It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical Centrism is the only REAL hope this country has.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Radical Centrism

Pragmatic

Looking at the current political state of affairs, it's apparent we have reached a precipice that can only lead to one outcome. I have been coming here on a regular basis, and ATS has turned into a microscopic example of the macroscope.

Each day, all I see is the right AND left pushing their agendas. There isn't any talking to, compromising with or reasoning with anything. There's only one thing any of you are going to understand and it's unfortunate because when it comes to pass, it's not going to be fun for anyone.

Given the fact things are the way they are, it's apparent that the extreme center is the only hope this country has. The problem is a problem of passion. Most centrists don't seem to be as passionate as those on the left and right are. This leads to the problem of being overlooked and ignored.

With forty two percent of the population no longer being represented by the left or right, it would seem that this wouldn't be the case. However, it assuredly is.

If centrists don't become passionate about developing common sense policies and using leverage to drive the right AND left towards the center, this country is done. It's really that simple.
edit on 20-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

I think the problem is the middle doesn't have an identity or a leader. They are too embarrassed to claim a side so they silently observe from the middle.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Lol... That's what rightists and leftists always think. "Oh, you have to be right or left. There's no such thing as this Mish mash." Explain to me where this thought process arises because I frankly don't understand it at all. Apparently, it makes "sense" to you because you're essentially advocating it. Maybe you can explain from where it arises. Seems pretty irrational to me. Make that thought process rational.
edit on 20-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
By many accounts, Obama is considered a moderate and look what people think of his results.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

How was he centrist? You see, that's like Republicans and Democrats saying they're "Independent" yet they vote for one of the two major political parties every cycle. That's not an Independent. It's like they don't know what it actually means.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I said that Obama was a moderate. That means even as a Democrat he still hold some right leaning views and was willing to compromise some far right ideology for right wing ideology. Politics is more than your political party by the way.

If you are looking for a President that askews the traditional two parties and runs as independent, fat chance. They only serve as political spoilers in an election.
edit on 20-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I don't understand it either, but I recognize it, it's just the reality of it. I'm not sure what you think I'm advocating? Just pointing out my observations.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Politics is more than your political party by the way.
Is it? Doesn't seem that way given what's going on in this country currently. You see, rightists and leftists SPEAK these niceties, but their actions and rhetoric certainly do not reflect it.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
You may be right about this OP. Maybe the normal people should take action to bring the radical left and right in line. It is only the really mouthy ones that we need to deal with harshly. They are nuts. Now how come we do not have insane assylums for these kind of people anymore, lock them up for a year or two and feed them nothing but oatmeal and hotdogs.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

How about just following the Constitution?

Simple as that!

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

"Fat chance"? Then there will assuredly be civil war because the right and left's demand that everything be 100% their way isn't going to fly.Pretty simple really.
edit on 20-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: Added comment

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Not with all of the hyper-tribalism + American Imperialism. Partisanship has had people from "both" sides outright excuse war criminality the past decade. Groupthink fueled by the Two Party + MSM System (all of which is bought and paid for by the Corporatocracy) social engineers has morphed our people into mobs of angry psychopaths.
edit on 20-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth

"Fat chance"? Then there will assuredly be civil war because the right and left's demand that everything be 100% their way isn't going to fly.Pretty simple really.

I have a little more hope for our Constitution and the institutions we've set up to protect it than you do apparently.
edit on 20-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

You know, truthfully, the "center" or "centrist" or "pragmatic" position is, simply, difficult. Its hard to be a centrist. Its a lot of work. It doesnt come easy and its even more difficult to articulate.

In today's political climate, the center isn't popular because it eschews identity politics in favor of close scrutiny of factual based analysis. I suspect many Trump supporters believe they are centrists when in fact, when you scratch the surface, you find they are largely "know-nots". From the standpoint of understanding macro-economics, Trump supporters know near nothing about the economic problems the US faces. Worse, when confronted with the facts, they default to denial.

As to economics and practical policy issues, Leftists are no better than Trump supporters. They see everything, every issue, through the lense of race and to some extent class divisions and seem to believe that every issue would be resolved if the social justice issues were addressed. The entirely ignore economic realities in favor of "feelings" based analysis.

As things stand today in the US, the center is near moribund. Ignored by the political class intent on self-aggrandisement, the center simply has no voice, no platform and no audience but themselves. And the centrists I talk to know this and it largely explains their lack of social and political engagement. As I believe it was TrueBrit pointed out, nothing will change until there's a major reset and my guess is the major reset will take the form of economic collapse.

And its coming.......you can almost smell its approach from the distant horizon.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth

I have a little more hope for our Constitution and the institutions we've set up to protect it than you do apparently.
I have minimal hope. I suppose that's the point of the thread. Perhaps I should just move to Iceland where more of the form of government I am looking for has been instituted. I don't see the left or right ever allowing any such thing happen here.
It's unfortunate because by not doing so, this country has essentially sealed it's own coffin.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The problem is we have a socially democratic system. Both parties are social democrats. One is to the right or left of the other in terms of positioning. The centre is a shifting place. so calling for a radical centrist role is not going to change anything when he goal posts are so flexible.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The courts holding up Trump's immigration EO like they have tells me that these checks are working just fine. We just can't abandon them during this critical time period. You want to run away, but I see now as a time more than ever to become involved to ensure the system continues to work as it should.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Partisan ideologues in a anti-partisan thread. Good times!

link   

originally posted by: TonyS

As things stand today in the US, the center is near moribund. Ignored by the political class intent on self-aggrandisement, the center simply has no voice, no platform and no audience but themselves. And the centrists I talk to know this and it largely explains their lack of social and political engagement. As I believe it was TrueBrit pointed out, nothing will change until there's a major reset and my guess is the major reset will take the form of economic collapse.

Oh, that's a given. It almost seems as though it's going to take a fire brand, almost "Hitlerish" figure, for it to dig out of the shadows of the left/right hegemony. It's an unfortunate conundrum that centrists find themselves in.
I know that's a terrible concept to even consider, but it's the political atmosphere that's arising.
edit on 20-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: Added comment

link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Lol... Yyeeeeaaaahhhh. I hear you loud and clear.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join