It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drunk in Antarctica

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Johnson says many take "ice wives" or "ice husbands" even if they are married. "It is understood this is only for the season and no one says anything about it - and nobody tells anybody back in the States, 9000 miles (14,500km) away."

www.theaustralian.com.au...

............. *gives sons father THAT look* "You are never working in Antartica.

lol!

Good luck, if you're really interested I sure hope you get an offer!!!

-Alee

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Well I am left with the WHAT THE HELL ?

2 dudes for every dudette.

Drink, screw, throw in a little science, smoke a blunt afterwards.

All in the name of SCIENCE!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

HAHAHA, I wish I could give you more than a star for this post

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks
This sounds like rather interesting experience, I'm curious as to what the job requirements are?

lol

Good luck, dude!

The requirements are the same as they'd be for the same type of work anywhere else, you just have to be able to get yourself to Chile to fly out.

I'm not a scientist or anything. I have years of experience in Food Service so the positions I applied for are Sous Chef, Prep Cook, and Steward. Just go to the USAP website, and look through the contractors who hire for the type of work you're applying for. Hopefully I can be the bartender at Club 90 South lol.

ETA: What's cool is you get to save the majority of the money you make while working there.
edit on 16-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

originally posted by: underwerks

Johnson says many take "ice wives" or "ice husbands" even if they are married. "It is understood this is only for the season and no one says anything about it - and nobody tells anybody back in the States, 9000 miles (14,500km) away."

www.theaustralian.com.au...

............. *gives sons father THAT look* "You are never working in Antartica.

lol!

Good luck, if you're really interested I sure hope you get an offer!!!

-Alee

Hahaha. Thanks. I'm single so that won't be a problem for me.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Ah snap! I'm a cook too! I'm down!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Ah snap! I'm a cook too! I'm down!

Now's the time to apply for the next season!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I've always wanted an ice wife. I'm about to check out your link.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sounds like an adventure. If I were 20 years younger I would go for it.

Hope you get the "positions" you're looking for...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Hell man.. They've got baker's yeast and sugar already on supply. All the wine you can drink, right there. For a bunch of scientists, it blows my mind that they "ran out of wine". Doh!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working in McMurdo station, and will be here until August. We are coming into our winter months here, so soon it will be 24 hours of darkness. At this time of year, there is one bar open from 7 to 11 pm. Once a week you get an alcohol ration and can either get 1 bottle of liquor, 1 case of beer, or 4 bottles of wine from the station store. Scott Base, which is only 2 miles away has America night every Thursday night. While there, you can purchase 1 bottle of wine. If you still need more alcohol, you can always find someone that doesn't drink, and didn't use their alcohol ration. For the most part, the people down here do take their work seriously, but it's a work hard, play hard environment. The best party is "Ice Stock". Around New Years, we celebrate by having an outdoor concert. You'd be surprised at the number of musicians that come down here. The concert starts at 4 pm and ends at 1 am. It's all outdoors, and yes, it's cold, but one hell of a good time.
Anyway, lot's of good times down here. Any questions?

Pladuim

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

They have guitars you can check out down here.

Pladuim

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pladuim
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working in McMurdo station, and will be here until August. We are coming into our winter months here, so soon it will be 24 hours of darkness. At this time of year, there is one bar open from 7 to 11 pm. Once a week you get an alcohol ration and can either get 1 bottle of liquor, 1 case of beer, or 4 bottles of wine from the station store. Scott Base, which is only 2 miles away has America night every Thursday night. While there, you can purchase 1 bottle of wine. If you still need more alcohol, you can always find someone that doesn't drink, and didn't use their alcohol ration. For the most part, the people down here do take their work seriously, but it's a work hard, play hard environment. The best party is "Ice Stock". Around New Years, we celebrate by having an outdoor concert. You'd be surprised at the number of musicians that come down here. The concert starts at 4 pm and ends at 1 am. It's all outdoors, and yes, it's cold, but one hell of a good time.
Anyway, lot's of good times down here. Any questions?

Pladuim

Thanks for replying! Any advice you can think of? What to bring, what not to bring?

ETA: I couldn't find this anywhere but what are the internet speeds down there? I figured it would be satellite based, so I'm not expecting super fast internet, just something I'm curious about.
edit on 16-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerksETA: What's cool is you get to save the majority of the money you make while working there.

