It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Test Shows Subway’s Oven-Roasted Chicken Is Only 50 Percent Chicken

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Creepy for sure, especially after that Jared guy was outed for his weird creepiness.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

They are sandwich artists thank you very much. Minimum wage artists.

I stopped being interested in their food when they had to be pushed to get the chemicals out of their bread.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I guess I'm the dummy in this thread, because while I realize that most fast food (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.) has very questionable ingredients in their "meat" (and I guess probably eggs and dairy as well), I didnt lump Subway into the lot of them. I guess I have incorrectly thought of Subway as, though fast food, at least real-looking ingredients that are assembled into your meal in front of you.

So I am VERY surprised that if I get a chicken sandwich there- it's only 50% chicken?! What the hell!!!

What a damn mess. How is it legal that a company can say they are serving us a chicken sandwich and not mention that it's half chicken, and half SOMETHING ELSE?

OP, I thank you for this thread.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ya but the part that is chicken is 100% chicken, the other part is not a meat it is soy.

Would you rather have lab meat?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Wait'll they roll out the Soylent Green patties.

I guess in that case we'd actually want more filler and less meat.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Soy, especially the pesticide-laden GMO form surely used as cheap filler at garbage fast food joints, is certainly not good for anyone. While I don't indulge in Subway, if it was actual chicken, I might in a pinch.

Knowing it's loaded with estrogen-inducing, pesticide-laden GM soy meal, however, I'll file it away under "only if cannibalism is the only other option."

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
THE OUTRAGE!!!!

Yeah, how many of you raging right now probably have a Subway wrapper in your garbage can? LOL

I love how everyone rails on the 1st world conveniences they secretly enjoy.

"Yeah! I totally don't ever eat fast food, use Facebook, own a cellphone or drink anything but special ozonated water!" *piece of lettuce hangs off beard, and a subway bag hangs out of their pocket*
edit on 28-2-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
But it was endorsed by the greatest nutritionist dictator of all time, Michelle Obama.

Don't tell me she was paid to lie!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
To the people who say soy isn't bad.
Then this is gonna make you angry www.google.nl...

Monsanto controls 93% of the soy market in the US.
Bon apetit

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
THE OUTRAGE!!!!

Yeah, how many of you raging right now probably have a Subway wrapper in your garbage can? LOL

I love how everyone rails on the 1st world conveniences they secretly enjoy.

"Yeah! I totally don't ever eat fast food, use Facebook, own a cellphone or drink anything but special ozonated water!" *piece of lettuce hangs off beard, and a subway bag hangs out of their pocket*

I don't eat in establishments that seem less sanitary than the average Tacos Al Carbon in Juarez.

Ill throw down a Big Mac. Love me some McDonalds. If the restaurant looks like its clean. But Subways look like a petrie dish staffed by the local bacteria.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I going to put my 2 cents in on this one, as I am currently working in the food industry for the uni holidays.

We make all your chicken related products from supermarket to fast food chains, KFC to Pizzahut.

Bearing in mind I am working in a different country, I imagine the ingredients are still pretty similar

This seems like a bit of a smear against subway especially as they appear to be comparing formed meat to whole meat, actually reading the article in question yeh, its a chicken pattie vs chicken fillets. Obviously a formed pattie like the subway in question is going to contain less meat, think turning mince into meat balls, you need a binding agent to hold it all together, while the mcdonalds/wendys in question is a grilled fillet (just a piece of meat) even so it is still not 100% chicken with all the additives.

Its hard to say how much soy they contain as the article doesn't actually say, subway claims less than 1% which is probably the case unless their supplier is short changing them, however I think soy protein is used as padding in a lot of the cheaper products (think value range chicken nuggets and tenders at the supermarkets) to balance to nutritional values on the back of the packet. You can't avoid the soy unless you are buy plain old chicken meat, or allergen free chicken products.

Typically a formed chicken product will be 30-50% chicken while a whole meat item will be 50-95% (depending on crumbs, seasonings, etc).
Off the top of my head some values are, BK Nuggets 37% chicken, Wendy's crumbed chicken breast fillet 56% and Pizza Hutt wings are 90% chicken. As for what part of the bird the "chicken" comes from well, it depends. These days McD's and the like are ground breast and a lot of skin. We even grind up the deformed nuggets and rework them back into mix at a certain %.

If you want the most chicken from your fast food place go for the fillets, needless to say the job is a bit of an eye opener and I don't eat at any of these places anymore, unless I'm drunk!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join