It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I pursue my passion in drawing or am I wasting my time?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 5letters

I like what I saw. Now, whether you can make a living producing art only time and sweat can tell. Do not give up your passion for any reason. I did when I was a teenager/young man. I have since reconciled my decision and gone on with my life. There was a period of years I bitterly regretted it.

My advice is this: pursue your passion AND stay current with new devopments in engineering. Worst case scenario you'll have the skill, knowledge and piece of paper to maintain a career and you'll have a hobby.

As an idea, and I believe you can pull it off judging by your examples, you can fashion wood products for doll houses and other types of miniatures like that. Ebay the products in the begining. There is a market for that kind of thing. Good luck!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

My advice is to do both, at least for a while, until you find out if there is enough market for your talent to earn a living at it. The old saying goes,NEVER PUT ALL YOUR EGGS INTO ONE BASKET is wise advice.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I just see lots of squiggly little lines on things that I wouldn't buy
Engineer, that sounds like an expensive course to take, better do a bit of engineering while learning to be an artist.
Whatever makes you happy

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
the questions seems to be trap somehow.
being an artist isn't anything worse or lower than being an engineer. either way working well is always better than working hard and happiness doesn't need a coin.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Truth is about artsy professions is that it's feast or famine. Unless you make a masterpiece, which you may very well be capable of, there's not a whole lot of financial profit in it.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

We go every week in summer and see the same vendors with the same items over and over and looking at us all walking by and never buying anything... and recognizing us.

Cheap trinkets and some very cool art and original items all priced sky high... because every weekend they are fairs, city fests, flea markets that 90% of the folks go to look at stuff.. Paintings, metal sculptures... You name it.

But just sell a few small items and pay for your Booth space with your lunch and gas... and not worth just watching the lookers...

If anything.. do both engineering and sell art on the weekends.. Hopefully...

Good luck

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Any reason that you can't do both? Work on your art in your spare time, and if you manage to find a way to earn a living with it, then great. If not, you can still do some art, even sell some, and still have a career to cover the bills. I would guess that you could sell your work online easily enough, and even take custom orders, perhaps. Local craft fairs can be useful, too.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You can be successful at anything if you honestly put 100% effort into it, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. That 100% is too hard for most people though.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Lol!!!! Im actually an engineer, AND a tattoo artist. I started pursuing both at the same time and engineering is what will pay my bills. I love art, so i work part time as a tattoo artist as well.
Being honest, the art world is hard to breakthrough, but it comes down to what makes YOU happy. "Love what you do and never work a day in your life".
I love both of my jobs. With engineering, my art backround helps a lot. With my artwork, engineering helps a lot.
If youre looking to make a career out of art, i would suggest commercial graphic design. If you combine the art and engineering though, theres tons of high paying dream jobs out there. Such as automobile/motorcycle design.
My honest opinion is to keep doing both together, and your path will reveal itself. Dont try to force it, dont choose either. Let your work choose for you.
Best of luck my friend!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Looks good to me so I'd sure suggest you press on, if you enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

My two (or three) cents.....

1) Pursue the engineering career. Do it without hesitation and without a second though. Being a starving-artist (or starving anything) is fun and exciting in your early twenties but I assure you.... being broke as you get older is not only NOT adventurous... it is completely exhausting. (For the moment, I'll leave out all the things about settling down and putting roots down and all that). Also, the longer the time span between when you earn your degree (and license if you pursue one) and the time you try to use it decreases the value of that degree exponentially.

2) Your art seems fine. There is skill there. To be completely candid, I'm not really an artsy-fartsy person so take my opinion of art with an ample helping of salt. Your pieces are nice but nothing I would particularly spend considerable money on. It reminds me a lot of the 'art' some of my high school friends used to make after "partaking." They would zone out and concentrate and... well there ya go.

3) Nothing in the world can (or should) stop you from continuing to produce your art while holding down a more conventional job and pursuing a more conventional career. You can still keep at it and ya never know.... something could happen from that.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
You can be successful at anything if you honestly put 100% effort into it, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. That 100% is too hard for most people though.

Well, to a point! People do have some limitations, in talent or physical ability, but effort really does make a difference. For something like art, it's so subjective, there isn't any reason a person can't do alright, if they try.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Thank you ALL FOR your responses. I really like them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join