It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life's A Beach [YJA 2017]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Writer-thanks for reading.

The roar of the charging surf racing toward the shore to pummel itself into the silky white sand is what finally roused her from what feels like must have been the deepest and most restful sleep she had enjoyed in ages. Stretching and blinking her watery eyes she leaned up on an elbow staring across the emerald green sea. The sun, beaming down, was creating the illusion of shimmering diamonds swelling up and down on the surface of the water. But oddly, no boats in the distance, no black and white sea birds diving and dancing on the ocean breeze, the sounds of families reveling in their holiday joy was absent.

She turned her head toward the west and with her eyes followed the coastline of the gulf. Creasing her brow and squinting, using her hand to shield her eyes from the glare of the dazzling sunshine, she searched for the cityscape that she was certain had been there at one time in the distance. Scanning the scenery and trying to recall her exact location from earlier in the day, thinking that she must have gotten herself turned around before her nap, she was certain she had only walked a short distance to the east but…

Reversing her gaze to the other direction she started upon seeing a figure, maybe 50 yards away, walking toward her. Finally, she thought, someone to tell me where I am and where the heck is everyone else for that matter. As the individual approached and began to come into focus she realized, what appeared to be, the outline of a statuesque female. Long, wavy and flowing hair cascading across a white and breezy iridescent gown. Although the woman’s face was glowing brilliantly, almost phosphorescent and no detailed features were discernible, she was positively breathtaking.

“Hey, I’m so glad you showed up. I think I may be lost or something. Anyway I’m not sure where I am or how to get home, I imagine my children are worried and I have no idea what time it is. Oh gosh, so sorry about my manners, I’m Shelly”, she stuck out her hand and flashed a beaming smile, “it’s so nice to meet you and I’m so relieved that you've shown up.”

As the ethereal figure took her hand, Shelly felt a wave of electricity that caused her to tremble and fill with elation and emotion.

“You’re not lost, my darling”, the figure said in a melodic and graceful tone. “You are exactly where you are supposed to be.”

“Hmm?” Tipping her head up with a confused look, towards the strange and beautiful woman, Shelly inquired with her eyes.

“Look back toward the sea…to see…”

Shelly looked toward the ocean at the swelling and crashing waves and the diamonds dancing on the surface straining to study the distant horizon. She relaxed as the woman placed her hands on Shelly’s shoulders and felt warmth as she brushed against the side of her face. Fragrant and sweet breath whispered in her ear.
“Remember…just remember…they are healing now, the worst is over.”

Suddenly Shelly’s body fell limp against the other woman and she did, at that moment, begin to remember........

Brrrnngg! Brrrnngg!
“Damnit!” Shelly looked up at the clock again, 4:55PM. Let it go to voicemail, she decided. There had been so much to do today to get the office in order for her much needed mini vaca and none of it went right.

Her cell phone buzzed from her purse and she knew it was one of her daughters asking again where something was (in the laundry or under the bed likely) or when she was coming home. They were supposed to leave at 6pm. They always arrived at sunrise, it had become a tradition.

Sliding her thumb across the touch screen…”listen, I’m leaving right now. Is all of the luggage by the front door? ”, Shelly inquired.

“Yes, mom”, they replied in glorious harmony!

“Good, I’ll be there in 45 minutes…I’m not even shutting off the car.”

“Come on Mom, we want to go now…we’ve got to be there when the sun comes up, it’s the rule!”

“Okay, you two…on my way…HEY…I love you, both! We’re going to have a great time!”

“We love you too, Mom!” they chirped!

Looking at the clock again as she logged out of her email and shut down the computer. 5:10PM. grabbing her bag and her coat, turning off lights as she went, stopping only briefly to set the alarm and out the door she flew. Rush hour traffic in Knoxville can be brutal leaving town and heading up the mountain for their weekends, commuters, lost in a fog of plans and casting off stress of the work week can easily get distracted and what should be a 45 minute trip home can suddenly become a three hour delay sitting amongst a heap of metal and exhaust fumes.

As she passed the weigh station and the I-75 corridor, she felt an exuberance take over and she knew that she was in the home stretch. The lights of the city fading behind her as she climbed the hill toward home. Vehicles becoming scattered in between and suddenly, something popped out from the wood line running and galloping toward the road…toward her!

