It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will U.S. Navy's "Freedom Of Navigation Operations" In China Sea Spark War?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The artificial islands that China built in the South China Sea are becoming more and more problematic. China insists they did this to prevent the U.S. from monopolizing international trade in the Indian and Pacific Ocean.

China is actively building artificial islands in the South China Sea, turning them into military and logistical bases. Beijing already has at least seven such bases, equipped with access channels, helipads, radar facilities, gun and missile emplacements, piers, military facilities and other objects of strategic importance. China’s government had started its land reclamation and construction efforts on the reefs in early 2014. The main reason for such actions by China, is the US intention of controlling international trade in the Indian Ocean and the Pacific or even monopoly of trade control in those waters. - See more at: southfront.org...

southfront.org...

I think China did this to expand their military presence and made bogus claims that this was a lawful expansion of China's sovereignty. They claimed land (reefs) and sea, that were once considered national waters.

If the international community rolls over, Beijing may insist on—backed by warships and planes—exclusive economic rights around these new islands, despite going against international law. That could mean that the natural resources for 200 miles around these “instant islands” would be Chinese; no fishing or exploration or drilling for oil and gas without Beijing’s say-so. Second, the building of military bases on these man-made islands would push Chinese influence far into the Pacific Ocean, projecting Beijing’s military might, especially if airstrips are built. These new defense outposts could be used to control the area, including trade and air/sea traffic (e.g., U.S. warship movement) in and through the region.

dailysignal.com...
Well, the international community, including Obama's administration, did "roll over" in my opinion and allowed China to develop a strong foothold in the South China Sea.

During his last term, U.S. President Barack Obama did not allow the Navy to engage in FONOPS, part of his policy of caution and avoidance of extra confrontation with Beijing.

In recent years, while the Navy suspended the operations, China began to aggressively build in the Spratly Islands, installing military-grade runways and deploying surface-to-air weaponry, according to satellite images.

www.upi.com...

Now under Trump's administration these U.S. Navy operations are beginning again. China views this as a form of sabre rattling and warned the U.S. not to challenge its sovereignty.

“China respects and upholds the freedom of navigation and overflight in the South China Sea, which countries enjoy under international law, but firmly opposes any country’s attempt to undermine China’s sovereignty and security in the name of the freedom of navigation and overflight,” China’s foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said

www.foxnews.com...

So, how will China respond to U.S. warships conducting naval exercises in their self proclaimed sovereign waters? Could this spark a military showdown and spark a war?

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hope not as if shtf would be caught in middle of it here in singapore . Dont need another front row seat in one more of americas wars already done that .

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

They've already performed exercises and freedom of navigation through the area in the last year or two.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
These islands are built on old coral reef right??

I'm NO geologist, but that surely isn't the most stable place for a military installation is it?

Couldn't you just take a couple of subs over there and poke them into the sea?

edit on 20-2-2017 by Dem0nc1eaner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I can see why this would cause relations to sour a little. I can also see why China thinks they can expand in this area. China is huge, over populated and damn close to those island when looking at it from a global scale. The communities most nearing it could and probably are easily upset about the idea and execution. China is a super power and being told no isn't something it should have to hear often when considering factors not concerning human rights.
edit on 20-2-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner
Couldn't you just take a couple of subs over there and poke them into the sea?

They are built up using drudged sea bed, concrete; often times expanded atolls...not just atop old coral reefs.

Islands are hard to defend for long periods...

mg

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
China is trying to gain control over the South China Sea. With these military installations that have the ability to place radar, anti-air missiles, medium to long range strategic missiles (nukes & carrier killers) on these islands. This drastically reduces the US Navy's ability to project forces in that region as it would force US Carriers to stand off at a greater distance.

This also puts China in a position to control all the trade routes in the area. 5 Trillion Dollars of trade flow thru the South China Sea, that a lot of power China would be in control of. Plus China would be in a position to make even greater demands upon its neighboring countries in terms of access to the sea.

Now in regards to Taiwan give the Mainland Chinese a huge advantage if they choose to invade Taiwan. The defense of Taiwan has always depended upon the Taiwanese holding off the Communist Chinese until the US can arrive with reinforcements. However with these islands, it make it harder for the US to respond as our carriers can not get close enough without first taking out those islands. As it stands right now the invasion of Taiwan would be over before the US Navy would be able to defeat those islands and then respond to Taiwan.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I don't know but would think that the US and China would not start a war ...Reason being is what would a victory look like ...Or what would a loss look like ...Both sides seem to be playing for a diplomatic win ,in which case China has the upper hand at present... The US's focus on the ME in the past had them missing what was happening ...Its a geopolitical game that China has won and a game the US needs to be at the table with strength that they don't have at the moment ...

