It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German archaeologist believe they have found the tomb of King Gilgamesh

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
A large section of the Old Testiment, such as the story of the great flood and noah, were copied from the Epic of Gilgamesh, a copy of which was in the library of Pharaoh when Moses/Akhenaton was inventing his new monotheistic religion. If confirmed, this should bring the religious establishment into an uproar. Will this discovery be censored and hidden or discredited before it becomes well known. Stay tuned.

"Archaeologists in Iraq believe they may have found the lost tomb of King Gilgamesh - the subject of the oldest "book" in history.

The Epic Of Gilgamesh - written by a Middle Eastern scholar 2,500 years before the birth of Christ - commemorated the life of the ruler of the city of Uruk, from which Iraq gets its name.

Now, a German-led expedition has discovered what is thought to be the entire city of Uruk - including, where the Euphrates once flowed, the last resting place of its famous King.

"I don't want to say definitely it was the grave of King Gilgamesh, but it looks very similar to that described in the epic," Jorg Fassbinder, of the Bavarian department of Historical Monuments in Munich, told the BBC World Service's Science in Action programme. "

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This is truly stunning if true, gilgamesh isn't 'supposed' to be an actual king. What is the source of this? Did it mention if they had published?

I find anything about a similarity to any grave in any of the various versions of the epic to be pretty meaningless, since we're talking about transliterating from a truly alien script (to the modern world anyway, and no i don't mean 'et' alien, just 'unusual') and then translating into a modern language. I find it hard to beleive (but not immposible certainly) that the desciption can be that specific or reliable.

I certianly hope its true tho!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The Epic of Giglamesh also beget the Noah's Arc story, did it not? I, too, hardly find it doubtfull that a mythology holds historical claim. They may have found something startingly perfunctory to the illustrated tomb in the epic.

Deep

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
sorry, I forgot the article that I had just read. Here it is. I hope it is true, it would definitely force some people to do some soul searching.

www.aina.org...

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
im sorry i know nothing about gilagamish... could someone please enlighten me and how this would contradict some stories of the old testament, and what it has to do with the death of jesus?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Well I was right about one thing: they found something startingly perfuctory to the city described in the Epic, however, it does not substantiate the existence of Urak has dictated in the Epic.

"I don't want to say definitely it was the grave of King Gilgamesh, but it looks very similar to that described in the epic," Jorg Fassbinder, of the Bavarian department of Historical Monuments in Munich, told the BBC World Service's Science in Action programme.

"We found just outside the city an area in the middle of the former Euphrates river? the remains of such a building which could be interpreted as a burial," Mr Fassbinder said.

Deep

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
There's a flood story in the epic of Gilgamesh as well as in many ancient stories. It's possible that they all describe the same real event in history -- I think it's fallacy to jump to the conclusion that the Old Testament copied it from Gilgamesh.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
There's a flood story in the epic of Gilgamesh as well as in many ancient stories. It's possible that they all describe the same real event in history -- I think it's fallacy to jump to the conclusion that the Old Testament copied it from Gilgamesh.

So how would this contradict the flood story in the bible? Maybe Gilagamesh is Noah or something. I think it would validate the flood story if anything.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justanotherperson
A large section of the Old Testiment, such as the story of the great flood and noah, were copied from the Epic of Gilgamesh, a copy of which was in the library of Pharaoh when Moses/Akhenaton was inventing his new monotheistic religion. If confirmed, this should bring the religious establishment into an uproar. Will this discovery be censored and hidden or discredited before it becomes well known. Stay tuned.

I wouldn't exactly call it copying, the flood story is an archetype, just like the epic battle between Good and Bad, the symbolism of Light and Dark, the virgin birth of Jesus, the list goes on and on.

Don't worry it won't bring any establishment in a uproar, it is well known that a lot of imagery, symbolism and practices of Christianity have been practiced long before Christianity was born. Christian fanatics will just ignore these findings, as would every other religion fanatics.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is old news, at least six months old.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
So how would this contradict the flood story in the bible? Maybe Gilagamesh is Noah or something. I think it would validate the flood story if anything.

Correction Gilgamesh is the name of the King who ruled Sumeria some thousands of years ago. The book of Gilgamesh tells of the journeys of Gilgamesh.

Actually lot of historians believe that the flood really did happen. But we all know the exageration of the ancients. There was surely a flood, a big one that wiped cities, possibly even countries and many believe that the story of Noah, Utnapishtim (Noah's counterpart in Gilgamesh) is based on truth, sort of like historic fiction.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

That's what I'm saying! Others here were claiming Moses used Gilgamesh to "invent" a new religion or something...

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I was never aware the selectively used 'Old Tesement' was rampant in historicity...

