It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silly question of the day: Why haven't Aliens visited us if they exist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scorpiogurl
I don't think it's a matter of them not visiting us.
I think they've always been here and have never left
We're just not advanced enough to recognize things that are right in front of our faces.

That sounds something like Carl Sagan's "The Dragon in My Garage" essay.

It is so easy for someone to say "the aliens are right here right now, but there is no way to detect them", and counter every attempt I make to question the idea that they are here by simply reminding me that they cannot be detected.

"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle--but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick."

And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.

edit on 2017/2/27 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

That is highly likely due to the fact we know you cannot travel faster than light. Nothing can.

That's just Human ego talking.
When someone says "We" know such and such, I always mentally add "As far as we know". We are making new breakthroughs all the time. Who is to say that a civilization thousand or millions of years ahead of us, hasn't figured it out?

First airplane...

Roughly 100 years later....

Now...imagine what They might have.

Exactly and we can't reduce a universe that could have over 6 sextillion earthlike planets to the technology of our planet.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Well if aliens are monitoring us and they saw the movie, The Day the Earth Stood Still.

I seriously doubt that they would want to risk coming here.

Klatu got shot after he landed.

Heck we kill our own on a daily basis. Why would any alien want to come?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

originally posted by: DAVID64

That is highly likely due to the fact we know you cannot travel faster than light. Nothing can.

That's just Human ego talking.
When someone says "We" know such and such, I always mentally add "As far as we know". We are making new breakthroughs all the time. Who is to say that a civilization thousand or millions of years ahead of us, hasn't figured it out?

First airplane...

Roughly 100 years later....

Now...imagine what They might have.

Exactly and we can't reduce a universe that could have over 6 sextillion earthlike planets to the technology of our planet.

It might be more of a question of physics than it is a question of technology.

Granted, there are a few hypotheses out there for ways to get around the alleged Light-speed-limit, but nothing has been proven, and the end results of working through those hypotheses may end up telling us the FTL is not physically possible -- no matter your level of technology.

Edit to Add: Or maybe it is possible with extreme technology, but so rare that the nearest FTL space-faring society is too far from us to notice us.

edit on 2017/2/27 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

So we had a plane, 100 years later we have a plane that goes a bit faster and thats your argument?

Ok.....

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
We will one day print lifeforms.

Craig Venter Imagines a World with Printable Life Forms

Craig Venter imagines a future where you can download software, print a vaccine, inject it, and presto! Contagion averted.

“It’s a 3-D printer for DNA, a 3-D printer for life,” Venter said here today at the inaugural Wired Health Conference in New York City.

Venter is also experimenting with synthetic life, taking DNA from one type of cell, injecting it into another, and letting that “genetic software” reprogram its host. What that means in the context of DNA desktop manufacturing isn’t clear either, especially when it comes to questions of privacy.

Venter isn’t concerned. “Privacy with medical information is a fallacy,” Venter said. “If everyone’s information is out there, it’s part of the collective.”

He joked that he’s been beaming his genome into space for years, and perhaps the real fear is that an army of genetically engineered Craig Venters would come back to take over the planet.

www.wired.com...

Again I ask:

If they're not visiting us with U.F.O.'s and probes like 2 of the 3 U.F.O.'s I have seen, then how will they visit us?

When I hear people say U.F.O.'s aren't evidence of extraterrestrial visitation, I have to ask, how would they visit us if not through probes and engineered lifeforms?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If alien offspring is born on Earth, are they still alien?

The beings you discuss are already here. They don't need to visit.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What makes you think they haven't gotten here already and are still here?

Maybe that's why things never seem to work out as they should and humanity isn't evolving passed issues we should of been passed already?

Lot's of step backwards we have as we take steps forward, would be the perfect slight of hand for a group wanting to give an illusion of progress.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Its not a silly question. The answer of course is because we are alone, but theres no fun in that!

