It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Claim Existence of Drowned Pacific Ocean Continent

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
A minor distraction from the drudgery of politics.

Reuters
A continent two-thirds the size of Australia has been found beneath the south-west Pacific Ocean, scientists reported in the journal of the Geological Society of America.

The land mass of 4.5 million square kilometers (1.74 million square miles) is 94 percent underwater and only its highest points - New Zealand and New Caldeonia - poke above the surface.

"The paper we've written unashamedly sticks to empirical observations and descriptions," Mortimer said. "The litmus test will really be if 'Zealandia' appears in maps and atlases in five or 10 year's time.""Zealandia" is believed to have broken away from Australia about 80 million years ago and sank beneath the sea as part of the break up of the super-continent known as Gondwanaland.

I always find it interesting when anyone gets it in their head to change the Official Story. I don't know whether to believe it or not, but it doesn't seem so farfetched. It would seem there would have to be a lot more water stored in ice somewhere.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
They made too many people and it sunk under their weight.
Pretty sure that's what happened.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Odd I think that they traced out such a small area.

Here's 'gooder' picture of what it looks like today from Google Earth.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
In one of my threads from many years back about the mysteries of Easter Island the natives there had a mythology that basically claimed they came from the location we'd associate with New Zealand but left because there was a major earthquake and the island sunk.

This information confirms that such a legend is certainly a valid possibility of being accurate.

Thanks for sharing this, it's nice to see a story that had little evidence at the time - and I took to be an extremely likely reality - to finally being backed up by some solid information.

The mysteries of Easter Island may not be mysteries for very long if we keep figuring all of these things out!

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I thought the Lost Continent of Mu has long since been established!

Ancient Drawings of Where Mu Was Supposed To Be

edit on 18-2-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

The mysteries of Easter Island may not be mysteries for very long if we keep figuring all of these things out!
Bodies Seems like they think the statues were built by Polynesians. Easter island is one of those topics which cause us to pause and wonder what ancient civilization could have been advanced enough to create such structures.
If I were to guess, I'd have to believe that the answers to such questions are in tomes that have long disappeared.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I could see that. There's an apparent subduction zone mostly to the east of North Island. But, one wonders what would happen if that area became active again and the outcome of the zone marked with the yellow lines.

There have been stories about rich people 'sinking' a lot of cash in that area lately, IIRC.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Oh this is interesting, I'll have to bm, it looks like a great read Snarl!

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
depending how long this land has bee submerged
perhaps an ancient race memory of this land is the origin of the MU/Lemuria/Atlantis legends

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Ummm...only after it tipped over first...Like Guam...doncha kno...

YouSir
edit on 18-2-2017 by YouSir because: I...have...the power...

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Wow, talk about crazy dot connecting.

As a Kiwi who has resettled across the ditch, let me tell you what has REALLY happened.

1) That yellow fault has become active. Nothing is rising, it's moving toward Australia. And things are sinking / tearing.

2) All the investment you speak of is the ongoing rape of the New Zealand economy fueled by Chinese millionaires speculating on property prices. That and globalist agenda elites buying land to make bunkers in.

The truth is that New Zealand is no longer a land for the people who were born there. It's a target of desire for the rich who cherry pick everything and push the locals side into newly forming ghettos.

As for the whole lost continent thing, I don't think so.

NZ is literally sitting atop a tiny wedge of rock sitting jammed between the Australian and South Pacific continental plates. That yellow line represents the border between the plates, which have suddenly come alive and are on the move again.
edit on 18-2-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Cool. I was just speculating when I laid down those yellow lines. I might have to start looking for a new line of work. j/k

Thanks for the first-hand perspective of current events.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The lost continent of MU is in that general area.

Thing is, there are some people who believe humanity has exist far longer then what mainstream science tells us.

From one of those conspiracies arises the lost continent of MU, the precursor to Atlantis and other advance civilizations, the master continent. So lost that the only information left is but few stories and small catchphrases that we may utter from time to time.

A true tragedy, what and who were these beings? Anyways, some really interesting stuff, obviously this can be anything MU or just some random stuff we found.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
sorry....not buying it. Its obviously connected to the continental shelf of Australia. Its part of the Australian continent.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
When I was in Fiji 10 years ago the locals were telling us that the 300+ islands that currently make up Fiji are the mountain tops of a once vast land. Legend carried through the ages from generation to generation.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Zealandia also known as the New Zealand continent or Tasmantis, is a nearly submerged continental fragment that sank after breaking away from Australia 60–85 Ma (million years) ago

60 million years ago, nothing to see here, not Mu, not Atlantis, not relevant to humanity...

Time for coffee and fresh air, that's right, in through the nose, out through the mouth
lol

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I love how sociologists and archeologists always take the oral traditions of indigenous people as mythology. There are traditions throughout the world of "continents" sinking that are never believed by Western scientists or academics.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

I love how sociologists and archeologists always take the oral traditions of indigenous people as mythology. There are traditions throughout the world of "continents" sinking that are never believed by Western scientists or academics.

You mean, apart from this list of known sunken lands verified by science ?

Sundaland, the now submerged Sunda Shelf.
Zealandia, a continent that is now 93% submerged under the Pacific Ocean.
Kerguelen Plateau, a submerged micro-continent which is now 1–2 km below sea level.
Beringia, connecting Asia and North America.
Doggerland, the bed of the North Sea, inundated by rising sea level during the Holocene.
The bed of the Persian Gulf—claimed by some to contain Dilmun or the Garden of Eden
A large island in the Mediterranean Sea, of which the Maltese Islands are the only parts not now submerged.
Maui Nui, once a large island of the Hawaii archipelago; several major islands represent residual high ground of Maui Nui.
New Moore Island, an island in the Bay of Bengal submerged in 2010 by rising sea levels.
Verdronken Land van Reimerswaal, most of this region in The Netherlands vanished in a storm in 1532; the town of Reimerswaal survived as an island into the 17th century; the last bits of land vanished in the early 19th century.
Strand, an island off the German coast with the town Rungholt, eroded away by storm surges before being washed away by a final flood in 1634.
Jordsand, once an island off the Danish coast, eroded away by storm surges before being washed away by a final flood between 1998 and 1999.
Ferdinandea, submerged volcanic island which has appeared at least four times in the past.
Sarah Ann Island, now submerged guano island, located just north of the equator. Vanished between 1917 and 1932.
Ravenser Odd, a large 13th-century town on the old sandbank promontory in East Yorkshire, which became an island and then vanished in January 1392.
Dunwich, the traditional capital of the Kingdom of the East Angles that was lost to the sea in a storm surge hit the coastline in 1286.

edit on 18-2-2017 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

I'm waiting for them to find cities... *__-

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: Snarl

I'm waiting for them to find cities... *__-

60 million year old cities ?