Deep

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

im sorry i know nothing about gilagamish... could someone please enlighten me and how this would contradict some stories of the old testament, and what it has to do with the death of jesus?

The Epic of Gilgamesh is known as being one of the oldest written stories found to date. The epic was written on tablets in cuneform. One of the accounts involves a great flood and is considered to have been the original source for the bible's Noah story. It does nothing to contradict the bible - if anything it shows where some of the stories in the bible came from - in this case Sumeria.

It has nothing to do with death of Jesus as far as I have ever heard. I also do not believe that the moses/anaknaten theory has anything to do with the Gilgamesh tales. If I'm wrong -someone let me know I've been interested in this particular theory for some time.

B.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   

from the article
"We found just outside the city an area in the middle of the former Euphrates river? the remains of such a building which could be interpreted as a burial," Mr Fassbinder said.

How disappointing. NOthing to say that its got anythign to do with gilgamesh. Obviously the writers of the story would know in general what Uruk was like, and even if they didn't the points they are saying matches the description of hte city to the remains are so vague and generalized that they'd match many citites, certainly ones from that time period.

im sorry i know nothing about gilagamish

The Epic of Gilgamesh is well worth the read. One part of it has a flood myth that is very simiilar to, and precedes, the biblical flood myth. Since the hebrews at least maintain that they originated in this area, its likely that the biblical flood myth is largely from the same tradition as the epic's flood myth.

and what it has to do with the death of jesus?

The Epic of Gilgamesh has nothing to do with the death of jesus. For sumerian influences on that one has to look to the story of Inanna's underworld/death/resurection.

Maybe Gilagamesh is Noah or something

I don't think it was said that it contradicts it. however, if the gilgamesh epic is the older of the two, then Noah is infact Utnapisthim (the 'noah' of the story), not the other way around.

I think it would validate the flood story if anything.

It neither validates nor invalidates it really. Both are stories in old books, they aren't much good on their own for supporting or refuting one another.

djohnston
I think it's fallacy to jump to the conclusion that the Old Testament copied it from Gilgamesh.

I think ones has to push reasonability a bit to not say that the older sumerian account was unknown to the people that ultimately wrote the biblical flood story, at least if one maintains that the hebrews were origianlly in sumer/uruk.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
It has nothing to do with death of Jesus as far as I have ever heard. I also do not believe that the moses/anaknaten theory has anything to do with the Gilgamesh tales. If I'm wrong -someone let me know I've been interested in this particular theory for some time.

Nope, you are not wrong. It has absolutely nothing to do with the death of Jesus, hell it doesn't have any character that sort of even relate to Jesus.

I don't know about the moses/anaknaten theory, because I haven't heard of them.

Surf

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
yeah i really think that this helps validate the story in the bible if anything. I mean maybe Moses was told that his name was Noah, dont you remember how Jesus renamed his disciples, maybe God does so that with everyone.

[edit on 31-1-2005 by Ryanp5555]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Surf

You might like this - Moses and Ankenhaten

From the site:

During his reign, the Pharaoh Akhenaten was able to abolish the complex pantheon of the ancient Egyptian religion and replace it with a single god, the Aten, who had no image or form. ....Ahmed Osman, using recent archaeological discoveries and historical documents, contends that Akhenaten and Moses were one and the same man.

In a stunning retelling of the Exodus story, Osman details the events of Moses/Akhenaten's life: how he was brought up by Israelite relatives, ruled Egypt for seventeen years, angered many of his subjects by replacing the traditional Egyptian pantheon with worship of the Aten, and was forced to abdicate the throne. Retreating to the Sinai with his Egyptian and Israelite supporters, he died out of the sight of his followers, presumably at the hands of Seti I, after an unsuccessful attempt to regain his throne.

Needless to say it is a controversial topic, but interesting nontheless.

B.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
You might like this - Moses and Ankenhaten

Sorry nothing of that sort happen in Gilgamesh, but an intersting topic, thanks.

Surf

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Surf

If you really want to read a well laid out and convincing theory that they are one and the same, read the two David Rohl books, 'A test of time' and 'Legend'. He gives good reasons why the Egyptian and Jewish dates are off by 130? years. And he also links the Sumerian and Egyptian civilizations. The books are long, and full of info.
Things like Tutmoses is the same name as DavidMoses, T and D are the same letter, and V and U are also, so Tut = Tvt = Dvd...
Of course, Abraham, Sarah, and Joseph had already established a relationship, and likely a familial connection between the two royal families.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
The Epic of Giglamesh also beget the Noah's Arc story, did it not? I, too, hardly find it doubtfull that a mythology holds historical claim. They may have found something startingly perfunctory to the illustrated tomb in the epic.

Deep

Umm...ever hear of the city of Troy? How about King Arthur? Both myths which were eventually proven history.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join