It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slain SEAL’s dad wants answers: ‘Don’t hide behind my son’s death’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

The fact that Trump or someone else is laying blame to this attack on Obama proves yet again how incompetent of a leader he is.

A real leader would have read the past files on this and did his own homework and would have decided whether or not to go through with it based on his own intel and strategic information.

So your post just proved what a complete an utter failure he is.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
a reply to: Mictain

a reply to: Gryphon66

Read my post and try again guys.

So Trump's not responsible for a poorly planned raid because Obama chose not to advance a poorly planned raid?

/shrug ... okay.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Indigo5

No problem... Dont blame Trump for your adult sons decision to join the military and the special forces.

Exactly not only that the father was military himself and knew full well the risk of being a soldier.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
How many of you guys have ever been involved with mission planning ??
The suits only know what the uniforms tell them.
They advise of mission confidence and request a green light.

The deaths of military personnel have always been exploited for political gain.

Buck

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   
How many times did this father tell his son to "get out"?

Navy Seals are seldom first term service members.

Being a soldier (or Marine/squid) is a job very few are willing to accept. Being a Spec-Warfare soldier is a job even less men qualify for. Every mission has the potential to end fatally. Writing (or even worse telling) the family of slain soldiers is a heart rending task. Looking a father/son/wife/daughter in the eye and explaining why they died and you lived is more painful than actually fighting the battles.

As a son of a soldier, a combat veteran, and a father to a soldier - no this father does not "have a right" to second guess the mission plans, the intentions of the Officers in command, or the President.

This SEaL died doing his job. Fighting those designated as the enemy by his superiors. No unlawful orders were given or received. We conduct missions based on the intel we are given. Sometimes things "go pear shaped" and soldiers/sailors die. Parents and family "have a right" to know that they died on duty, conducting operations, and whether or not that death was combat related. They do not have a "right" to mission plans, mission specifics, and at times they do not even know where or how (depending on mission classification).

Did any President ever have to give mission specifics and detailed planning data to the family of soldiers killed in action? If not why are we wanting an exception here?

Trump is not the reason this man died. Living the life of a soldier is why this man died. Nothing but dishonor can be achieved by dragging this death through the media. A man that gave his life doing what he (probably) loved, will be reduced to nothing more than stage props and talking points.

But please, don't let this rant get in the way of weaponizing a soldiers sacrifices into an anti-Trump bludgeon.
edit on 27-2-2017 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I find it equally offensive that people here keep calling these operators 'victims'. They aren't. Not every mission goes according to plan, not everyone makes it back every time.

Even in the regular army people tend to idolize the SOF community. "Swoopty Dudes with Beards" and what not. But they are just people too and bad # happens. Plenty of operators died when I was flying them around in Afghanistan. Plenty were injured, many lost their careers because of those injuries.

There are a lot of armchair tacticians here that act like Captain Hindsight.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Are you okay with the disrespect being shown here for a dead American solider?

Are you okay with the disrespect being shown here for the family of a dead American soldier?

edit on 27-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Are you okay with the disrespect being shown here for the family of a dead American soldier?

What disrespect?

Maybe I'm getting tired but I didn't see any disrespect.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

It's a regular occurrence on ATS that soldiers are disrespected.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mictain
Are you pro or anti Trump or just reporting a story, I am just asking because I have made statements regarding using victims to further an agenda.

I think it is offensive to use a victim to push anti propaganda.

I find it desturbing that their political leanings determines your response , regardless of the facts contained in the post ....

edit on 2/27/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
I realize weak people have difficulty handling grief but somone should tell this guy he is dishonorong his dead son's service greatly.

It is likely due to leaks from Obama's left-behinds, particularly those Paki brothers in IT who tipped off the terrorists.

Wow. Just....wow.

Is there no low that you will not sink to to support Trump?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: Gryphon66

What disrespect?

Maybe I'm getting tired but I didn't see any disrespect.

Tired? Or is it just the blinders you have on that are shading your view?

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
I realize weak people have difficulty handling grief but somone should tell this guy he is dishonorong his dead son's service greatly.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Truth be told,if you sign up to be a soldier,good chances you'll be killed,especially special OPs,I'd be mad if my son was killed,but in war if you start pointing fingers,your arm will get tired

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   

It was a private transfer, as the family had requested. No media and no bystanders, except for some military dignitaries.