Signs that the US position is going to change anytime soon is just not in the bigger picture ...journal-neo.org...

The China front line can't happen until the US builds another line in a place (ME) ...Just what that has to look like is a call that can't be made because of the deteriorating situation there now . Add this vid and I am out of here

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
China has an awsome anti air carft carrier they have been developing for the past 2 decade, maybe its time for some live action tests.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They've already performed exercises and freedom of navigation through the area in the last year or two.
If war does break out you can thank the Chinese for not abiding by international law.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

That made me laugh so hard I think I hurt something. China has an old Russian cast off that they rebuilt. They have come a long way, but, they are still far from having a blue water Navy.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

If war does break out you can thank the Chinese for not abiding by international law.

Are you having a laugh.. The USA has just illegally occupied two nations in defiancy of international law..

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

China may have dveloped and beat the world in creating the first working em drive...

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So it's alright for the US to park a few acres of sovereign US territory with a floating arsenal and air wing wherever they damn well please and use it as a weapon of intimidation, but China can't build a couple of tiny islands off their coast?

What's wrong with this picture?

Oh yeah! 'murica rules everyone else drools. Excuse the jab but the double standard gets infuriating at times.

Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of China's government either. I've studied the "thousand year plan" and I understand their intentions as well. I don't trust either of these governments because they both want to be the Rulers of the World.

Newsflash! The world isn't here to be ruled over by any one nation so calm the # down and back the # off.

/rant off

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

That made me laugh so hard I think I hurt something. China has an old Russian cast off that they rebuilt. They have come a long way, but, they are still far from having a blue water Navy.

Sure. Whatever floats your boat.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

The huge difference is that they're claiming an ADIZ around the islands, and are grabbing territory that isn't theirs to grab. A carrier moves through and doesn't take resources. This is pretty much a straight resource grab.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

If you want to believe different, have fun. The Liaoning sat rusting in a Russian shipyard for years first as the Riga, then as the Varyag. The Russian navy got her a little over half built and stopped.

As for Chinese blue water forces, they operate small detachments in many areas, but that doesn't make them a true blue water force. They're getting there, but they still have a few years to go.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Kukri

The huge difference is that they're claiming an ADIZ around the islands, and are grabbing territory that isn't theirs to grab. A carrier moves through and doesn't take resources. This is pretty much a straight resource grab.

ADIZ the 200 mile limit youtu.be... Put your islands in strategic locations and claim a 200 mile over lapping limit around them... Great plan if they can carry it off..

China is all over S.E. Asia with building and financing projects that make many of the governments/people think China is a good guy..

China has been sending thousands of package tourist to many of the S.E. Asian countries which makes the governments happy because of the money they spend on VISA and accommodations.
A short video and worth a watch IMO

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Legally, man made islands don't give you a new ADIZ, or EEZ, which is what China is claiming they do. That's one of the things that has multiple nations doing freedom of navigation exercises through the area.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

You might enjoy this piece because it has a surprise . Imagine a statue of a woman could hold such sway over international "norms" and put the law in such a precarious place ..

Their current state is illustrated by the incident on January 9, when a group of six Chinese bombers accompanied by two support planes crossed the South Korean Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) over the East China Sea and Sea of ​​Japan in the Tsushima Strait area. We remember that the country that introduces the ADIZ zone (usually extending for hundreds of kilometers from the national airspace) has no right to prevent the flight of a foreign aircraft, but may require a notice from the crew on the intention to enter it.

Military aircrafts often ignore this requirement (as obviously in this case), which nevertheless does not violate international law. But at the same time, as a rule, Air Defense fighters of ADIZ “hostess” country inspect the intruding “guest.” On January 9, Japan’s Air Defense aircrafts were also lifted for an inspection mission, however what the Republic of Korea did was unprecedented. For the interception of the Chinese group, ten F-15 and F-16 fighter jets of the South Korean Air Force were lifted.

Two weeks ago, in a similar incident over the Miyako Strait of the Ryukyu archipelago, to intercept a group of six Chinese bombers and support aircrafts, the Japanese Air Force lifted only two F-15’s. So far, one of the major regional players, i.e. the US, has not participated in these “muscle-flexing games” and political “shows”, again due to being absorbed in solving complex internal problems. It is difficult to say, whether this is good or bad from the standpoint of maintaining stability in Northeast Asia. journal-neo.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join