It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A massive lake of molten carbon the size of Mexico is discovered under the US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I first saw something about this on youtube which I will not post simply because it was way over the top in my opinion.. However later I stumbled upon an article that says basically the same thing with out all the auhs and ooHs.. The Carbon accumulation is due to subduction and plate tectonics.

Not my area of expertise but you have to wonder at the reservoir's location what what would be the effect (if any) with a Yellowstone eruption ?

Situated under western US, 217 miles (350km) beneath the Earth's surface
Scientists used world's largest array of seismic sensors to map area
Melting carbon covers an area of 700,000 sq miles (1.8 million sq km)
Upper mantle could contain up to 100 trillion metric tonnes of melted carbon
Its discovery challenges what researchers have assumed about how much carbon is trapped inside the planet

Since the melted carbon is so deep it would take something rather impressive to get it to release IMO. But if it did...not good..

As a result of this study, scientists now believe the amount of CO2 in the Earth's upper mantle may be up to 100 trillion metric tons.

In comparison, the US Environmental Protection Agency estimates the global carbon emission in 2011 was nearly 10 billion metric tons – a tiny amount in comparison.

The area covered by the study includes Yellowstone National Park, where previous research has uncovered evidence of a supervolcano which could also spell danger for the planet.

The volcano at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and Montana sits atop a huge reserve of molten rock and last erupted 640,000 years ago.

It releases around 45,000 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide each day.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Anyway thought there might be some of you interested in the article

I decided to post a couple of videos but if you read the article you get more out of the findings.
youtu.be...

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Good Lord! That is huge.

I wonder if the heat & pressure is great enough, there might be large diamond deposits nearby.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Ah yes, soon to be the great US diamond rush of 2017!

Folk songs will tell of tales of fortunes gained and lost and the bandits that ruined so many lives.

Oh wait, nevermind. The gov-mint most likely would just go in and claim/strip the land for themselves. I just unpacked my bags

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Ah yes, soon to be the great US diamond rush of 2017!

Folk songs will tell of tales of fortunes gained and lost and the bandits that ruined so many lives.

Oh wait, nevermind. The gov-mint most likely would just go in and claim/strip the land for themselves. I just unpacked my bags

You'd be better off opening a 7-11 nearby.
20 bucks for a bag of Cheetos, 25 for a bottle of beer.

You wouldn't need diamonds.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Canaries?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

And armed with those facts kids we need to take a break to rethink what we have been told and what we believe and don't believe ....quick someone with the smarts rush over to Wiki and start editing ...its a mess right now
This is what looks like good bit of info some may find interesting chemistry.stackexchange.com...
edit on 16-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)
eta warning the language used may not be suitable for some

low-density liquid carbon contains predominantly twofold-coordinated chain structures (sp hybridization). As the density increased to that of solid forms, bond hybridization increased and threefold-coordinated (graphite-like) and fourfold-coordinated (diamond-like) bonds become more prevalent (indicating sp2 and sp3 hybridization, respectively). These observations are consistent with molecular dynamics calculations that rely on a tight-binding model of interatomic bonding. The fits also suggest that the bond length between carbon atoms in the liquid is significantly shorter than those in the solid, an observation also consistent with simulations.

edit on 16-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This will be a major boon for the tennis racket and golf club industries.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Seriously, we should start drilling and pumping the stuff out.
Great for the steel industry...and it relieves pressure on Yellowstone.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Yes but drilling that deep would be like going to the moon

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
What if this leads to something worse than a supervolcano, like an ultra-mega-super-duper-volcano?

This is another of those things that go into my "Things That Keep Me Awake At Night" basket.
edit on 16-2-2017 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This discovery apparently renders irrelevant, EPA carbon emission projections:

The paradox is that the new discovery of massive carbon deposits makes the projection made by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of 10 billion metric tons of global carbon emission totally insignificant.

The research also says that in the time to come, the underground carbon will make it to the earth’s surface and move into the atmosphere by means like volcanic eruptions and exacerbate the climate change issue.

www.themarshalltown.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

There is Waldo ...or as someone up stream said Canary ...Now if they could just tax the crap out of it .

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap
What if this leads to something worse than a supervolcano, like an ultra-mega-super-duper-volcano?

If just the super volcano blows...It's "Game Over, Man!".

edit on 16-2-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

It's a wonderfully sensationalist headline isn't it?

I wouldn't worry though - it is over 257 miles down. Go down another few thousand miles and you have a ball of magma the same size as Mars (just for perspective).

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Why? Thera (Santorini) was a super volcanic eruption - it produced around 66km3 of ejecta. This compares to 6km3 for Vesuvius (AD 79) and around 0.5km3 for Mt St Helens.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

The worst part would be massive worldwide starvation as US agriculture would be wiped out.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Volcano's the most significant player in global warming thats not on the stage...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I would imagine every single major gold deposit on the entire Earth has been mapped out to the nth degree:

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

"amazing" they know this since it is over 200 miles anyone has ever drilled...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap

This is another of those things that go into my "Things That Keep Me Awake At Night" basket.
mmmmmM, yep, I always hate gitt'n kilt by the measly ol 'super volcano's', no the only kind for me is the Super duper new and improved money back guarantee, color my world Volcanos, yesseree-Bob.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join