It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Dictatorship Makes News Around the World

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: freedomSlave
a reply to: Telos
I was wondering the same thing I don't think people know what a dictator is anymore. That doesn't surprise me hell this used to be a great site for conspiracies .. Now it just seems to be a platform for political bashing .

The OP references 'foreign' press, not US media. Their words, not local. Hence the title "Around the World."

Accepting that other countries and continents like Asia and Africa have more direct experience with "dictators" and "dictatorships" than the US (other than justifying military expenditures to deal with same), they might be considered by some to be more qualified to comment.

Also, accepting that "people (don't) know what a dictator is anymore" - here is a quick primer from study.com:

What Is a Dictator?

A dictatorship is a form of government characterized by the absolute rule of one person or a very small group of people who hold all political power. …

…Dictators make unilateral decisions that affect their countries without having to consult any other branch of government. …Human nature being what it is, dictators don't rise to power for the good of their nations (though they usually claim otherwise). They seize power to benefit themselves, their families and their close political allies.

A cult of personality often surrounds a dictator, driven by myths - typically perpetuated by the government-controlled media - about the ruler that are designed to build him up in the minds of the citizens as …the only one capable of bringing prosperity to the nation.

the people living in a dictatorship have no rights of free speech, freedom of religion, a free press or even the right to hold an opinion in opposition to the ruler
….

Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Adam4fourHeiman

I know, I'm just sayin that's all he's accomplished so far. As long as he makes his own decisions, like a dictator he's happy. But wait til he has to work with congress to get what he wants.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

He has not held public office but I'm sure he knows how the federal government works considering he's been in politics for more than 40 years having backed Ronald Reagan's 1980 election.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

That float says it all.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Crazy that is so clear to some and so fogged for others.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I usually like your threads and I still commend the effort you put into this one, but this is projection and conjecture at its finest.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

I usually like your threads and I still commend the effort you put into this one, but this is projection and conjecture at its finest.

I am simply reporting what people around the world are saying. Perhaps they are projecting and conjecturing, I can't say. But if you question their veracity, you need to take your issues up with them, not me.

...Or do you think such criticism should not be reported? If not, why not?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

This thread makes entirely too much sense. S&F

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Usually a good idea not to spread deluded, over emotional nonsense. The Hitlerian circle jerk is for drama queens.
But if the drama floats your boat.. go for it.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
To compare him to Obama...basically...

Obama and his administration for the most part thought...What can we do to improve America?

Don and his administration is thinking...What can we do legally and what laws can we twist to get what we want from America?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here's a pretty balanced report on costs, basically saying we don't know yet. But let's not forget the other main issues raised (outside the US): a) using the US Presidency to promote personal business interests and profit directly, and b) the dangers created for foreign journalists by demonizing critical media and anonymous sources.

How much is President Trump's travel actually costing American taxpayers?

...REIMBURSEMENT:

The big question is how much President Trump will have to repay taxpayers for these trips.

The answer depends on how his visits to Mar-a-Lago are categorized.

So far, the White House says Trump’s visits to his Winter White House were working trips. He hosted Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe one weekend and interviewed candidates for National Security Advisor the next.

That would mean Trump wouldn’t have to pay, and the cost of the trips wouldn’t be counted in his travel total.

Critics point out that Trump could have done both of these things from the White House or Camp David and not burdened taxpayers with additional costs.

EXTRAPOLATION:

If Trump’s three trips to Mar-a-Lago did take $10.6 million out of local and federal tax coffers, that’s nearly as much as Obama spent on personal travel per year.

It would also put him on track to outpace Obama’s eight year total by the end of 2017.

But...

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Usually a good idea not to spread deluded, over emotional nonsense. The Hitlerian circle jerk is for drama queens.

FACTS: Around the world journalists are being tortured to name their sources. They are being disappeared, beheaded, imprisoned. Because they criticize and question their rulers. You can dismiss it all as "drama," but the fallout and collateral damage from Trump's drama is very real.

Again:

AFRICA: How Trump is emboldening dictators

...President Trump took his anti-media rhetoric to a new level, doubling down on his description of journalists as “the enemy of the people” and calling for an end to the use of anonymous sources. …

The unrelenting attacks on the news media ...do even greater damage outside the United States, where America’s standing as a global beacon of press freedom is being drastically eroded.

...At a time when journalists around the world are being killed and imprisoned in record numbers, Mr. Trump’s relentless tirades against “fake news” are emboldening autocrats and depriving threatened and endangered journalists of one of their strongest supporters — the United States government.

…It is leaders of autocratic countries, not democracies, who make a point of telling journalists how they should do their job. Praising positive coverage while lashing out at reporters who write something critical gives succor to the likes of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, a country where news outlets have been shuttered and a record number of journalists imprisoned. Meanwhile, Mr. Trump’s attacks on the use of anonymous sources undermine the work of journalists reporting sensitive stories in repressive and dangerous environments from Iraq to Mexico, where source protection is a matter of life and death.

…In President Trump’s carpet bombing of the news media, it is not just the United States’ global reputation that is collateral damage. Rather, it is the brave journalists on the front line who risk their lives and liberty to bring the world the news.
It is to our great shame that they can no longer count on the support of the United States.

BURUNDI: 'Fake news' fuelled civil war in Burundi.

As a journalist, it is Aline’s job to report on her country and president, but she doesn’t know how to without getting killed.

Pierre Nkurunziza is Burundi’s fearsome, undemocratic president who stands accused of inciting ethnic tensions while dismissing any negative stories on him as lies.

