It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since Windows 10 Killed my old computer I have two questions...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Same old story but it's been a while so I'm wondering if any new "simple fixes" have been born.

(This was about a year ago....)
I had a nothing-special Dell Inspiron Desktop. It kept asking me to upgrade to Windows 10 and I consistently declined. Although I can't prove it, I suspect my wife may have hit "OK" at some point because one day it had trouble starting up and when it did.... Windows 10 was there. Within 24 hours the thing was essentially a paperweight. While I'm not a computer expert, I'm somewhat computer literate so I did some of the basic moves. Tried starting in "safe mode" and running some basic diagnostics and all that. No luck.

I back things up on external hard drives fairly regularly so there isn't too much that is (or might) be lost. Probably a few hundred photos (which is nothing the way my wife and I take pictures of our son, our pets, random sunsets and all that jazz). There are also a few hundred work related pictures which, while not world ending, I would rather not lose.

I'm reluctant to bring it to one of the local computer repair folks because although there aren't any top secret items on there.... I do have a fair amount of personal information (tax documents with SS numbers and things of that nature). I have no reason to believe that a computer repair guy would risk his career to steal that information.... but I tend to be a little overly cautious with things like this.

All of this brings me to my two questions....

1) As I mentioned, it's been about a year since this happened to my old computer so I'm wondering if there are any quick "fixes" that have been developed/discovered/created to save the computer itself? I've periodically searched the interwebz but much of the questions and answers seem very dated (and none of which were very helpful back in the day). Does anyone know of any more recent fixes that actually work?

If not.... then question number....

2) While discussing this with a coworker he had initially recommended, assuming I didn't care about the computer itself (which I don't)..... he recommended I purchase a SATA to USB cable.... remove the old hard drive and import the files that I want into my new computer. Seemed pretty straight forward until he texted me later on and said (paraphrase), "Wait! SATA won't work on a desktop hard drive because it will need power." In my layman's mind I think I understand what he was saying. I suppose my question is.... can anyone recommend a "powered" SATA cable that has a USB on the other end so I can retrieve the files that I would like to save? During my online window shopping I'm seeing SATA Hard Disc Drive Docking Stations in the +/- $40 range. Might something like this do the trick?

Note: If number 2 works I definitely wouldn't mind further experimenting with number 1 because I have a crap-ton of old fashioned cpu-based video games that I would love to show my son (by hooking it up to the TV).

Thanks to all who take the time to read this (regardless of whether or not you can provide guidance/advice/suggestions).

Regards.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Mate, I think I had exactly the same problem. This is the work around that I came up with and I'm going to have to paraphrase the process but you'll get the idea.

When you startup the computer you need to get to the recovery image option. What you're looking for is a small windows explorer window.

When you get there navigate to where you know your files are, select the files, right click copy.

Here's the important bit. You need to have an older 2.0 USB stick (I think) that has had the free space wiped, the last part is mucho importante.

Insert the USB stick, right click paste.

If you run into trouble let me know, I may have missed something so I'll have to set up my old lappy and walk you through it.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I would be curious to know what exactly happens when you start it up. Does it POST? Does it give access to bios? Any error messages?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
There are two ways Windows 10 installs. One 'upgrades' and keeps your files pretty much intact and the other clean wipes the system and installs fresh. If the latter happened there is really nothing to be done unless you have a system restore disk of some form from Dell.

If the first one happened you do have a chance with the external HDD, in which case just search in Amazon for "external HDD enclosure." You should get quite a few results at the top at only 20-30 bucks (just make sure you get a 3.5 inch version). There is the chance that even if the full install happened, and like you said it is now hanging, that it never erased your old stuff and you could recover so honestly I would recommend tying regardless.

As for the computer itself, exactly how nothing special was it, and how old is it? The 'nothing special' desktops out there right now will blow away most PCs only 2 or 3 years old and probably be cheaper to buy in the 3-400 range for a budget one then the cost to diagnose and repair your old one.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

What you're looking for is a small windows explorer window.

I don't recall ever getting that far. It's been a while but I seem to remember the computer being stuck in a boot-up "loop" that would go on and on and on forever.

I'll have to take it off the shelf tomorrow and turn in back on to be more precise.

I'll let you know how it goes.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I'm not sure what "POST" means....?

I remember eventually getting an error message/code but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

As I mentioned to myselfaswell, I'll turn it back on tomorrow and report back.

I appreciate the help.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CalibratedZeus

I had a similar (same?) computer in my jobsite trailer that had a similar (same?) issue. The IT guy that came out informed me that the files were still there and it was my choice to either wipe everything and start anew or restore things. I literally had EVERYTHING backed up so I told him he could wipe away.

To my recollection he "toggled" a few features in the bios-stuff... Us computer laymans call it bios-stuff but I'm not sure if that's the correct term.

To your point though.... the files are either still there or they are not. If it's a question of spending a few dollars to look and see it's a worthwhile gamble.

The desktop is about 3 or 4 years old. About a year ago I purchased the HP desktop that I'm using now (with the awful Windows 10 factory installed). I don't mind throwing the old one in the garbage but like I said.... IF I can salvage it.... I would have a good use for it.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I have seen many of the Windows 10 upgrades that have gone bad.

I would not neccesarily blame Windows (but the upgrade also seems to have gone ahead in some cases where people select the 'close' cross at the top right of the upgrade dialog, rather than saying "no" with the button and the system is programmed to assume a 'yes' answer as default).

Frequently the issues are due to malware or existing configurations conflicting with something new, however the majority of issues I have seen seem to relate to user profile corruption.

If you can't get access even to back up your files, try creating a brand new admin user and log on as that user. This seems to solve most of the initial Win 10 issues.