Nope. I'd be ordering stuff off Amazon Prime and have it home waiting for me.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Yes, I can give you some tips. First, before you leave, fix yourself up a box goodies and mail it to yourself before you leave. That way, it will be here when you arrive, or shortly after. The food isn't so bad, but you'll appreciate a box full of goodies after you spent some time down here. FYI, there is pizza, cookies, and icecream available 24 hours a day.

Since your coming in December, it won't be so cold at first for you, around 30F. I figure since your coming in December, you'll be staying for the winter months. Pack plenty of thermal underwear, and wool socks. You won't be spending too much time outside since you'll be working in the kitchen, but there are a few trails you'll want hike on and will need those thermals. Most of your other cold weather gear will be issued to you before you leave. I can give you more information on what to pack later on.

The internet speeds during the summer months are very slow. Most of the bandwidth is given to the scientists. Loading up an email isn't so bad, but trying to log onto Facebook is almost impossible unless you get up in the middle of the night and log on while most people are sleeping. There is no WIFI during the summer months because there are just too many people (around 1,000) for the bandwidth that's available. During the winter months, there is WIFI, when the population drops to around 100.

Please feel free to ask all the questions you may have, and I'll try to give you all the advice I can.

Pladuim

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Pladuim

Yeah, so what kind of guitars do they have? Anything worthwhile? What brand of liquor, wine and beer do they have? Do people gain or lose weight?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pladuim

Yes, I can give you some tips. First, before you leave, fix yourself up a box goodies and mail it to yourself before you leave. That way, it will be here when you arrive, or shortly after. The food isn't so bad, but you'll appreciate a box full of goodies after you spent some time down here. FYI, there is pizza, cookies, and icecream available 24 hours a day.

Since your coming in December, it won't be so cold at first for you, around 30F. I figure since your coming in December, you'll be staying for the winter months. Pack plenty of thermal underwear, and wool socks. You won't be spending too much time outside since you'll be working in the kitchen, but there are a few trails you'll want hike on and will need those thermals. Most of your other cold weather gear will be issued to you before you leave. I can give you more information on what to pack later on.

The internet speeds during the summer months are very slow. Most of the bandwidth is given to the scientists. Loading up an email isn't so bad, but trying to log onto Facebook is almost impossible unless you get up in the middle of the night and log on while most people are sleeping. There is no WIFI during the summer months because there are just too many people (around 1,000) for the bandwidth that's available. During the winter months, there is WIFI, when the population drops to around 100.

Please feel free to ask all the questions you may have, and I'll try to give you all the advice I can.

Pladuim

Thanks so much. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to ask.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! This is hilarious. I never would've guessed that Antarctica was like the Hoth version of Vegas. Does not really surprise me though, they are just human like all of us. Wants, Needs, Quirks, Problems, Hopes...... Maybe the vetting process for workers there should be scrutinized a little more closely, but it is what it is. I also thought that it was a little more strict at these places, and would have harsher consequences for said behaviors, but was wrong there too I guess. Now my thoughts drift to what if these stations are being used as big social experiments for the gov on top of what ever other research that is going on there. Something that only top officials know about, but none of the researchers do, kind of thing.... I'm sure they are collecting some sort of data from that in some way. A real interesting read here none the less.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

I think said dude is full of it. I trust nobody. I want specifics.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Sorry it took so long to reply. Just off the top of my head, here is the liquor list. Jameson, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Crown Royal, Sky Vodka, Tequila, Gin, and more. The beer list...Coors, Tui, Speights, Fat Tire, PBR, Sierra Nevada, and a few more. I'm not really a wine drinker, but there seems to be a good selection.

I currently have a friend here that checked out a Fender acoustical guitar. I don't know much more than that since I don't play.

The food down here is good sometimes, and sometimes it sucks. I have lost a few pounds since being here, but that's something I've been working on. Some do gain weight, but I think most people keep their original weight.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

Actually, the vetting process is almost military like. There is a background check, and you have to meet the physical requirements. I do have to say, most of the people down here are some of the best people I have ever worked with.

I have been told that there are social experiments going on, especially at the South Pole. Heck, there is a voluntary experiment going on right now down here focused on Mars. I know some people are donating their morning urine. I'm not a part of it, so I don't know all of the details.

Comparing this place to Vegas is a bit over exaggerated, but we do like to have a good time. We all work 6 days a week, and at times, 7 days a week. You know the saying, "work hard, play hard."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join