Intimidation of the press is a professional operation…

Since Nkurunziza announced that he would run for a third term in April 2015, Burundi has been plunged into chaos, with many warning of a return to civil war. The president, his party and the police have been accused by orchestrating a campaign of violence and intimidation, where targeted assassinations, torture and sexual violence are daily occurrences.

Underpinning this has been a war on independent media. Following a failed coup attempt in May 2015, Nkurunziza declared journalists were “fighting the government” and marked them as an enemy of the people. Journalists were detained and killed, newspaper offices and radio stations were set on fire and radio signals were cut.

…“They keep lying and saying it’s fake and none of these things are happening,” Aline said from neighbouring Rwanda where she has sought refuge. “This is why I have to keep reporting, to tell the truth.”

…“When you see a soldier or a policeman, your heart beats faster, and you say to yourself, ‘now is when I’m going to die’. If someone finds you and beats you, and you survive the beating, you say thank you,” said Aline, reflecting the reality for journalists in Burundi.

“When they take people, you know you’ll never see them again.”

edit on 28/2/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

FACTS: Around the world journalists are being tortured to name their sources. They are being disappeared, beheaded, imprisoned. Because they criticize and question their rulers. You can dismiss it all as "drama," but the fallout and collateral damage is very real.

Again:

AFRICA: How Trump is emboldening dictators

...President Trump took his anti-media rhetoric to a new level, doubling down on his description of journalists as “the enemy of the people” and calling for an end to the use of anonymous sources. …

The unrelenting attacks on the news media ...do even greater damage outside the United States, where America’s standing as a global beacon of press freedom is being drastically eroded.

...At a time when journalists around the world are being killed and imprisoned in record numbers, Mr. Trump’s relentless tirades against “fake news” are emboldening autocrats and depriving threatened and endangered journalists of one of their strongest supporters — the United States government.

…It is leaders of autocratic countries, not democracies, who make a point of telling journalists how they should do their job. Praising positive coverage while lashing out at reporters who write something critical gives succor to the likes of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, a country where news outlets have been shuttered and a record number of journalists imprisoned. Meanwhile, Mr. Trump’s attacks on the use of anonymous sources undermine the work of journalists reporting sensitive stories in repressive and dangerous environments from Iraq to Mexico, where source protection is a matter of life and death.

…In President Trump’s carpet bombing of the news media, it is not just the United States’ global reputation that is collateral damage. Rather, it is the brave journalists on the front line who risk their lives and liberty to bring the world the news.
It is to our great shame that they can no longer count on the support of the United States.

BURUNDI: 'Fake news' fuelled civil war in Burundi.

As a journalist, it is Aline’s job to report on her country and president, but she doesn’t know how to without getting killed.

Pierre Nkurunziza is Burundi’s fearsome, undemocratic president who stands accused of inciting ethnic tensions while dismissing any negative stories on him as lies.

Intimidation of the press is a professional operation…

Since Nkurunziza announced that he would run for a third term in April 2015, Burundi has been plunged into chaos, with many warning of a return to civil war. The president, his party and the police have been accused by orchestrating a campaign of violence and intimidation, where targeted assassinations, torture and sexual violence are daily occurrences.

Underpinning this has been a war on independent media. Following a failed coup attempt in May 2015, Nkurunziza declared journalists were “fighting the government” and marked them as an enemy of the people. Journalists were detained and killed, newspaper offices and radio stations were set on fire and radio signals were cut.

…“They keep lying and saying it’s fake and none of these things are happening,” Aline said from neighbouring Rwanda where she has sought refuge. “This is why I have to keep reporting, to tell the truth.”

…“When you see a soldier or a policeman, your heart beats faster, and you say to yourself, ‘now is when I’m going to die’. If someone finds you and beats you, and you survive the beating, you say thank you,” said Aline, reflecting the reality for journalists in Burundi.

“When they take people, you know you’ll never see them again.”

No other word for it.. drama for drama queens.
The whole Hitler angle has become a silly joke, but still entertaining for some it seems.
I hear the next thing is that Trump is going to be blamed for global warming.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So the Germans are talking now about Dictators ???? Sieg Heil!!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

so is everyone around the world is a Drama Queen and you and your type are the only sane ones...in the world?

edit on 28-2-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Your OP claims Trump said journalists "enemy of the people". When did he say that? As far as I Know he said the Media is the enemy of the people, which is true. Why are you lying?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
"Racist" "Hitler" "Fascist" "Dictator", what do these words even mean anymore?

It would seem that those who hurl these names at others are much too uneducated to understand the vocabulary, and it's intended usage.
SO YEA, the words have effectively lost their meaning to hyperbolic bastardization.

link   

Where were you the last 8 years when the media was a mouthpiece of the administration and attacking any media critical of him as "fake news"?

EDIT: Also, this is the Bush admin all over again. All the same talking points. All the same rhetoric. It seems everyone hates us and we're all going to die anytime a Democrat loses an election.
edit on 28-2-2017 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

link   

RE: Around the world journalists are being tortured to name their sources. They are being disappeared, beheaded, imprisoned. Because they criticize and question their rulers. You can dismiss it all as "drama," but the fallout and collateral damage from Trump's drama is very real.

No other word for it.. drama for drama queens.

Your apparent ignorance of foreign affairs, lack of compassion and persistent cold-hearted dismissal of others' true-life tragedies does give one pause.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join