It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston Dynamics unveils 'nightmare-inducing' hybrid robot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Here's a story and video about a two wheeled robot named Handle.

Meet Handle, the two-wheeled, four-legged creation from the Google-owned robotics firm that even company founder Marc Raibert says is frightening

Google-owned robotics firm and “nightmare” factory Boston Dynamics has released video of its latest creation: a two-wheeled, four-legged hybrid robot named Handle.

The robot can stand on four legs, like Boston Dynamics’ previous creations such as BigDog and Spot. But at the end of its back two legs are two stabilised wheels, which let it stand up vertically and roll around at speeds of up to nine miles per hour. Think “Terminator riding on a hoverboard” and you’ll have a pretty good idea of the impression Handle gives off.

Google’s parent company Alphabet is reportedly looking to offload Boston Dynamics, following tensions within the company about its subsidiary’s fit within the wider corporate culture. After a previous robotics video was posted to YouTube, Google communications staff sought to distance the company from the hardware, according to emails leaked to Bloomberg News, citing the feeling that such technology could be “terrifying”.

www.theguardian.com...

Here's the video:

www.youtube.com...

I don't see it as nightmare inducing but I have heard that things Boston Dynamics is working on can get pretty scary when you think these machines will be equipped with artificial intelligence one day.

Edit:

Here's a version of the video:

edit on 28-2-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I can see the creep factor. I really don't like it's posture added with rapidly moving forward. Like it's about to lunge at you.

However I understand that's likely due to whatever it's overall purpose is as a robot, and demo moves.

-Alees

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

"... speeds of up to 9 miles per hour"

Well, if they start attacking I'm F'd if I'm on foot. I can't run at 9 MPH for more than 2 minutes at a time. Time to get some new running shoes (just in case)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Good find.

...So many different robots being announced (and not announced). The ones in the public getting big press are usually the sweet-and-innocent looking "R2D2" types - but they can pack a wallop too.

Things are definitely getting interesting.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
They've come along way since poor Asimo falling over every other show

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There's absolutely nothing frightening about this. It's a robot.

I'm going with clever marketing ploy for brand recognition.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Posted weeks ago.

Linky

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

It sure looked like it was going faster than that to me, but that could just be because it's so freaky looking.

Still, wow. Scary. But wow.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I dont really get the nightmare angle.

The look of it in action however does make me think its creepy. I had a flash back to toy story movie where the kid next door has all sorts of strange toys built from parts of other toys.

But at the end of it, its just a crazy robot thats got no usefulness or practicality what so ever. Are they just proving the most insane ideas are doable, sort of proving that "anything is possible"?

Kind of jealous of the workers at Boston Dynamics, "hey, engineer types, here bucket loads of cash, build whatever you like" Sounds like a job a 5 year old lego lover would dream up.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I can totally imagine this guy replacing folks who pass out tickets for parking at hydrants or expired meters..or rescuing someone in a burning building...that is pretty amazing..
edit on 28-2-2017 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

This was the first thing that came to my mind when seeing this thing. Lmao.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The 'nightmare' is in reference to horses from fantasy literature. NightMARE. They are evil horses, usually undead and often with flaming hooves or manes.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Why is this frightening? This isn't frightening.

The self-repairing robots with etheric technology. They are frightening.

I could defeat this robot in hand to hand combat without even breaking a sweat.

Clown robot. Clown technology.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadMoonJester

Clown robot. Clown technology.

In 10 years time do you think they will still be clowns ?

At the rate robot technology is accelerating, i'm betting they will be scary as hell.

top topics

join