It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The health risk of having a gun in the home

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
I've got 7 guns.

They're bad for my health?

Just wood and metal. Some gun oil.

I've not broken out with some rash. I don't recall getting sick at all after handling any of the guns, and I've broken them down, cleaned them, repaired them.

No one else in my house has suffered any sickness that I can think of with them.

Of course all my children are grown except my youngest son, and when he was little the guns were kept locked up and out of reach, but when he was old enough to learn, he was trained by me and a range master about gun safety and how to use each gun properly and safely. In fact, several of the guns belong to him.

Can't recall him getting sick either.

Maybe what's really hurting people is irresponsibility, stupidity and carelessness?

Just a guess.

Can't see it being the guns though. Pretty sure they've not been doing anything on their own.

You sir, are a responsible gun owner. I wish more were. My step son is as well, and I have no issues with the second, other than mental health, I wish more were actually responsible.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
There's an easy solution here: if you don't want one, don't buy one. By the same token, that's not your decision to make for anyone else, and if others are willing to accept the responsibility that comes with firearms ownership, that's their right, too.

I'm from the rural south. I've been around firearms my entire life. I received my first 22 rifle as a gift from my parents when I was 7 or 8 and was hunting with a shotgun only a couple years later. Most of my friends and family had similar experiences. As shocking as it may seem, we all survived. Yes, firearms are obviously dangerous, especially if you're an idiot, but as it turns out, basic firearms safety really isn't that difficult a concept the average person to grasp.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

It was not the gun that shot the kid, it was the father

You completely missed the point. If the father didn't have guns then the kid would probably still be alive. He probably would have hit him which is still bad, but he wouldn't be dead.

So much for pro-life, it's a scam like I always say.

If the kid didn't have a father, he might still be alive, too. There are lots of different ways to look at that situation.

But at what point do you take a step back and understand that you don't really know that for sure? For all you know, if the gun wasn't there, the father might have picked up a crowbar and brained his son too.

But in the end, you need to understand that the murderous anger was from the father, not the gun.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

It's such a weird twist of ironic fate that the unsafe gun debate comes from those who have no exposure to guns. And the ones who tout for gun ownership have, in stereotypical fashion, been raised around or have been exposed to guns in operation.

I keep no guns and had a brother visiting, who keeps a shotgun. Crazy at is seems, someone tried my back door late at night while the shotgun was nearby. I 1st thought it was an animal... I opened the door unprotected. The person stepped back a few paces but remained stand offish. My brother came out with the shotgun, cocked a round into the chamber, and off ran the perp like a deer from the mere sound of the gun. I was quite thankful for my brother's visit you could say.

The debate does swing both ways, yes. But I feel all should honor the freedom of choice on these matters. Because the realities are that guns will never be gone, which yields regulation to be for the non criminals only.

I am in the process of adding guns to my possession since the intrusion ordeal. I grew up around them my whole life, was taught to een make my own ammo. A chance of injury from misuse of a gun around me is in no way more likely then a car wreck. I am non stop distancing myself from people driving missle's while on twitter at the same time. My trigger finger is much more reliable than most twitter fingers!

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I am 52, grew up with guns in the house and have owned my own for decades. My kids were brought up around guns. I taught them to respect guns and never pick one up if an adult was not around. My guns were always locked up, except the one for home defense. The kids had no idea where it was, and even if they did, it was far out of reach.
I have never had an accident.... My kids have never had one. I don't know anyone who has had an accidental shooting and I have shot with and taught many people over the years.
Education and respect is the key. Not fear.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Really it's the cars that are the health risk.

Seriously! They are filled with fluids that can be quite toxic and poisonous to humans, animal and plant life!

They emit toxic fumes that can kill people, and apparently are even changing the environment.

That's bad.

They run people over, especially when they are protesting in the middle of the road. That's GOT to be bad for anyone's health.

Look at all the people that die in car accidents all around the world every single day. It's pretty bad.

Worse: people get drunk on alcohol (or other things) and then they try to use these things.

