It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOS and memory loss, has anyone experienced this?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Hey Lag!

I've read about memory loss with people who have been abducted and that's why many of them undergo hypnosis to remember what they experienced. (Think Betty and Barney Hill)

Under hypnosis they re-live it and appear to be terrified/horrified by whatever is 'happening' to them...many say they had medical tests & procedures done to them without anesthetic.

I'm not saying that this is all true or that I believe it 100%, but the very idea of it being true frightens me.

I would assume that actually seeing a "ufo" would be just as terrifying. Although it may not threaten directly, it's proof (in your eyes) that there is something/someone out there who is more advanced. (and potentially dangerous)
Perhaps the brain blocks that memory and fear for survival purposes.

With that reason alone, I would prefer to never see one myself. I will however live vicariously through anyone who HAS experienced it (lol)...and keep my mind open to the idea that it is possibly real (and true).
jacy

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Memories are strange indeed. I always hesitated to tell my story, but I think its relevant to the OP's topic.

When I was a kid I saw a white light orb. When I looked at it, I started floating. I felt an incredible feeling of well being and that's it. Can't remember a thing after that.
Its like that feeling overwhelmed my memory.
I was quite young (maybe 6 or 7 years old).
Since my brain could not find answers as of what the heck that was, it seems like this memory was buried in my mind after a couple of years and never really thought about it for some time.

Then, when I was in my twenties, I was reading a book about alien abductions (this was always one of my interest).
This lady was describing (under hypnosis) how she got nabbed, and it matched strangely what I saw (white orb, floating, incredible feeling)
Her description triggered that memory back. Well the memory of the orb, not what happened after I started floating.
I could never recall that.
I had this strange feeling that it was maybe a dream, but was never convinced since I don't think my mind can dream or imagine such feeling (the one when I was floating).

I thought of going under hypnosis, but I think my interest in UFO might have tainted my memories, and would never be sure if whatever I would see under hypnosis would be true.

I just live with the thought that it was probably my mother who payed me a visit after she passed away (she died when I was 3).
And I am happy with that thought.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I have to agree, the story raised more than a few flags for me some of which you have addressed. The entire account is so full of UFO sighting cliché's that i couldn't help thinking hoax story or false memory syndrome.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I have to agree, the story raised more than a few flags for me some of which you have addressed. The entire account is so full of UFO sighting cliché's that i couldn't help thinking hoax story or false memory syndrome.

Well you are totally wrong Phoenix about it being a hoax and if this raised flags for you then be it so, that's your choice.

My missus knows what she saw and I know exactly what she told me and I can tell you (as I have mentioned before in this thread), that she is one of the most level headed people that I have ever known.

I am open to the fact that this could be a memory syndrome (denial at the time of the supposed sighting), but don't understand why the other people did not discuss this at the time?

This is the reason why I wrote this post... asking for responses and feedback from open minded people...

Tell me, what is NOT a cliché for you to believe?

Thank you.

Warmest

Lags
edit on 17-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Crap grammar

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Fascinating thread! More could be revealed by a licensed hypnotherapist for those wishing more information on what may have happened. As jacy mentioned above, "Perhaps the brain blocks that memory and fear for survival purposes." That is what I think as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Fascinating thread! More could be revealed by a licensed hypnotherapist for those wishing more information on what may have happened. As jacy mentioned above, "Perhaps the brain blocks that memory and fear for survival purposes." That is what I think as well.

Yep, you and Jacy are correct.

It's just getting my other half to agree to go... That will be fun...

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   

No i was thinking more along the lines of hoax story by you rather than the wife character in your story. Terms like "it was a big as a football field" seem ill fitting from a woman with background in science.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

No i was thinking more along the lines of hoax story by you rather than the wife character in your story. Terms like "it was a big as a football field" seem ill fitting from a woman with background in science.

You are free to believe whatever you want, but I am sorry to inform you that this is NOT at all a hoax story.(May I suggest that you check my posting history and see if you find anything that would class me as a hoaxer here on ATS)

And my wife is not a character thank you very much.

