It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USGS not posting quakes west of Alaska???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I watch the USGS dot GOV quake map every day and patterns sometimes appear. recently there were no quakes reported west of Alaska and Hawaii. so just found this one...2017-02-18 22:22:56 (UTC) So i went to an alternative quake listing, www.emsc-csem.org... looking for what might be ignored bu USGS and saw 34 quakes in the last 24 hours in the Turkey Greece region. None seen by USGS. maybe just a glitch at USGS, but a big one. Turkey is not just an active quake zone..it is a crossroads for Russian, US, Nato, and Israeli power.
I have no answers, only a question here. any explanation of the USGS lacunae?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: darkstar57

It's not unusual, if you want a real time picture of smaller quake activity around the globe use RSOE real time map, shows all quakes big or small and other disasters.
USGS doesn't show quakes below 4 mag i think it is.

RSOE As it looks on the map now is normal every day actvity, except for the few in France, those are rare.

edit on 18-2-2017 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

For some strange reason, RSOE misses a lot of Japanese quakes. I have no idea why.

If USGS does not have sensors in one part of the world ... then no data is why they won't report it.

You need to look at multiple sources to get all quakes.

P

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Does any quakes around Japan show on other sites, since you are saying they are missing.

I cant see any quakes around Japan on either USGS or emsc-csem.

They are just having a quiet day-s i think.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Japan

That is one, but they only list over 4.0 it seems.

That is a problem when others are reporting above 1.0.

It seems quiet ... but it is not!

P

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

The markers on RSOE for minor quakes are only visible for a period of time, i don't think they last for more than 24 hours because it real time update constantly, the quake you found was two days ago, so it was probably there yesterday.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

For some strange reason, RSOE misses a lot of Japanese quakes. I have no idea why.

If USGS does not have sensors in one part of the world ... then no data is why they won't report it.

You need to look at multiple sources to get all quakes.

P

As pheonix said, you need to look at multiple sources.

Here is one for Canada. I love this one. If I see things happening in the PNW, I can ususually find them on here and follow them.
www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...
edit on 19-2-2017 by crappiekat because: sp

new topics

top topics

join