It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BIGGEST TRIGGER -- Gun Ownership - Cannabis Legality - Aborting Babies.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

"I don't know if we can definitively say what the founders believed about future weapons technology or how well they understood the potential progression of firearms technology."

Very true, but we sure can definitively see the difference.

"The main limitation of the firearms technology of their era was the lack of self-contained ammunition and the ability to manufacture it. Did they understand that?"

The main limitation was rounds per minute but yes self contained ammunition and the ability to produce it in quantity also played its part regarding the issues associated with such.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
The main limitation was rounds per minute but yes self contained ammunition and the ability to produce it in quantity also played its part regarding the issues associated with such.

That's the thing, though. The rate of fire during that era was primarily limited by the lack of self-contained cartridges. Once those were invented, it was a game changer and small arms development advanced very quickly afterward.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Yes to all 3.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

1. Gun Ownership Rights. Second Amendment. Can't touch it.

2. Marijuana Legality/Usage. Common sense issue. It's a plant.

3. Aborting Babies. The fight to highlight that a pre-born infant is a life.

Guns shouldn't even be a debate. Might as well talk about removing the 1st Amendment.

Pot? Government needs to smoke some and relax.

Abortion? It's a life issue. Many don't believe that a pre-born infant is a life. But that type of primitive, unenlightened murder is legal, sadly.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom
I think now is the best shot we have to make the laws what the American people want.

With Sessions and Trump both alluding to the difference in state & federal laws and saying that changes need to be made. I think the change that needs to be made is to flip it over on the states and let them choose. Un-schedule the drug federally!

And in order of importance to my voting

1. Gun Ownership Rights.

2. Marijuana Legality/Usage.

3. Aborting Babies.

edit on 3/1/2017 by Martin75 because: hey hey we're the monkeys. People say we monkey around

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

That's kind of what i'm trying to imply with regards to the weapons available to the public in this day of age.

There is simply no need in a modern free thinking democratically orientated nation for the average person to have access to such weaponry short of going to a firing range.

Obviously when the founders of your nation proposed the second amendment they had no idea as to the implications it would have 240 odd years down the line, and if they did, if the could see the horrendous acts of depravity and genocide associated with the right to bear arms i imagine they might rethink the matter.

The second amendment was brought about to essentially protect the nation from any further attack by the British or any other nation for that matter.

Nobody is going to attack America in this day of age, aside from yourself, so what sensible purpose other than home defense/personal defense does the second amendment still serve?

The game has indeed changed, but the rules remains the same. That's problematic and nonsensical at best.

Fact is that there are children/young people/crazy bastards out there with no brains and access to automatic/semi-automatic weapons, that scenario is never going to play out well as is perfectly illustrated by historical factual evidence.
edit on 1-3-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

1. Gun Ownership Rights.
2. Marijuana Legality/Usage.
3. Aborting Babies.

1. Gun Ownership is my #1 voting issue. If someone wants to restrict guns in ANY WAY or wants to 'compromise' my rights away I won't vote for them...period.

2. Marijuana needs to be legal...there is no logical reason that alcohol is legal and marijuana is not...it isn't the Government's damn business.

3. I despise abortion and consider it murder, but I also believe people should have the freedom to choose their own path in life. I would rather adopt and foster kids than tell people not to make their own choices.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

1. Could that possibly be down to the fact that your nation has pretty much been weaned and exposed to fire arms since it's inception? What do you think would happen or change should the amendment be altered somewhat to be more inline with the times?

I get it, a significant percentage of the American people choose to retain there second amendment right to bear arms, i'm just posing the question. That's your choice and you are perfectly free to do so.

Sad but true fact.
edit on 1-3-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Since gun ownership and abortion are already legal, I'd have to go with marijuana.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So gun ownership and aborting perfectly viable fetus(Don't disagree but end of the day it's a sticky wicket, and the womans choice) are perfectly legal yet the consumption of what essentially amounts to a herb for anything other than medicinal purposes is illegal???

The logic behind such reasoning is laughable really.

End of the day "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" seems to be what the people wish and as long as that does not hurt or harm anyone else i cant see why that should not be the rule of the day.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Surely all these things should be an individual, personal choice and in no way influenced by the state.
edit on 1-3-2017 by markojo because: Inadvertently quoted the previous post

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
All 3!
Guns are a constitutional right. So are bullets.
Cannabis dangers are a lie or exaggerated to satisfy the haters.
Abortion should only be allowed in cases of mothers medical needs.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

People can kill an unborn child, "Oh they are so brave and progressive. Yaaassss!"