Owens’ father, Bill, had learned only a short time before the ceremony that Trump was coming. Owens was sitting with his wife, Marie, and other family members in the solemn, living room-like space where the loved ones of the fallen assemble before they are taken to the flight line.

“I’m sorry, I don’t want to see him,’’ Owens recalled telling the chaplain who informed him that Trump was on his way from Washington. “I told them I don’t want to meet the President.”

The family requested a private transfer and the Commander-in-Chief shows up with journalists. That's disrespectful.

The trip was not on Trump's public schedule. A small group of journalists traveled with Trump on the condition that the visit was not reported in advance.

ATS: Trump makes unnanounced trip to honor fallen Navy Seal

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Mictain

Do you think that how you feel about it, takes away from the mans candour regarding the matter of his sons death? Do you think your opinion of the piece takes away from the points the lost SEALs father makes about the legitimacy of the mission profile?

Do you also think that veteran special forces members, who come to accept that rather than protecting their nation, they were merely sent by bad people, to do bad things, largely to innocent people, are also invalidated in their opinions because of their victimhood, or because they may suffer PTSD? Do you discount their assessments of these things on the basis of their suffering, or do you take note of them?

I am just curious as to how you look at these things, whether you discount their validity because they are being somehow used by the media, or whether you accept the validity of their points, but... hand wave them away because they use the media to get that point across.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

How do you know anything about the planning that went into this mission? Are you read in on DEVGRU mission plans?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I almost feel sorry for Trump. His Benghazi hour came real soon in his presidency. He's establishment politician now.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
a reply to: buster2010
Vox Yemen raid

However, the article says, “Mr. Obama did not act because the Pentagon wanted to launch the attack on a moonless night and the next one would come after his term had ended.”

Stunning that our current administration is so petty as to not even have the integrity to take responsibility in these scenarios..

No...Trump can't assign the blame to Pres. Obama for his own bad decisions.

Colin Kahl, who was a security official in the Obama White House, called Spicer’s story “B.S.”

“I was there. … No specific raid was discussed. … The ‘moonless night’ thing is B.S.,” he told the Wall Street Journal, adding that the White House never signed off on that specific mission.

“Obama … believed this represented a significant escalation of U.S. involvement in Yemen, and therefore … thought the next administration should take a careful look and run a careful process,” he told the WSJ.

www.theblaze.com...

THe above is in keeping with what the father said..

For two years prior, there were no boots on the ground in Yemen — everything was missiles and drones — because there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?’’

Lastly...Trump spent a year at every Rally shouting about how Horrible Pres. Obama's decisions have been in fighting terrorism. How he was the worst leader ever...etc etc...

So to see Trump employ the childs lie and excuse of...Well..President Obama approved it before we got here???

That does not make sense given what Trump has said about Pres. Obama's decision making around combating terrorism.

That was also a lie...the Moonless night BS..

That also is a child's answer when things go wrong...Blame it on somebody else and lie.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
excuse me but if i recall correctly, the seal team made the decision to continue the mission after they were told that it had been comprised. and again if i recall correctly the team on the ground has operational discretion on whether to continue a mission or not when they discover new intelligence about the situation. i may be mistaken but i pretty sure about that.

if that's the case, then it's not trumps fault, their commanders or anyone's but the seal team.

ETA: although this isn't the article i was thinking of, the one i remember had a bit more in it. it does appear they knew the mission was comprised.

In this case, the assault force of several dozen commandos, which also included elite soldiers from the United Arab Emirates, was jinxed from the start. Qaeda fighters were somehow tipped off to the stealthy advance toward the village — perhaps by the whine of American drones that local tribal leaders said were flying lower and louder than usual.

Through a communications intercept, the commandos knew that the mission had been somehow compromised, but pressed on toward their target roughly five miles from where they had been flown into the area. “They kind of knew they were screwed from the beginning,” one former SEAL Team 6 official said.
Raid in Yemen: Risky From the Start and Costly in the End

edit on 27-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I find it equally offensive that people here keep calling these operators 'victims'. They aren't. Not every mission goes according to plan, not everyone makes it back every time.

They signed on for this. I understand what you're saying

What I find offensive (often enough, and actually, far too often) is how I, as a civilian - am never supposed to second guess or question our politicians or our military

One might assume that a pacifist (like me) is incapable of understanding how tricky all of this gets. Tricky, tricky

I should have no real say in how our dedicated young men and women in the military are treated, used - lives explained away...

This story stinks - and it's not just me (idiot civilian that I am) that thinks so

edit on 2/27/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join