hard, so I cannot give him money in vast amounts to secure him in peace. What I may be able to do though, is my part to help turn my nation around, make good choices when it comes to who to vote for, both locally and nationally, get involved, show support for the right things, the things that will bring my country around to the left, swing it waaaaaay away from the right, get its finances under the control of the people, rather than the corporations, get it spending tax money on the things we need as a people, rather than the things that small numbers of already rich and powerful people will benefit from.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Yeah, it's apathy-when you are just worn out by it all. I have had many years of going in and out of it but I've had children to raise so I had to keep plugged in for their sakes.

Now, they are grown and I can just walk away from it all when it gets to be too much like this past election cycle.

I find other pursuits, I am passionate about animal protection and rescue, and then eventually enter the world of humanity again.

What you experience is natural. Just be true to yourself and don't totally give up. I'm there as are many people with you.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Not a damn thing matters .
Welcome to reality .

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
By setting your expectations So low, you need never be disappointed. .......But that is a poor solution.
"Lately" you said, perhaps as Spring arrives, your feelings will change.

"What people think, believe and the way they act will not change until they have had a personal experience that warrants change". The path of least resistance .. expect no change. Do you prefer the Metaphysical world over real time ? I know it's less exciting, but the 'Real' here and now is vastly more productive. And can be, or 'should' be your goal.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

The pressure to stop adding content to a wave of apathy is persistent,

You just added a drop of care to it.

Just a drop... but a drop nonetheless.

To shining light in dark places.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Thats my one and only religion, i dont give a #.

Cheers

edit on 3-3-2017 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
double
edit on 3-3-2017 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
since 2001

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Make that change you want. It may include new surroundings..... hope you find contentment..

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is the downside of the internet and globalism. By endlessly expanding our world, it makes us seem that much smaller and less likely to be able to impact anything. If we log off and go out into the real world of our daily lives, the world becomes smaller and we can begin to actually impact real people, situations, problems in a positive way.

One of the things I've been telling my kids is to reflect on the difference between just watching stuff on you tube or TV versus actually trying to do something out in the real world. It's like watching has supplanted doing in this world with an entire generation of kids. Cuz, you know, a hashtag isn't actually a movement...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
This is the downside of the internet and globalism. By endlessly expanding our world, it makes us seem that much smaller and less likely to be able to impact anything. If we log off and go out into the real world of our daily lives, the world becomes smaller and we can begin to actually impact real people, situations, problems in a positive way.

"Technology brings you closer to people far away from you and further away from people close to you." -Plato.

Or maybe it was Aristotle.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
EXACTLY, bravo

a reply to: kosmicjack

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I try I really really do but I cannot compete with rudeness, name calling, and spoon feeding folk information anymore, so my saying for this week is

When my field is full again I shall return!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The Italians say it best
Non me ne frega niente

edit on 3/3/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Nothing I do can or will make a real difference in the grand functioning of the universe.

That's because you are a tiny participant in a huge universe. What you do and experience affects you significantly, those closest to you less so than yourself, and those on the other side of the world - barely at all, if at all, and your actions today might take hundreds of years to have an infinitesimal effect on someone in Bulgaria.

What people think, believe and the way they act will not change until they have had a personal experience that warrants change.

Correct - this is essentially the reverse side of the other part. The effect of any one given person's input on another person is just a tiny fragment of all the input they are processing on a daily basis - which includes constant reprocessing of the sum total of their life's experience.

This is why it's difficult to change someone's thinking - especially without an intimate knowledge of that person. It's like a single ant going up against a star destroyer.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
One person can make a difference.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Hey ... you left the 'A ' out of your acronym ...

But hey ... W G A S ... !

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join