If you are happy to try a clean installation (without any previous baggage) for yourself, then ensure your backups are good and download and run the "Media Creation Tool". Run the tool and create a bootable install USB drive. During the install, delete all the partitions and re-format your system afresh, just in case there was some odd security or file system corruption.

Because Windows has already installed & activated on the hardware, it should activate automatically after you install when you connect to the net (the activation is stored in the cloud).

Then comes the process of restoring your files and reinstalling your other programs.

EDIT> I have just seen that your system is in a boot loop. In that case, you probably don't have an activated copy of Win 10, which complicates things now the free upgrades are supposedly over. There is, however, a way to get Win 10 that will allow you to activate it at no cost but I don't think that is going to help just now.

Don't loose heart, during the upgrade process the previous version of Windows gets archived and can be restored, even if the Win 10 install gets borked.. This may be preferable but first you have to get past the reboot loop (which sounds like corrupted files during the upgrade).

Have you tried a system restore or "Last Known Good" boot? I'd give them a go and see if you can restore bootability.

By the way, POST stands for Power On Self Test and it is that bit that the BIOS does before the graphical start-up (like where it counts through the installed RAM). Newer UEFI BIOS machines may not have a BIOS based POST but it is much the same functionally. It is program code that checks a few basic components before starting up the operating system.

edit on 27/2/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

The SATA is the way to go...done it twice in 10 or so years....saves your data off on another computer...easy to do....then wipe the the old one clean...and reinstall whatever..

*Forget $$$ for it. Get the chord and a 1T External to store and do it yourself....

Good luck!

MS

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Ok, it's a bit more convoluted than I originally suggested, but there you go.

Launch Startup Repair.

Do not send information

Select: View Advanced Options for system recovery and support

Next

Select Correct User Name and Password for the computer, ok.

Select System Image Recovery

"Windows Cannot find a system image on the computer" CANCEL

Select an image, NEXT

Advanced

Install Driver

Insert the USB stick that has had everything deleted and free space wiped.

Navigate to where you files are

Select files, right click copy

Navigate to USB drive

Right click, paste.

edit on 27 2 2017 by myselfaswell because: whateva

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Simple answer , check your start (boot) options in the UEFI (BIOS)
Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one
Windows 10 most likely did not "kill" anything . Sometimes it boils down to the "human interface"

edit on 2/27/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: JinMI

I'm not sure what "POST" means....?

I remember eventually getting an error message/code but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

As I mentioned to myselfaswell, I'll turn it back on tomorrow and report back.

I appreciate the help.

POST stands for Power On Self Test. It is the very first thing a computer does when you hit the power button. If the computer passes its POST, it then checks the BIOS (basic input output system) for specifications of hardware. Then it hands off the the Operating System. (OS(Windows))

That is why I ask what makes you what is going on and if those operations are passing and what, if any, error messages you might be receiving.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
UEFI is the DEVIL!!! It is SATAN himself and Big Brother reincarnated into one!

It is the end-game for MS! "WE, not you, are in control of your computer!! And, DON'T you ever forget it!!"

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You could try replacing the motherboard battery.
also this might help..

Important Update:

Microsoft has released updated fix for this Windows 10 boot loop issue. You can get it fixed via Windows Update. Open Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select “Check for updates”.  An additional update will be downloaded and installed to your Windows 10 computer to fix the endless reboot loop.

www.drivethelife.com...
edit on 27-2-2017 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2017 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I forgot to mention to let the computer cycle through past the blue screen of death until it comes up with the Launch Startup Repair option, if it's the same problem.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Just posting here so it shows up on the feed. After my recent run in with a somewhat common Windows 8 & 10 boot loop and having got several old machines revived over the years I might be able to assist.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

SATA/IDE to USB adapters are pretty cheap. Plus, you'll have the tool from then on. Sometimes, a SATA will be so hinky that you'll have a hard time gaining access. Since your system has a little logic in it past POST (where system leaves BIOS boot and flips to operating system) I think it will be accessible. Grab the files and plop them on the HP.

Then, put that SATA back in the Dell, and make a Linux Box... Mint is my yummy fav. Smokes Windows....

Smokes it...

edit on 27-2-2017 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   
If the files are accessible why not use a usb stick with a live version of linux on it, access the files, copy them to either another usb stick or if your HP is on the same lan, map to it and copy them over?

pretty much more live linux distros these days are device aware, so network drivers, external storage, ntfs access, all without having to stuff around..

Ubuntu would be perfect for this..

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I don't remember for sure but I rolled my computer back to windows 8 after upgrading to 10 by accessing recovery from bios. You should have the original operating system on D drive. if you start a full recovery, it should format c and wipe out 10 and reinstall the original operating system. I later downloaded the 8.1 upgrade and installed it. It's past time for free 10 upgrade so that won't hit you again.
edit on 2017-02-28T05:49:55-06:0005amTue, 28 Feb 2017 05:49:55 -0600TuesdayAmerica/Chicago5528 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
lthough I can't prove it, I suspect my wife may have hit "OK" at some point because one day it had trouble starting up and when it did.... Windows 10 was there.

Sorry cant help you with your questions, but i do know that even though, I and several friends of mine, said no to the windows update, it just went ahead an planned an update anyways. I was lucky, it happen to my friends first, they just turn on their computer one day, and it upgraded to win 10, without them ever getting a chance to say no (AGAIN)
They where able to undo the installation after the hours long update, which also took hours.. I was lucky, and went searching for info, and found out that windows had also planned an update for me, which i was able to cancel

So it might not have been your wife, but you never know

They only fix for windows i have ever heard about (that actually works) is to NEVER install it on your pc
Learn to use Linux, it will make you happy in the end
edit on 28-2-2017 by IAMNOTYOU because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join