She had been going a little fast up the side of the mountain and as she crested, there it was, the most beautiful impending figure of a deer. His breath steaming and wafting upward in the night air. Impenetrable and unmoving. Shelly jerked the wheel and swerved to avoid him and in doing so…travelled across the median and into the oncoming two lanes of traffic. Ineffectively, she pumped the brakes and the car began to skid out of control. The guard rail was no match for the weighted vehicle, going much too fast, and Shelly and the car went over the bluff. Flipping end over end in what seemed like a morbid replay of "how the deer escaped his death" that night.

Shelly would not be so lucky.

She was fortunate, though, that she lost consciousness before the car came to a crashing stop against a tree.

It was done.

Suddenly, almost propelled back to the beach, Shelly gasped for air and coughed as she realized that she was on the other side now and had crossed over
It had become dawn and the air grew cool. She felt the stinging heat of the tears streaming down her face.

Her guardian grasped her shoulders firmly and said, "don’t be sad…look…this is a joyous time."

She fixed her gaze on the horizon once again and slowly, with a new strength, turned to look back up the beach. She saw her beautiful daughters in the distance…happy, laughing and holding hands, grown women now with children of their own meeting the beach at sunrise...it's a tradition and it's healing.

The sun was just now beginning to come up over the horizon...

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Lifes a bitch ( The bitch being the women whos is experiencing life in this story) Clever lol

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

That was a great read. Thanks for writing it

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Excellent! Glad to see you playing on this one.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Sorry....but that was still so sad. It may just be where I am tonight with a family member hanging on to life. Having lived on the gulf for a third of my life, your prose felt very real; bravo.

I hope when my time comes I wake up to your story; beautifully written. Btw, I am scared to death to drive in those Tennessee mountains-but I'm going to have to make that trek from Atlanta to Nashville soon as my dear friend's daughter is singing and making records there-lovely city.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Sadly Beautiful! Wonderful writing. Thanks for entering..

S&F

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Geez girl...I got goosebumps and tears in my eyes...

That was really great writing, but oh-so-sad.

Funny where our creativity takes us, huh? You and Augustus both end up on a beach.
(Advice: Don't eat the caviar! It's a trap.)

Anyways, it's just a story and I calmed myself down by remembering that we are Thelma & Louise...and that's not how our story will end. (oh wait...it kind of is...hmm...)

S&F (and hugs)
jacy

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: daniel2sxc
Lifes a bitch ( The bitch being the women whos is experiencing life in this story) Clever lol

It is, isn't it?!

Thank you for reading!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Thanks you!

I enjoyed your story as well!

Very poetic

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks Augustus!

Your themes are inspiring and motivating.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Beautiful read.

Held on to every word.

bally

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Sorry....but that was still so sad. It may just be where I am tonight with a family member hanging on to life. Having lived on the gulf for a third of my life, your prose felt very real; bravo.

I hope when my time comes I wake up to your story; beautifully written. Btw, I am scared to death to drive in those Tennessee mountains-but I'm going to have to make that trek from Atlanta to Nashville soon as my dear friend's daughter is singing and making records there-lovely city.

I'm so sorry about your friend and I hope you all will find peace no matter the outcome. I believe there's peace on the 'other side' as well.

I imagine you will take I-24 to Nashville and only one real rough spot about Monteagle Mountain. Just stay alert and, if possible, go on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Good luck to your friend! I hope you find strength.

Thank you for reading and your comments.
((hugs))

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

You are always so kind. Thank you for reading it.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Funny where our creativity takes us, huh? You and Augustus both end up on a beach. (Advice: Don't eat the caviar! It's a trap.)

Oh gosh! I don't know if I should be giggling or scared that the Mason and I wound up on a beach...thinking alike?
*shudders*
little scary, I think!

Anyways, it's just a story and I calmed myself down by remembering that we are Thelma & Louise...and that's not how our story will end. (oh wait...it kind of is...hmm...)

Well, in our alternate timeline...Louise veers away from the cliff at the last second and the T-Bird has wings that pop out (sort of like the batmobile or something) and they fly away into the oblivion, on adventures, watching everyone below and just laughing and laughing...

((hugs)) back, you're fantastic!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

I think of you often and hope things are improved.

Thank you for taking time for my story, you are kind and thoughtful.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Beautiful! Loved the imagery and story!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I am so in! What could possibly go wrong?

Just be glad you didn't wind up dead on a beach with Augustus! He's gonna have some really weird karma to deal with!

jacy

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   

This was truly great!!! Felt very real emotion while reading it.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Thanks-enjoyed your imagery.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
Thanks Augustus!

Your themes are inspiring and motivating.

You've been drinking.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join