It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European Produce Crisis

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
£4 ($5) for a small low quality iceberg lettuce in sweden at the moment. Same for cucumbers

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: carabao
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Yes, strawberries grown in greenhouses tastes bland. Same as blueberries grown in greenhouses. Point is?

No particular point per se, except I find them bland and tasteless.

I must be old fashioned, but I'm all for local seasonal produce.

Thanks for asking though.

Part of the problem is Is storage techniques, one thing they do that compromises taste is cold storage :

Finding the answers is a bit like discovering a magician's secrets. Behind the facade of the supermarket fresh food section are many tricks of the trade, and even some optical illusions: tomatoes that appear ripe, but aren't, 11-month-old apples, bananas that are gassed with a hormone and warmed yellow. The methods possibly do compromise taste and nutrition, but the supermarkets say they are done in the consumer's name. If food does not taste like it used to, perhaps it's because we've demanded it that way.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

No particular point per se, except I find them bland and tasteless.

I must be old fashioned, but I'm all for local seasonal produce.

Thanks for asking though.

me too. I prefer locally grown seasonal vegetables.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

All you have to check is the major food distributors websites, most have a public farmers report available.

Here's one for example.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Another interesting thing to note: vegetables grown in tge West have lost on average 30% of their mineral and vitamin content between 1950 and 1999.

Our soil is dying. Broccoli used to have near 30 mgs more calcium for instance.

Iv said this before but I'm a firm believer in old school farming techniques, modern chemical based nutrients and pest prevention has killed the living soil, it should be teaming with bacteria, microbes and all the little creatures that aerate and fertilise the soil but most land is void of all these good things.
There's an old weed growers saying.... feed the soil not the plant and it works well, have a lil google of "no/zero till gardening" you will find the healthiest plants are grown when man takes a step back and lets nature do what nature does best

Naturally produced vegetables/plants have a higher chance of surviving things like floods and cold snaps hence the reason my garden veg patch grows all year round (different veg for different parts of the year) I give it a little help in really cold times but that only by adding a ground cover of straw or woodchips both of which break down to natural nutrients or are composted by worms

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
For the latest delirium, the Italian government has assessed it's upcoming economic conditions as good for the foreseeable future. The funny thing is that newspapers report this as fact.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
All it would take to wipe out humanity would be to create a higher amplitude
sine wave out of the slipstream. Arctic blast, followed by Summer Breeze, and everywhere, you get the idea. But my hat was left behind, and I wanted it, so I chartered a jet to retrieve it. I felt I had some political currency, and I wanted to spend it.

Don't look up to find the source. Look down.

# 692

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This story is fake news guys because We all know only Mexicans can pick crops and there are no Mexicans in Spain.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join