I believe you are referring to Fermi's paradox:
en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
They have visited our planet a long time ago. At that time humans were quite primitive. So ETI's looked further on earth and they found another more advanced species (lets call them alpha-species) became friends told them all their secrets .
ETI's asked them to take care of the primitive folks without interfering with their culture. From time to time they helped the humans with their development masking themselves as Gods in far away regions.

Time went by the humans became very smart. Made a big bombs. The other spieces was very afraid and started to contact the government of the human civilization. Told them to never reveal their resistance. There would come a time (2012) when they would reveal themselves. However something went wrong and greedy humans tried to control the world. So it was decided by the alpha-species to dumb down the human population so that wouldn't be a treath for the ecosystem of Earth anymore. Time went by... but then a sudden change. A guy came in power that shouldn't be. Good for us humans not so good for the alpha-spieces. The alpha-spieces decided to change their agenda and might be reveal itself in the near future.

edit on 2272017 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

The human species has evolved in their image. We must learn to live in peace before we can be elevated into a higher level of consciousness...

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This question can be turned around as well. Why have we not visited any alien worlds yet? The answer to that is very likely the same answer to the OP question. It is plausible, that we are the first species to get this far without going extinct. Some species needs to be first to venture out into deep space.....right? Why not the human species?

In addition, an advanced civilization might be in a system that has multiple planets (like Trappist-1), which are already in contact with each other, and totally engulfed in that interaction with no need to search out beyond their own system.

Perhaps an advanced civilization simply has no interest in us, why would we be "special"? How many amoeba have you tried to communicate with lately?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Why haven't Aliens visited us if they exist?

Because we a are stupid and disgusting species.
( When were not killing each other by war, we use various products to create cancer or just mass slaughter by abortion and starvation. Now gender reassignment is the new population control. )

The better part of the Milky Way avoids us like the plague.
In short we are the " Kid " your mamma said never to play with and for good reason.

Buck

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

and they wouldn`t be wrong,

think of the moon as our backyard and all the junk we left there are the old rusted cars sitting on cinder blocks with the wheels missing.
all the space junk around our planet are the old washing machines and other broken appliances we just throw out in the yard and leave them there to rust. The ISS is just a couple of old rocking chairs on our porch that we sit on.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Seriously, that's your reply?
I guess there's absolutely no technological difference in the two, right?
I'm trying to show you that you can't judge "aliens: by our standards. We advanced quite a bit in just 100 years. Now, think of the technological capabilities of a race 100 years ahead of us. Or a milion.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
I think that life in our Galaxy is very common, that there is so much life that we become insignificant to other space traveling species.

They might have scouted our planet/solar system, but don't really care about us, because of our early stage technology wise and destructive behaviour.

Ezekiel had something to write about concerning visitors....( the holy bible)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Why haven't aliens visited us? Have you ever driven down a bad neighbourhood, seen what sort of horrible things go on there and thought 'nah I'll drive right past without stopping'

Well that's what aliens do we earth, they turn up, have a look and think 'nope we not stopping here'

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe

I never said I was basing it on our knowledge of technology. No aliens have ever visited earth. That is highly likely due to the fact we know you cannot travel faster than light. Nothing can.

If you think bending space will ever become a reality, for any civilisations, then I suggest you stop taking sci-go films so seriously.

Interesting idea, but there is a caveat to your exception: quantum entanglement...which works faster than light speed. So how to explain?

To the OP:

If, in fact, we have not been visited by extra-terrestrials it could be because we are not a peaceful species by nature; we are bellicose and belligerent. Maybe, if they exist, they want to wait until we pose no threat?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
Interesting idea, but there is a caveat to your exception: quantum entanglement...which works faster than light speed. So how to explain?

Except no information is theoretically exchanged which makes this example rather irrelevant.

edit on 27-2-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
why do we observe wild beasts from the safety...and why so often we dont show ourselves to animals we observe ?

So they don't eat us.

Are you saying we would eat the space aliens if they were coming here?

actually...eating comes after dismemberment. And I hope you were just trying to be funny here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join