It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students, staff celebrate after school drops Michelle O lunch rules

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

The food can flow freely again. The Michelle Obama food regime is gone!

HARRISON CITY, Pa. – Lunch is a drastically different experience now that Penn-Trafford High School is no longer bound by federal food regulations.

District officials removed the high school from the National School Lunch Program after years of struggling to comply with federal regulations that drove down student lunch participation and cafeteria revenues, the Tribune-Review reports.
eagnews.org...

Freedom from the restrictions means food the staff and kids will eat. And as a bonus people are buying the food, the sale are up over 50,000 dollars this year over last.

The freedom from the strict restrictions on calories, fat, sugar, salt and other elements, came at the expense of federal funding to help cover free- and reduced-priced lunches for some students, but district business manager Brett Lago said the decision is already paying off in year one.

“We’ve lost, to date, about $40,000 worth of reimbursement, but our sales are up about $50,000 over last year,” he said. “Participation has gone from about 25 percent to 45 percent, and we’re still providing free lunches to all those students who would have been eligible under the school lunch program.”

And the kids like to be able to have more choices when choosing lunch. And the garbage cans are not full of food no one eats.

“You get to choose what you want instead of being sort of funneled in and only having one choice,” junior Chase Zavarella said. “I think everyone is happier with the new selection.”

Senior Brianna Lander pointed to the cafeteria’s garbage cans as evidence that the new system is working better than the federal rules, which require all students to take a fruit or vegetable whether they wanted it or not.

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Make Merica fat again!

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I don't think we ever got skinny hahaha

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010

I don't think we ever got skinny hahaha

Ok sorry...

Make Merica fat(er) again!

edit on 20-2-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Good for the kids.
Now get the rest of the Federal Government completely out of the schools.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This is great news for the kids. Now get some soda vending machines in the hallways, next to the insulin vending machines.
We need to deregulate extra curricular activities too. Damn liberals!

edit on 20-2-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

God I hope Michelle Obama doesn't run for President...

that'd be almost as bad as Hillary running again.

Michelle is just another hypocrite with nothing to offer the public. She proudly mentioned her family eats all organic foods, yet the Obama admin. was cozily in bed with Monsanto and big corporate FrankenFoods orgs.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

yea there ya go!

sadly there are alot of people out there lazy enough to become that big and pathetic... sad

edit on 2/20/2017 by ware2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Surprise surprise, kids celebrate when they can start munching doritos and drinking cola.

Let us not forget kids are stupid and it's our job as adults to raise them right, not indulge their every whim. What a win for conservatives!

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Those facts are inconvenient.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: WhateverYouSay

No, the kids were not eating the things that Obama wanted them to. Just because she said to do it, does not mean it is done.

The food needs to be healthy and be palatable.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If this is the case then schools now have the funds to employee a proper chief to come up with a proper diet plan that gives the students everything they need regarding nutrition and not just prepacked #e that was being handed out by Michelle and her "legacy"...

The photos of the Obama meals where f#cking hideous,

ADDED:: Now hear me out.

The easy solution to the health and obesity crisis that has gripped the nations children maybe to look at what is offered for dinner in Asia, can you believe that girls are still able to see their feet when they are 21 and boys are not lardy slobs,.. It is fairly obvious that the system in the west is broken yet we are still told to eat lots of red meat and dairy and yet still the waist line increases and we have a generation that may well not out live their parents, how sad is that...

Coming up with a meal option that is still tasty and not dripping in cheese and pig fat really is not that hard but then what price can you put on children's health, sadly in the US it does not look like much...

RA
edit on 20-2-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2017 by slider1982 because: sp and added

edit on 20-2-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
When I was in school, it was so nasty we looked forward to plastic flavored pizza day.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I came to the thread to check the source and find the obvious "Yea but...". As In now the kids are all gonna get fat....

The "Yea but" applies to us liberals set to defend this and Michelle. Sometimes, people are wrong. And in this one solitary case, it does seem like it could be indicative of the program's unforeseen consequences nationwide. For me .. this line made me go " Oh sht, well that wasnt even working in the first place"

“The trash cans were always full, sometimes overflowing,” Lander said. “You don’t see that now. People would go up to the snack line and get random junk food, where now you can get an actual meal and eat it.”
- From the OP's source.

