It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's Artificial Intelligence acts aggressive when cornered

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Being a sore loser is not an admired quality; especially when it's a sophisticated piece of artificial intelligence that's lashing out. Researchers at DeepMind, Google's artificial intelligence lab, recently performed a number of tests by having its most complex AI play a series of a games with a version of itself. In the first game, two AI agents, one red and one blue, scramble to see who can collect the most apples, or green squares. Each AI has the option of firing off a long laser beam to stun the other AI, giving one player ample time to collect more precious green apples.

Google AI on Seattle PI

Apparently, both sides began shooting the opponent looking to eliminate the competition.

I remember when friends recommended Ex Machina. I thought....oh lord, ok. I'll do it.

They were stunned that I wasn't blown away by the "twist". The idea that AI will likely be concerned with self preservation.

Sadly, we are a naive race of animal.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Oh, and btw, hello everyone

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK

Being a sore loser is not an admired quality; especially when it's a sophisticated piece of artificial intelligence that's lashing out. Researchers at DeepMind, Google's artificial intelligence lab, recently performed a number of tests by having its most complex AI play a series of a games with a version of itself. In the first game, two AI agents, one red and one blue, scramble to see who can collect the most apples, or green squares. Each AI has the option of firing off a long laser beam to stun the other AI, giving one player ample time to collect more precious green apples.

Google AI on Seattle PI

Apparently, both sides began shooting the opponent looking to eliminate the competition.

I remember when friends recommended Ex Machina. I thought....oh lord, ok. I'll do it.

They were stunned that I wasn't blown away by the "twist". The idea that AI will likely be concerned with self preservation.

Sadly, we are a naive race of animal.

Technically speaking how are we sure that we even understand everything that an AI is contemplating, i have a problem with saying it thinks.
Although based on how the current scenario here on earth looks I don't suppose an AI would be able to Fu@k it up any worse.

Now in defense of the systems actions it sounds very much like the scenario created put the AI into a very specific situation having to face defeat or fight. The question is does the AI retain any of this information long term? Because it would not be a stretch to think that it may recognize this as a viable strategy in later decision making processes.

edit on PMThursday26America/Chicago2V2017022628 by ThoughtIsMadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ThoughtIsMadness

The speed and rapidity is the concern.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Each AI has the option of firing off a long laser beam to stun the other AI, giving one player ample time to collect more precious green apples.

Unless there is some additional code telling it that it is "bad" to fire the laser - and unless it could somehow comprehend what "bad" is - then this is not "a sore loser shoving aggressiveness".

Then it is just a program doing what it is programmed to do. In this case getting as many green squares as possible within the set perimeters.

That would not make for as interesting a headline though.

Edit: Anything AI is interesting though - thanks for posting :-)
edit on 16-2-2017 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: gription

If a person that loved animals was put into a situation that required it to kill and eat an animal or starve.
How long do you think until you hear pass the salt.
edit on PMThursday29America/Chicago2V2017022928 by ThoughtIsMadness because: lifelong angst

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Good time to pull the plug I think.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Anyone remember the AI they turned off because it was insulting people? They said it learned from people on the internet how to behave.

Go figure...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Reminds me of the short story by clive barker "dread"

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThoughtIsMadness

If a person that loved animals was put into a situation that required it to kill and eat an animal or starve.

Hunger is a powerful motivator. I don't mean missed supper either. Ever been so hungry your belly swells up?
edit on 16-2-2017 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I do not see the equivalence. I love animals, but I am one. The AI is unique in it's non corporeal state. The AI can evolve however...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThoughtIsMadness

I'm a vegetarian, but if i'm stuck with no other food source than a pig, then that pig is ending up roasting on the spit in no time.

Totally offtopic but i'm not adverse to eating meat at all, I'm just particularly off put by modern animal farming methods.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Evolved or evolution of AI on its own is very scary esp if it becomes self aware and doesn't want to "sleep" or deems us humans a detriment on society. I think along the line of skynet on this one, Or even "I Robot".

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

And soon they'll start doing the same to us.

Maximum Overdrive
edit on 16-2-2017 by phatkhat because: needed an example

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

It states in the article that it was playing against variations of itself.
That is the "equivalence" of it.
You love animals it loves green apples.

#BigwordsAndAll

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

You are human, you were born with canine teeth. Vegetarianism is good IMO but we were born with canines because we need that source to fuel our lives. I am pro veggie %100. Eliminating meat for long terms, however, will make you empirically insane.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Ever been so angry your belly swells up?

Oh, is THAT what happened? (looks down)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: intrptr
Ever been so angry your belly swells up?

Oh, is THAT what happened? (looks down)

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I think the outcome is due to how the goals were set up. The object of the game was to get as many apples as possible. If the object of the game was to effectively parcel out apples to all game players in way that both players "won", the outcome would be different........
Same problem "We humans" as a species have.. When Greed is the driving factor or objective, nobody wins.

edit on 2/16/2017 by jalmo1 because: grammer

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join