Yes my wife has a background in biological science... were you expecting her to say something like "well the supposed UFO was roughly (according to the FIFA) 45m x 90m and max dimensions of 90m x 120m but however the supposed UFO could also have been 64m x 100m and max to 75m x 110m if the field was for official matches or international competition."?

The term might be ill fitting for you Phoenix and I respect your opinion, but I asked my wife about the size and gave her examples such as (size of a bus, house, football field etc...) and football field was the nearest comparison she could come up with.

I am not going to justify the creation of this thread with you any further as I have a clear conscience about what my wife and I discussed.

Thanking for understanding.

Warmest

Lags

edit on 17-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Crap editing

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   

No thats fine i was explaining my thought process.

The idea that you had to give her a list of examples to make a comparison to seems even stranger. Most people would be able to make a size comparison to something without having to be given a list. Of course in built up areas its even easier to make a size comparison to something in sight at the time. I your story you just said she said it was as big as a football field. Not that she couldn't tell the size until you gave her a list of increasingly larger things to compare it against. People just dont react to questioning like that. If you ask someone 'was it as big as a car' they will usually react 'yes' or 'no, its was as large as a..(whatever)'. They dont just keep saying no until you provide them with something they will agree with.

I have to admit to me its sounding even less believable now.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This exact thing happened to my Dad and Brother when they were unloading some folding chairs from a truck back in 1998 or so in NW Washington. They say they saw a huge craft made up of football field sized rectangle slabs interconnected by smaller narrow rectangle pieces and hundreds of multi-colored lights. It flew from Horizon to Horizon going due East and was gone within 20 seconds.

They mentioned the sighting that evening but seemed to be unable to think clearly when talking about it. As if remembering or talking about it took a lot of effort to do so. Very strange. They still have this issue when talking about it all these years later.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Not everyone has the same thought process as you Phoenix.

You don't know and have never met my wife so you do not know how she reacts/reacted and I am only relaying this incident using her own words, (with the help of myself for asking to compare the size to different examples as listed above.) The answer she gave was not a simple "yes" or "no" she actually said "something around the side of a football field".

Just for info, the boarding school where she studied was smack bang in the middle of the countryside so I guess it was not easy for her to compare sizes. (I mentioned in my OP that the boarding school was in a small town but omitted to say that it was on the outskirts of the town of Vendôme)

And I said in my OP this sighting took place back in 1989 and my wife discussed this incident with me only about 2 years ago.

So we are talking 26 years ago from the date of the incident until when my wife recalled this incident in the best detail she could describe.

Anyway, can we please stop playing verbal ping pong now as I think everyone has understood that YOU think that this thread is a hoax, I would appreciate if you would let this conversation now get back onto topic please.

Getting back onto topic I would again like to ask the original question in my first post which was the following :

Has anyone else who thinks they have sighted UFOs experienced this type of "erasing" of memory only for it to come back years later?

Warmest

Lags

edit on 17-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Town added

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
This exact thing happened to my Dad and Brother when they were unloading some folding chairs from a truck back in 1998 or so in NW Washington. They say they saw a huge craft made up of football field sized rectangle slabs interconnected by smaller narrow rectangle pieces and hundreds of multi-colored lights. It flew from Horizon to Horizon going due East and was gone within 20 seconds.

They mentioned the sighting that evening but seemed to be unable to think clearly when talking about it. As if remembering or talking about it took a lot of effort to do so. Very strange. They still have this issue when talking about it all these years later.

Do you know if this was reported to Mufon or any other authority at the time, were there any other witnesses (local papers etc?)

Did you or your Dad or brother investigate any further?

Have a look at the lists below :

www.mnmufon.org...

thecid.com...

Warmest

Lags
edit on 17-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Links added

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I didnt say thought process , i said reaction to questioning.

Getting back onto topic I would again like to ask the original question in my first post

I can understand why you would want to change the subject at this point. You had no problem talking about the first part of your op with people until i started to dissect it, now when challenged you want to claim its off topic.