So, really, all the kids were doing was loading up the trays with the free or discounted "approved food" and then tossing in the garbage. Eating what they could from the junk food being sold regardless as extras. Logically, we liberals have to stop and think here. The kids out smarted the system, rather simply. Its pointless. Let them serve whatever they want at this point. Maybe kids will go back to eating an actual meal instead of a bag of Doritos and a couple of cupcakes.

So TLDR: Converted liberal on this issue. Let them eat whatever the hell they want.
edit on 20-2-2017 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I welcome the news.

I grew up in a small "community" so burgers were a treat for us so I'd be damned if the kids are denied the chance to clog their arteries because humanity will eradicate itself in the next 100 years at worst.

Eat, Drink, Smoke, and be happy. The smart members will know we are living on borrowed time and nothing besides divine intervention will save our civilization, and we know how much these so called "gods" care about us.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: WhateverYouSay
The food needs to be healthy and be palatable.

I agree, but when you read

"Senior Brianna Lander pointed to the cafeteria’s garbage cans as evidence that the new system is working better than the federal rules, which require all students to take a fruit or vegetable whether they wanted it or not. "

That means poor eating habits are so ingrained in our society including by their parents that it's no wonder we're one of the fattest nations on the planet. Relaxing school lunch regulations as a "win" just because it didn't succeed perfectly is just throwing your hands up in the air and becoming apathetic and resigning yourself to failure.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Don't you understand that the GOVERNMENT knows what is good for you, good for your kids, and good for America? Not only that, if you do not agree, the GOVERNMENT gets to tell you what to do, what to eat, and how to live your life. The reason is that you are TOO STUPID to know any better so by telling you what to do the GOVERNMENT is doing you a favor. But, of course, you're too stupid to realize that so all you do is complain. So you must be conservative.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhateverYouSay
Surprise surprise, kids celebrate when they can start munching doritos and drinking cola.

Let us not forget kids are stupid and it's our job as adults to raise them right, not indulge their every whim. What a win for conservatives!

Our job as adults ...

Not the government's job.

I'm glad you agree with us conservatives.

edit on 20-2-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The food can flow freely again. The Michelle Obama food regime is gone!

HARRISON CITY, Pa. – Lunch is a drastically different experience now that Penn-Trafford High School is no longer bound by federal food regulations.

District officials removed the high school from the National School Lunch Program after years of struggling to comply with federal regulations that drove down student lunch participation and cafeteria revenues, the Tribune-Review reports.
eagnews.org...

Freedom from the restrictions means food the staff and kids will eat. And as a bonus people are buying the food, the sale are up over 50,000 dollars this year over last.

The freedom from the strict restrictions on calories, fat, sugar, salt and other elements, came at the expense of federal funding to help cover free- and reduced-priced lunches for some students, but district business manager Brett Lago said the decision is already paying off in year one.

“We’ve lost, to date, about $40,000 worth of reimbursement, but our sales are up about $50,000 over last year,” he said. “Participation has gone from about 25 percent to 45 percent, and we’re still providing free lunches to all those students who would have been eligible under the school lunch program.”

And the kids like to be able to have more choices when choosing lunch. And the garbage cans are not full of food no one eats.

“You get to choose what you want instead of being sort of funneled in and only having one choice,” junior Chase Zavarella said. “I think everyone is happier with the new selection.”

Senior Brianna Lander pointed to the cafeteria’s garbage cans as evidence that the new system is working better than the federal rules, which require all students to take a fruit or vegetable whether they wanted it or not.
Oh great, they can go back to special interest lobbied "ketchup is a vegetable," pizza, hot dogs, soda, etc. I can tell you that as a former teacher that at the beginning of the Obama presidency school lunches were abysmal and unhealthy.
edit on 20-2-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

School lunches have always been that way. Parents who cared always packed their kids a lunch.

It's a funny thing though, this obesity epidemic is a more recent phenomena. Maybe if the schools really cared, they'd go back to active, free play recesses and active gym classes for all?

And perhaps the overall culture needs to be changed instead of forcing diet rules on every kid that presupposes the kid is obese to start with and needs a drastic weight loss and aims for that amount of caloric intake.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join