It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Test Shows Subway’s Oven-Roasted Chicken Is Only 50 Percent Chicken

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Think Fresh, with 53% chicken DNA gotta make you wonder what the rest is. According tot he test the remaining chicken "product" is soy protein.

Subway was among five fast-food restaurants whose chicken the Canadian Broadcast Corporation had tested.

The results showed the Oven Roasted Chicken patties averaged 53.6 percent chicken DNA while the Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki strips came in at 42.8 percent.

Subway Canada cannot confirm the tests. They contend that there is a very small % of soy protein to stabilize the chicken. According to the story McDonalds and Wendy's chicky is in the 80%'s.

“SUBWAY Canada cannot confirm the veracity of the results of the lab testing you had conducted. However, we are concerned by the alleged findings you cite with respect to the proportion of soy content. Our chicken strips and oven roasted chicken contain 1% or less of soy protein. We use this ingredient in these products as a means to help stabilize the texture and moisture. All of our chicken items are made from 100% white meat chicken which is marinated, oven roasted and grilled. We tested our chicken products recently for nutritional and quality attributes and found it met our food quality standards. We will look into this again with our supplier to ensure that the chicken is meeting the high standard we set for all of our menu items and ingredients.”

In case you wondered what the rest of the patties and chicken strips are made of: It’s soy.
losangeles.cbslocal.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

In general.... I typically like your threads but this one is making me think you are running out of ideas. Is it THAT important to create a constant stream of threads? (That is meant as constructive criticism.... I really do enjoy most of your threads).

Specific to this one.... I'm not sure what the story here is exactly....? As far as I'm concerned fast food is something along the lines of cigarettes. With all of the information out there.... I refuse to believe that the majority of people think of it as healthy. I also refuse to believe that most people think that a chicken (or whatever) sandwich is made purely of chicken.

Soy? Why not? I'm not sure I see the harm.

Just my two cents anyway.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Sounds like it's made wherever the other fast food joints get their chicken sandwich and chicken fingers and etc material from.

I call all it "Chicken Foam".

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is the same company that had plastic in its bread.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Actually, there bigger sin was selling the 11" subs as foot-longs.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I have a vague recollection of McDonald's cheering that their chicken McNuggets were, "Now made with chicken!"
(I believe emu is what they were made of prior).

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I call all it "Chicken Foam".

I was probably one of the only not surprised, nor disgusted, by the "pink slime" bust.

When you think about it, all meat and meat-like products are kinda gross in their own way. It comes down to what you learned to think is an acceptable cut of meat and what isn't. It's an emotional reaction moreso than a nutritional one.

No one in their right mind would think any fast food meat is 100% authentic from that animal.

Bring on the chicken foam and pink slime! nom nom

edit on 28-2-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I found it odd that Subway claims 1% added protien product to the chicken, and a DNA test came up with 47% added soy protein. If this story is accurate, this is a huge savings to Subway. I can see a class action suit.

It isn't my usual subject matter, and it's ok if you don't like it, I found it telling of the general condition of our food supply.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes subway, after public pressure:
Subway Takes Chemical Out of Sandwich Bread After Protest
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

In general.... I typically like your threads but this one is making me think you are running out of ideas.

OP manages to infuse conspiracy into the food & cooking forum and you complain about it?

I say, keep on truckin' Seasonal! Make ATS great again!

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: eluryh22

In general.... I typically like your threads but this one is making me think you are running out of ideas.

OP manages to infuse conspiracy into the food & cooking forum and you complain about it?

I say, keep on truckin' Seasonal! Make ATS great again!

You know what? You are completely correct.
Nobody had a gun to my head forcing me into this thread.

I extend an apology to the OP.

Keep on Truckin' indeed.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Thank you,

I wonder if Canada has an FDA type of org that will have their big fat ticket book out? Someone somewhere (supplier?) is going to be in deep doo doo and/or be a scapegoat.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

None needed, I'm glad we can like and not like each other threads. It is always interesting to see how people look at problems just like this one with Subway and their 1/2 chicken product.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

That's not soy...

If any of you don't get the reference, it's from Fried Green Tomatoes. If you've seen it, you'll catch my drift.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Every time I read one of these stories, it makes me very glad I have taken the responsibility to grow my own food. I just butchered a fat rooster. And even though its pretty gross to do it, I thank my lucky stars for having the property to grow my own chickens, goats, turkeys, rabbits and a huge garden and lots of fruit trees. Goats for milk, butter and cheese. Chickens for eggs and freezer.

I dont trust even grocery store food anymore and sooner or later, we are all going to struggle to find "clean food".

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
From your link;

The sandwich chain refuted the results of the DNA test in a released statement:
Our chicken strips and oven roasted chicken contain 1% or less of soy protein. All of our chicken items are made from 100% white meat chicken
A slight contradiction, opps.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Oh dear god no...lol!😆

It was the man that was killed? A "Manwhich"🙄
edit on 28-2-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Sounds like good eating. We had a rooster that would chase every bird that landed on his grass away. He was stupid busy all day.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

47% of the time the Chicken is chicken 100% of the time

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

i remarked to my wife the other day that I have no idea how Subway's are still around. They are run down dumps that employ grimey people with more than questionable hygeine.

I get creeped out just walking in one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join