It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy revives interest in upgrading F414 engine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The Navy has revived interest in upgrading the F414-GE-400 engine used in the F-18 family, as well as two foreign aircraft. GE will study ways to improve the core of the engine to improve performance of the engine and aircraft. They haven't released details as to what the goals of the upgrade would be. Core enhancement would include improving the high-pressure compressor, combustor, and high-pressure turbine.

This would come on top of GE's proposed F414 Enhanced Engine. Improvements under that program include 3D aerodynamic shaping of the compressor blades and an improved cooling system for the turbine blades. It may also include the use of CMCs, but GE hadn't decided on that yet.

The US Navy has revived interest in studying a major upgrade of the engine that powers the Boeing F/A-18E/F, EA-18G and two foreign fighters, including the possible addition of new technologies.

In early February, Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) notified industry that it would ask GE Aviation to submit a proposal for a contract for the company’s engineers to perform a study on an “F414-GE-400 core enhancement evaluation”.

Such notifications are required when the government plans to award a contract without inviting competing bids. No other details about the contents or objectives of the study were provided in NAVAIR study, which is described only as an assessment of “how upgrades ... could improve engine performance, as well as F/A-18E/F and EA-18G performance”.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Can't believe this didn't garner a post. This could be great for the SH fleet. More thrust and a little bit better economy in cruise would make the SH more deadly as the jet many consider the best all around 4th gen. It already carries plenty of weight so I'm guessing this would enhance its performance in certain roles and also provide more electricity to the plethora of new systems coming online

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: bra1nwash

I used to hate the rhino for effectively killing the tomcat, but as I said in the ASH thread, I think the Rhino's future is about to get a whole lot brighter...

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
What are the two foreign fighters? Can't think of anything that the Nay use.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
GE have come up with a nice upgrade for our Frame 9E turbines in our power stations, effectively putting a whole new stage in!

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Donkey09

Tejas, and the E/F Gripen.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Every time I see something about the Tejas, in my head I read it "tay-haas", and immediately start thinking about Tex-Mex, BBQ Brisket, and the Alamo.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd love to see the result of them upgrading that motor and slapping it in a new A-4 airframe.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

The super hornet really needs it. A 20% increase in thrust and a similar increase in efficiency alone would pay dividends against the newer threats emerging. This engine will also be in Boeing's T-X I believe so there is that as well.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

Agreed, now if they could only do something about the wing and pylon issue we might actually see a further performance increase. As well as solve the stores separation/buffet problem it caused finally.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Now you're talking.

like your thinking.

bally

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
SInce the F414 fits into the same footprint (and is derived from the 404) that makes Boeing's TX much interesting. It currently uses the F404. Not to mention refitting the legacy hornets

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Bring back the Tomcat?Did anyone think to upengine them?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Bring back the Tomcat?Did anyone think to upengine them?

I think the IRIAF has...........

join