So first you said she said it was the size of a football field and then you changed it to "but I asked my wife about the size and gave her examples such as (size of a bus, house, football field etc...) and football field was the nearest comparison she could come up with. " and now you are changing it back to it was her who said 'something around the size of a football field'.

Has anyone else who thinks they have sighted UFOs experienced this type of "erasing" of memory only for it to come back years later?

Most strange "Has anyone else who 'thinks' they have sighted UFOs", sounds like you are less than convinced about the validity of the sighting now.

Im sure theres some people who will think im picking on you but im just pointing out things that dont add up. As someone who has several members of the family in law enforcement you cant help growing up learning a lot about questioning/interrogation and certain traits in statements stand out a mile. No problems, ill let you get back to the 'real' subject in your thread unless you want to take it further.

edit on 17-2-2017 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

It was reported to Mufon. Case number 30404... I reported it for my Dad. It took me a few weeks of prodding to get more details from him and my Brother since they kept having some kind of mental barricade whenever they would try to recall details of it, but each time I asked them for more details they would remember some other little thing about it.

I did a search on these types of sightings where people can't remember much, or have an after effect where they have trouble thinking about their sightings, and surprisingly there are quite a few cases where this has happened..

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Most strange "Has anyone else who 'thinks' they have sighted UFOs", sounds like you are less than convinced about the validity of the sighting now.

Im sure theres some people who will think im picking on you but im just pointing out things that dont add up. As someone who has several members of the family in law enforcement you cant help growing up learning a lot about questioning/interrogation and certain traits in statements stand out a mile. No problems, ill let you get back to the 'real' subject in your thread unless you want to take it further.

I must congratulate you as you are very good with your words, this must give you a wonderful intellectual erection?

I do not wish for this thread to turn into a non stop attack/response thread, which is clearly what you are trying to do here being so argumentative, but believe what you wish and as I mentioned earlier on lets get back to the topic question on hand.

If you clearly think that this thread is a hoax then REPORT it.

I am very happy for you and your community that members of your family are in Law enforcement, however, I am not a criminal and have a very clear conscience.

Now please will you stop derailing this thread and respect the fact that other members may want to contribute in a more positive manner.

I am finished with you on this.

Thank you

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

It was reported to Mufon. Case number 30404... I reported it for my Dad. It took me a few weeks of prodding to get more details from him and my Brother since they kept having some kind of mental barricade whenever they would try to recall details of it, but each time I asked them for more details they would remember some other little thing about it.

I did a search on these types of sightings where people can't remember much, or have an after effect where they have trouble thinking about their sightings, and surprisingly there are quite a few cases where this has happened..

Thanks for that NCA

Have they undergone Hypnotherapy or would they be willing to do so?

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I was nt derailing the thread, you presented the story and i was analysing it. If you didnt want anyone to question it then you shouldnt have presented it in the first place.

Also you cant ask someone to not take part in 'your' thread just because you are not liking what they are saying. ATS is about discussion and getting to the truth of anything presented. It is very wrong to label someone as 'argumentative' , 'negative' , attacking you or derailing the thread when when they are simply trying to get to the truth of info YOU have presented. You can not dictate that people can only contribute if they agree with you, it goes against the spirit of the site.

I have been nothing but polite and have stayed well within the limits of the T&C's. Like i said im happy to leave it as you uncomfortable discussing it in any more detail. you didn't have to come back at me with accusations and character assassinations in your last post. But as you did please don't go on complaining that i respond to what you have just said.

edit on 17-2-2017 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

ATS is about discussion and getting to the truth of anything presented.

Look... I told the truth in my original post... WHAT more do you expect??? Some people can only go so far.

I cannot give you any further information concerning the incident as that is all there is to give and if you are not happy with that then sorry for not being able to satisfy your requirements, ok?

Thank you

Lags
edit on 17-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Word added

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Being honest and realistic about it seeing a UFO is not the sort of thing you forget in a hurry. Surely if a person has no memory of seeing a UFO then it means they didn't see one

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join