It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any real Astronomers on there? I have some questions.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Hello community.
I need to know, are there any stars exactly 460 lights years from earth? Or specifically 456 light years from earth? How many an in what regions of the sky I may observe them.
Also a side question, what is the furthest planet discovered from earth to date?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: kiliker30

There is a binary star system which is 460 light years from Earth named T Tauri...

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Interesting...are they the only visible objects at that exact distance from earth?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   

There may be others at 460 light years I am unaware of...
I do believe there was an exoplanet discovered at exactly 456 light years away but cant say for sure so didnt mention it before...

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

apparently, early last year a gas giant exo-planet was discover some 13000 light years towards the center of the galaxy.

Another oddity of it is its discovery well away from where the majority of the exo-planets have been discovered.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Melis said his team's work resolves a decades-long controversy concerning just how far away the Pleiades are. Conventional parallax pegged the distance at 133.5 parsecs, or 435 light-years, while Europe's Hipparcos satellite returned a result of 120.2 parsecs (392 light-years).

www.space.com...

Looks like it depends on what method is used to measure the distances. The Pleiades are certainly visible, used to be used as an ancient eye exam.
Can I ask why you picked the distance you did?

edit on 26-2-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Could you find out if this 456 exo planet exists for sure?
I just need to know if it does infact exist, but if you could get it's given name I could research it myself. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That is interesting, what do you think they were looking for that far out? I mean I understand to scan the deep inside portion just to take a peek, but doesn't it take some time on a specific region to pin point a planet passing a star?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Great Info, I am interested in knowing if I left earth at light speed and stopped at 456 light years in any direction from earth being the center, what would be the closest objects to me, if any. And if any. Are there known discovered planets in close approximation.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Astronomers confirm the discovery of a still-forming exoplanet 450 light years away.
www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   

I prefer my stars to be 473 light years away,but sometimes I switch it up and go for 436 light years away.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I doubt they were looking for anything in particular. Like you or I do when we're walking on a nature trail or the like, just looking to look. To see what ever is there to be seen, and they found something.

I am curious about your specifics here. Just such and such a distance, and the like. Any particular reason?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Somewhere in the constellation Monoceros i believe one of the stars to be at 456 light years...
But most of the information I am finding refers to the hell planet in the system at around 486 light years named corot-7b...

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Please DO explain.

Why are you so curious about this precise distance?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Tagged for later

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
There are uncertainties when guessing the distances to stars, sometimes + or - 30 light years, so it's a bit difficult to say definitely.

Polaris (aka the North Star) is at approximately 430 light years from us. Another star visible to the naked eye, Kappa Scorpii, is at approximately 460 or 480 light years away. Epsilon Canis Majoris might be at around 460 ly, although it's probably closer.

You can find the list of the brightest stars here and sort them by distance.

And of course there could be some very faint and relatively unknown stars at that distance.
edit on 26-2-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

We've had a recent spike in UFO sightings on earth, specifically the united states, Within the passed 10 years.
456 years ago the event at Nuremberg Germany happened.
I was trying to see if it is likely there is a planet in that distance range from earth that could hold life.
If they left and came back their distance would be in the 2-3 hundred range(which I don't think is the case)...or if the first never left and sent others here it would be the full distance of 4-5 hundred light years.
Does anyone remember where the WOW signal originated from? Was it anywhere near this planet in the link?
I understand my reason for the information isn't scientific at all, but the possibility is curious at least.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
There's a different looking cluster all spread out like under the Big Dipper....with my night vision I see a lot of sparks and shooting stars......Gen3 vision sees strange happenings on the increase.....idk

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If an event happened here on Earth 460 years ago, why are you asking about stars that are at 460 ly away from us? I don't see any possible connection.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

The connection is the rise in UFO sightings since then.
If the event happens again in the next few years, it is possible these craft are coming from one of those planets, assuming they travel using light speed and not worm holes.
Really they could be from anywhere. But to our current knowledge light speed travel is more probable then worm holes.
I know the possibilities are very slim.
But there IS a possibility. And I just wanted to see if we discovered habitable zone planets. There is a few of them around that distance, if they are just arriving again since 1561, it could mean they are from that distance in space from us.
I'm curious too if that blip the Russians heard last year was from one of those areas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join