Then watch the looks on the faces of these same people when you smash a Peregrine Falcon or California Condor egg....

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

It's against the law to break a condor's egg.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Really makes ya think don't it?

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
1. You should be allowed to own a gun. This cost should be your information. Guns to strangers needs to end. If your 'profile' helps the swat team locate you two minutes faster when you go postal at Dairy Queen and run home, those two minutes are worth it. The illegal gun market in America is insane, and because it's a black market it simulates our economy so it's difficult to take down even with reasonable efforts. The only reason this reasonable requirement isn't often met is because of absurd strawman fears like identity theft, or obviously- crime. It needs to be embraced that having unregistered guns is gay, unless you specifically know the Government would take them, and it's nostalgic. "With great power comes yada yada"- Spiderman.

2. Smoking anything kills you. Cannabis legalization logic is about as logical as slavery. The people for it are strawman actors for states rights pushing literally drugs as a platform to show the new Republican Feds "Who's boss". It's disgusting and misguided all around. The medical efforts should be focused and funded(It really prevents cancer btw, this quality is useless if you're inducing cancer by smoking it), and not exploit the social recreational use for tax money. It should be decriminalized, the bar has been raised too high. By no means should it be legal to have, by no means should you be punished for using it, you know the legal ambiguity we all love. All safe formats should be legal. Jail for weed anything is a larger crime against humanity. A fine for being caught selling it is acceptable. If caught with it in public, the logical response as the officer should be "Go Home.(And smoke there you idiot.)"

3. My god. This conversation in 2016. How long do we want to be remembered for being so stupid as to tell people where THEY can #? Or what THEY can do with their body? Jesus, help you, if you don't like abortions, don't get one, that's the MOST you should do. Just as you should # where you want to #. God gave you free will, try to use it. If you don't like your tax money going to that 'nonsense' I'll give you American advice: "Move." When x-special political figures child gets knocked up at a party by a fun black boy she met on Tuesday, Republican means freaking squat. These people trade their ideology for their own versions of hypocritical rationality all the time, leniency need to be made if it's to be regulated in some form. And the 'punishments' being denial of abortion or further birthcontrol is insane also. Have you guys ever heard of a Darwin award? Just grant their prize and kill the line. If you want to make specific programs where women and adoption agencies combine, and abortions are walking in as fast as new parents I'm all for it, but that is fiction compared to the reality of the numbers. I am literally saying, everyone seems to wonder who the authority is in this topic? It's foster the parents that are taking claim to rasing all these new 'souls'.
edit on 2-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: carewemust
3. Aborting Babies.

Generally no one 'aborts babies'.
That emotionally laden baggage doesn't help a rational discussion, unless you are trying to bias it somehow.
Fetuses are aborted.
Zygotes are aborted.
'Aborting' a 'baby' is generally considered murder, legally.
I'm sure just an oversight on your part...

Thats just a useful tactic try to detach you from what it happening, just like when the US bombs a wedding and we just call them militants so we dont feel bad. There is no scientific information on the origins of consciousness, we dont know what it is, where it comes from or when it starts. its an opinion that the baby in vitro is considered "only" a fetus. makes killing it easier.

That is what I'm saying, that your 'argument' is all 'emotional' and not rational. An emotional attachment to an idea/belief does not a rational discussion make.

And I'm well aware of the impossibility of 'defining' Consciousness. That is not the issue. A rock is as Conscious as a zygote.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

originally posted by: DBCowboy

People can kill an unborn child, "Oh they are so brave and progressive. Yaaassss!"

Then watch the looks on the faces of these same people when you smash a Peregrine Falcon or California Condor egg....

With all respect, a falcon or a condor do not bully my children, or sell them drugs, do not shoot people, do not break in and steal, do not hack, do not poison Our environment, and on and on ad-infinitum!
I can see why these creatures are more valued than insane humanity!
Really, can't you? (despite the natural bias?)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

So, you see the value of a carrion bird more so than "insane humans", and yet you procreated, making more humans.

Didn't think that one through did ya.

Don't feel bad, most people just make babies without ever thinking it through.

You know because cutting up an "accidental" fetus is way easier than contraceptives or practicing restraint.

edit on 2-3-2017 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I don't see how this is surprising unless I have this right: Non site activity(unless returning/old name), apparently, during the Libertarian Ron Paul leaning years here. The site is still Libertarian leaning whether members are left or right leaning, which includes support for cannabis legalization.

Also, polls say more Americans support it than not. Not that I trust polls per se but across the board it may also reflect the site's, of course a small one comparatively, stance.
-one source

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join