It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Emerald Queen Came To Visit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
While sitting on the porch enjoying the beautiful weather, I heard a loud buzzing behind my head. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought for sure it was a bunch of flies dining on an unfortunate lizard, or the like.

I was a bit startled to find that my Salvia farinacea was all a buzz. These tiny emerald flashes of neon light were all over the plant. I knew they were bees, but I had never seen them before so I had to go to the Internet to find out what they were.

I think they are sentient, because I could stand and look at them and they ignored me, but the moment I would pull out the camera, they disappeared. Found a good image, but it doesn't capture the neon flash of the emerald green as they buzz about. They are amazingly beautiful to watch.

bugguide.net...

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You will be super lucky if you start seeing blue bees as well.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Those are really amazing photos, I've never actually seen any green or blue bees so this was cool.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
You will be super lucky if you start seeing blue bees as well.

I will have to keep an eye out for them.

Living in the woods makes for interesting times. Something is always showing up that I hadn't seen before. Now with construction taking place all around me, we are being closed in on all sides. The wildlife are having their natural habitats destroyed, so many are ending up in my backyard.

I try to keep as much of the area as natural as possible and so far they haven't crossed any boundaries, though I did wake up to my neighbor's bull, donkey, and turkey in my front yard yesterday. I think the word is out that my place is a safe place to be because if it is not cows, horses, goats, donkeys, turkeys, or peacocks, it is grey fox, rabbits, wild boar, bobcat, and Florida panthers coming to graze and hang out at the pond.
edit on 1-3-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I think it would be super rare invasive species if you saw one.

Apparently the blue bumble bees are native to select parts of asia.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Now if you ever see one of these guys don't even mess with them.

They come in a few different colors and can't fly but man they pack a wallop....they are sometimes called cow killers but are more commonly called velvet ants.
I have seen them myself in a yard and they are fairly big I think they are coming further north from the south and southwest.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
Now if you ever see one of these guys don't even mess with them.

They come in a few different colors and can't fly but man they pack a wallop....they are sometimes called cow killers but are more commonly called velvet ants.
I have seen them myself in a yard and they are fairly big I think they are coming further north from the south and southwest.

I have more than a healthy respect for those industrious little fellows, regardless of their classification.

My regular run ins with our local fire ants, keep me diligent. I know the damage a tiny ant can do; I have the scars to prove it.

edit on 1-3-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

I've seen the velvet ants. We have a variety of them here. More rusty in color than red.

The bane of my existance is paper wasps. I've battled them bastards in epic engagements, felling dozens at a time. I've learned my land better, and know where to fight them to keep them back from the house. I can generally ensure that only passing wasps come near the back porch now. But there's been lots of blood shed getting us there.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I've seen the velvet ants. We have a variety of them here. More rusty in color than red.

The bane of my existance is paper wasps. I've battled them bastards in epic engagements, felling dozens at a time. I've learned my land better, and know where to fight them to keep them back from the house. I can generally ensure that only passing wasps come near the back porch now. But there's been lots of blood shed getting us there.
How do you keep them from coming back?

They love my shed and it is indeed a constant battle.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I leave the dead nest in place.

I know it sounds gross and unsightly. But in West Texas they get thick. I have them coming in off of a rather large patch of very rough hills in a state park adjacent to my property. The only way I've found to keep them away is to leave nests in place after I kill them.

I've heard you can make mock nests to do the same trick (using paper bags and whatnot).

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I know it sounds gross and unsightly. But in West Texas they get thick. I have them coming in off of a rather large patch of very rough hills in a state park adjacent to my property. The only way I've found to keep them away is to leave nests in place after I kill them.

I've heard you can make mock nests to do the same trick (using paper bags and whatnot).

I will give that a try.

What do you use to kill them?

I have been using WD-40.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Absolutely beautiful, I had no idea such bees existed! Lucky you to get to see them.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Absolutely beautiful, I had no idea such bees existed! Lucky you to get to see them.

I am hoping they return tomorrow. Will look around my other plants to see what is flying around them.

I have 5 1/2 acres and because of the cool weather I have not had to mow for several months. The ground cover is so pretty, it looks like snow, so everything has remained natural. That may be why they have showed up, they are ground level nesting bees.

Unfortunately we have been having a bit of rain, so the mowing will have to start up again soon.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I will give that a try.

What do you use to kill them?

I have been using WD-40.

In Cocoa Beach (Florida) I get hornets and yellow jackets, both aggressive when they feel threatened or are being attacked (sprayed).
I've developed a method using wasp spray in one hand and "yard fogger" in the other.
Zap the main nest with the spray and fog all the strays/survivors coming at me with the fogger.

It drops them right out of the air

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

You will be super lucky if you start seeing blue bees as well. Text

It looks like this is the closest I might be able to find in Florida. Same family, also a ground nesting bee.

Agapostemon-splendens

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
DP
edit on 1-3-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: DP

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grubblesnert
That is sure smarter than my method.

Spray and run like hell.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

You will be super lucky if you start seeing blue bees as well. Text

It looks like this is the closest I might be able to find in Florida. Same family, also a ground nesting bee.

Agapostemon-splendens

Wow. cool.
I think I have seen a few green bees like the one in your picture.
And I know I have seen some of these guys don't worry it's not an ash borer.

As to cow killers this wildlife jackass volunteered to take a sting from one on his quest to move up the sting index too bullet ant which gets it's pleasant name because it's sting apparently feels like a bullet.

edit on 1-3-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Update
They have not returned.

I am guessing it is because it has been very over cast, and quite on the nippy side for the the last couple of day.

I am not likely to see them again, because I will have to mow my lawn on Monday. If I don't get called in, I might get a head start on the mowing come tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Stepped on one once, got it in the big toe, it was pretty intense.

Use to always see them when I'd wander around shooting crap.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join