Damn. Cars are a horrible health hazard to everyone. Something should be done about that!

Buses and trains too......while we're at it: those damn power tools! Ever seen what a chainsaw can do to a person?

Wait! I have toxic cleaners in my house.....and prescription drugs in my house too! If kids were to get their hands on those (because, you know, apparently no one is responsible enough to make sure that they don't), we need to get rid of all those things!

Apparently we all need to have our freedoms taken away from us because some people are so scared of those freedoms and the "what if's" that could happen.

/sarcasm

Pro Tip: The world is not a safe place. Never has been. Never will be. Life is not a safe thing all the time. Never has been, never will be. Some people are smart and careful, some people are complete idiots. Some are very responsible, while others shouldn't even be trusted to breath on their own. And: Some people believe in their freedoms and rights, and some believe that rights should be taken away, so they feel "safer".

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I'll take my chances.

Guns. The education to go along with them, and discipline in letting children know that they are only touched when I, or another approved adult, is around.

Problem solved.

Go tell someone else how to live their lives now. You are not needed here in my home.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

You would be correct.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
''Health '' Risk ,the usual feminist paranoid ,brainless ,leftist crap .Health risk over and inanimate object ? ridiculous ,you have a draw full of ''loaded knives '' in your kitchen that dont need ammo or need to be reloaded ,its all about an IDIOT misusing them ,same as a motor vehicle ,anything ! people with this stupid mentality would be better off in an Asylum and a padded cell where there are no inanimate objects to ''Threaten'' them

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Gun worshipper?

Don't think I've ever bowed down and prayed to a gun...

No... I'm fairly certain that that has never happened. Admired workmanship? Certainly. Some gunsmiths I know are true artists. But worshiped? No.

2 + 2 = 4. Doesn't it? Or is that not math???

You don't like guns. Cool. More for me. I'll let you live your life, you let me live mine. We'll both be happy.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   

One phrase sums it up perfectly and always has - It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

I honestly think Confucius or Sun Tzu probably said said these words first except with "weapon" instead of "gun". These words perfectly define what it means to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Anyway, injuries/fatalities that occur in the home are not from the presence of a gun, but rather an improperly stored or mishandled gun. If a gun is stored and handled properly, there is a near 0% chance of accidental injury or fatality. That being the case, I understand that my odds of defending me and my family against one or more armed intruders are extremely greater with a shotgun in my hands instead of a knife or baseball bat.

If it makes you feel safer, then by all means, don't keep a gun in your house. There's a very good chance you will never need one. Though, should that unlikely event occur at some point where you are near defenseless against an intruder, you are going to be #ting your pants wishing to god you had decided to err on the safe side and keep a gun in your house.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

For optimal safety, point the barrel of the gun away from your body and extremities. That should counteract all those negative side effects you've been worrying about.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Oh look CB is cobbling together a bunch of left wing anti-gun rhetoric along with abortion arguments, and unsubstantiated "statistics" to lecture everyone else on how they should live.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Oh look CB is cobbling together a bunch of left wing anti-gun rhetoric along with abortion arguments, and unsubstantiated "statistics" to lecture everyone else on how they should live.

So we are clear. Which item in your pic is the assault weapon???

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

That would be me.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

That would be me.

But...but..BUT!!!!

Ok, I got nothin.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   

And therein lies the problem..you can't fix stupid.
Anyway it's the price you pay.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Truth.

It's the person behind the tool that makes it dangerous.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Sorry, but I'm a big fan of using the proper tool for the job. That's why I have several guns. You want to reupholster a chair? You need a staple gun. Got to stop those leaks around the window? You need a caulk gun. Try to get grease into a zerk fitting without a grease gun. And, trust me, a bic lighter and your fingers aren't the best tools for using hot glue sticks.

Worst of all is trying to insert bullets into someone manually. It takes a lot of finger strength, patience, and a target willing to sit still for it.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

What has common sense got to do with this thread??

Rhetorical nonsense, like all too many anti-2nd amendment threads ultimately turn out to be.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join