It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatars and Backgrounds and Colors

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I am now watching "Halt and Catch Fire", an original AMC series that members may or may not have ever heard of or seen.

My father was the head of the committee at LearJet that invented the Eight-Track tape.
He has many patents to his name. He was in inventor.

Recently, I found a movie on Netflix called Flash of Genius, based on a true story about the guy who invented Intermittent Wipers.

My dad was a bigwig at LearJet. He had a stellar career as an engineer and inventor.....

So.....thanks for listening, I will now return to my point:

Our AVATARS, and BACKGROUNDS, and the effort we put into creating visual "selves" on this site is a notable phenomenon. Why do you pick an avatar? WHat do you think it conveys to the internet? Why did you choose it, and what does it say to readers about you?

Seriously. ATS offers us a canvas on which to not only write, but to paint. We get to each of us have a private little "hub" of existence.....

I liken avatars and backgrounds and text selections to what a person is wearing to a meeting or party or mall or whatever.

I put a lot of thought into mine.....do you?

WHAT about you does your avatar and background image reveal?

edit on 3/2/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

mine reveals me. i had helena from orphan black for the longest time

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I think it's important --- for us to artistically provide a self-portrait....
if we are brave enough.

I really like your avy, btw, it always makes me feel comfortable.

Yeah --- so, in general, our avy/background arrangment is like YoVille apartments, or fixed-up-fixer-uppers....it is our "selfie" that is concocted out of pixels and digitized info and is all so one-dimensional....

I think often about how I can NEVER, EVER see myself from behind someone else's eyes.....
ever.

Mirrors, photos, drawings, meh. All relevant only to the medium producing it.

And yet, the cliche/truism: A Picture Paints A Thousand Words.

Just wanted to encourage any members feeling reluctant.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

thank you.
the comments i get are usually negative.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
cudos to your father. I still have boxes and boxes of 8 trac's, 78s 33 1/3, 45s, reel to reel, left behind by a collector that died and I bought his house from his kids. It's a priceless collection dating back to the early 20s, that I plan on donating to a museum when I'm gone.

I have transferred a lot of the old recordings to digital SSDs.

My background I think is self evident. The color will return when times change. ATS has become a black black place, believe me, very very very black.
edit on 2-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I change mine quite a bit, from the background to the color of the text, depending on my mood. As an artist, it's just another outlet to express myself.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

I change mine quite a bit, from the background to the color of the text, depending on my mood. As an artist, it's just another outlet to express myself.

Exactly! Right?!! That's what I'm saying.

I am a writer, and a visual artist....we are fortunate to have this canvas of ATS on which to reveal (or not reveal) ourselves.

I, for one, am NOT fake news.
Are you???

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I like the idea that when someone is posting to me that they have a set of eyes to look at. I don't feel the need to put my own image but it's here on ATS in various places should someone seek it out.

link   

As a sculptor and furniture maker, when I exhibit, I see people walk past some pieces as though they are not there, and to the contrary, I will see people fawn over the same piece almost to the point of embarrassment.

I imagine the same goes for avatars.

As for meaning, I can tell you what I am trying to convey, however you may very well have made up your mind what my avatar means to you, and against all of my best efforts to convince you otherwise, you will most likely stick with your own interpretation. Which is cool, and ultimately the point of art IMHO.

link   

Definitely not fake news. Even though I sling mud quite a bit, I could really care less. I'm more into creating and expressing myself in different ways. If you take a quick look at all my threads, I always try to add some elements of art

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It's Easter time. So it's the Easter bunny ... with a twist.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There are so many awesome avatars and backgrounds that I love on ATS! The one I am currently using, I have had for a long time now and have grown too fond of her to change it to anything else. I have always loved fantasy with Elves and dragons and things. The first thing I noticed was her intense eyes. They were just mesmerizing and she was such a lovely and enchanting being.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Your avatar/background is AWESOME! Every time I come across it, I pause; it is brilliantly displayed.

THANK YOU for chiming in on this one! The 'background' in my current "outfit" is a picture that I took myself last October. I think it's beautiful....A sunset that will forever be emblazoned on my mind.

edit on 3/2/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: typo

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

i like gorillas. and they happen to align with my user name.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
There are so many awesome avatars and backgrounds that I love on ATS! The one I am currently using, I have had for a long time now and have grown too fond of her to change it to anything else. I have always loved fantasy with Elves and dragons and things. The first thing I noticed was her intense eyes. They were just mesmerizing and she was such a lovely and enchanting being.

You have indeed, sweetie, had that avy for a long time. It's nice.

People whose avatars and backgrounds remain the same over their tenure here are brave souls.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

i like gorillas. and they happen to align with my user name.

LOL!! Really? I would have never guessed that about you!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

LOVE the sunset! I didn't know you took the picture yourself. Wow!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Mine says I'm warm and cuddly obviously

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

originally posted by: Night Star

You have indeed, sweetie, had that avy for a long time. It's nice.

People whose avatars and backgrounds remain the same over their tenure here are brave souls.

I used to use this one a long time ago.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

This should be your Halloween costume!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join